Author Topic: Can't anyone just have a common cold in this COVID era anymore?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Can't anyone just have a common cold in this COVID era anymore?
« on: December 09, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »
Hopefully this won't sound like a bouncy story, I promise. Certainly there are no tall tales, nor prefacing my post with "so", cops coming out from behind the bushes, nor any affirming applause.

Last Friday, could just feel that I had a nasty cold coming on. Even throughout the Chinese Wuhan Red Death period, I haven't had any semblance of a cold since January 2017. Only know the time frame because it was when I traveled to D.C. for President Trump's inauguration. To digress to the current issue, felt dreadfully awful last weekend, took some Mucinex, NyQuil, and suffered through. The exact same symptoms many of us have suffered through in our live, in other words no freaking big deal.

Called my boss late afternoon Sunday and asked if I could work remotely on Monday as I often do late in the calendar month when the monthly business cycle slows down. She approved and told me I sounded awful, and hopefully put in a few hours Tuesday and Wednesday when my physical presence would be actually necessary. Popped in Tuesday morning, did my usual due diligence and had an occasional coughing fit, semi-tempered with coffee and cough drops. Stayed until about 2:00 and dragged my tired butt home.

After I left the office, got an e-mail from the HR director, with whom I'm on a quite friendly basis. She "typed" that "Acme Incorporated has become aware that some of your co-workers are uncomfortable and concerned that you could have COVID-19, RSV, or the flu and should not be physically present in the office until you've been medically approved to do so". Now this is Grade-A HR corporate bullshit that she was typing to me to cover her ass and she knew it was. Which she acknowledged privately subsequently. Actually had one of those "free" at-home COVID tests and took the sucker and it was negative as expected.

My immediate boss really had nothing to opine, while still praising my work considering I kept doing my job either in person or remotely per usual. Started to feel a modicum better on Wednesday and went for a full day of work in a significant period in prior month-end closing process and did the same for Thursday and today.

With that having been said, why can't we all just have a damn freaking cold and not freak out about it anymore? :censored: :censored: :censored:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

Re: Can't anyone just have a common cold in this COVID era anymore?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 09:06:32 PM »
Have you emailed a full-sized pic of your negative dipstick test to the jerkasoid HR twerp?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 09:08:09 PM »
With that having been said, why can't we all just have a damn freaking cold and not freak out about it anymore? :censored: :censored: :censored:

I agree with you Ralphie, even 'though we both really know the reason why. 

One question ...

Just what do your 3 smilie   :censored:  emoticons stand for?   :-)

Being of British heritage, my first two always stand for ...

"Bollocks" and "pish tosh", and the third one, that good old standby  BS!!! 

~ ABC

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:17:27 PM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 12:52:52 PM »
Have you emailed a full-sized pic of your negative dipstick test to the jerkasoid HR twerp?

I don't send any dipstick pictures to anyone. :lmao:

Um, no. Nor was it required. She's a very cool gal who was probably responding to some whiny hypochondriac bitch in the office. As many of us have discovered, Human Resources departments have changed over the years to be FAR to overly proactive.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »

I agree with you Ralphie, even 'though we both really know the reason why. 

One question ...

Just what do your 3 smilie   :censored:  emoticons stand for?   :-)

Being of British heritage, my first two always stand for ...

"Bollocks" and "pish tosh", and the third one, that good old standby  BS!!! 

~ ABC

The "censored" emoticons stand for whatever profanity you prefer. I've always enjoyed British profane terms, which many Americans don't understand. While I'm not a major Monty Python fan, I figure many Americans of a certain age have learned the British humor or "humour" via Python.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 01:07:41 PM »
The "censored" emoticons stand for whatever profanity you prefer. I've always enjoyed British profane terms, which many Americans don't understand. While I'm not a major Monty Python fan, I figure many Americans of a certain age have learned the British humor or "humour" via Python.

On my First visit to England I was riding a cab from the airport into London and someone had sprayed on the wall Nigel is a bloody wanker. That always makes me smile when I think about it lol
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »
Um, no. Nor was it required. She's a very cool gal who was probably responding to some whiny hypochondriac bitch in the office. As many of us have discovered, Human Resources departments have changed over the years to be FAR to overly proactive.

Glad to hear you have a cool HR person. I'm pretty sure many/most at my company are as well, since many/most are immigrants not steeped in US liberal arts baloney (and some from the US are probably OK as well). Other than when hiring on or leaving a company I try to minimize contact with HR.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 04:35:01 PM »
On my First visit to England I was riding a cab from the airport into London and someone had sprayed on the wall Nigel is a bloody wanker. That always makes me smile when I think about it lol

Ok Grumpy, this one's especially for you.

Have not had the occasion to use it yet, but would love to do it.  It even makes me laugh.

Ready?  When folks get all upset about something and become unglued, Is when I'd like to say ...

Don't get your knickers in a twist!  :-)

~ ABC

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 04:38:31 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 05:12:18 PM »
Ralphie -- this is one of the MANY reasons I told the work force to pound sand up their asses.

Ain't gonna play their game. It's been 4 years of unmitigated bliss, especially the part about not having to put up with the insane traffic morons.

HR's SOLE reason to exist isn't to serve the employees. It's to protect the company. And since there are WAAAAAAAAAY too many snowflakes in the work force anymore, it doesn't take much to prompt HR to protect themselves on behalf of the company.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 06:36:07 PM »
See, this is the beauty of me being the self-employed business owner. I answer to me.. my wife.  :p

Seriously though, a lot of "The Crud" going around. Just last week I had to go to Urgent Care. Tested positive for the Flu. Felt crappy for a couple days. Thats about it. Worst part, lingering cough.  :whatever:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
See, this is the beauty of me being the self-employed business owner. I answer to me.. my wife.  :p

Seriously though, a lot of "The Crud" going around. Just last week I had to go to Urgent Care. Tested positive for the Flu. Felt crappy for a couple days. Thats about it. Worst part, lingering cough.  :whatever:

I remember a time when they didn't bother "testing" for flu. You just had it, or didn't have it. No big deal, other than feeling like crap for a few days.

The snowflakes and their gubmint lackeys have created an entirely new game.  :whatever:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022, 07:19:45 PM »
Ralphie -- this is one of the MANY reasons I told the work force to pound sand up their asses.

Ain't gonna play their game. It's been 4 years of unmitigated bliss, especially the part about not having to put up with the insane traffic morons.

HR's SOLE reason to exist isn't to serve the employees. It's to protect the company. And since there are WAAAAAAAAAY too many snowflakes in the work force anymore, it doesn't take much to prompt HR to protect themselves on behalf of the company.

Depending on the size of the company, the HR slime balls can be totally anonymous and vicious. Most places I've worked it has been small enough to not encounter such garbage. And I absolutely know which snowflake flagged me to HR, she's a whiny young gal in general regardless of COVID or illness.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 07:28:26 PM »
Glad to hear you have a cool HR person. I'm pretty sure many/most at my company are as well, since many/most are immigrants not steeped in US liberal arts baloney (and some from the US are probably OK as well). Other than when hiring on or leaving a company I try to minimize contact with HR.

Have lived my entire life in flyover country from the North Central plains to the Southwest, in both large to medium-sized metro areas. Despite what the coastal media derides us as, we aren't rubes but more importantly well educated rational people.

One of the worst workplace notifications ever is if someone from HR e-mails or stops by to schedule a "meeting" for just a few minutes. I've been on both the giving and receiving end of that transaction before.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 08:18:43 PM »

Glad that you are  not feeling so crappy any more RN ... also that you answer to your wife!  :-) Smart man indeed!!!  :clap: :clap:   :tongue:

And hope that that bloody cough will  also be going away soon. 

Hugs ~ ABC

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 11:30:15 PM »
Just did the dipstick drill. Have have cold/flu/something symptoms for almost a week. Didn't think it was Covid, but between my son and DIL visiting for Christmas and all the folks at work, I thought it a responsible thing to do. I tested negative, unsurprisingly and thankfully.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 06:28:54 AM »
I'm just getting over a cold.  We flew to AZ and back to Houston a couple of weeks ago and I got a cold a couple of days after we got home.  I came to work for a couple of days feeling like I might be getting a cold.  Woke up in my hotel at midnight on Wednesday morning feeling absolutely horrible.  I went to the office and grabbed my computer and notes and drove home.  Got to my house a little after 3am and went to sleep.

I worked from the house the rest of the week and went back to the office on Monday.  Felt really bad all week, but I stayed my distance from folks and refused to shake hands with anyone.  This week I'm almost over it so, I should be well and good for Christmas and New Years!

I don't have to worry about HR, really.  We're a construction company and our HR speaks construction worker very well.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »
I haven't had a cold since BC -- Before Covid.

Mrs. E brought Covid home with her from Italy in June 2022 when I had a bout with it, lasting about 4 days.

The differences I experienced between the common cold and Covid are:

1.  Chest versus sinus/head -- when a cold hits me, it usually goes right to my sinuses. Leaves the chest out of it. Not so with Covid. I developed a hacking cough that persisted throughout but left my head relatively alone.

2.  Fever -- I had a mild fever of about 101 in the 2nd day. Went away fairly quickly. A cold does not give me a fever at all.

3.  Voice -- associated with the chest element, I sounded like a croaking frog for about 3 days.

4.  General malaise -- a cold is an annoyance, but Covid punched me pretty good. Not for long, but I was not entirely happy for at least 2 days.

Mrs. E claims that her experience with Covid (almost nonexistent, though she brought it home to me) was a direct result of her having had at least two "boosters." I refuse to take any boosters at all.

If what I'm reading about the mRNA "vaccines" and their accompanying "boosters" are anywhere close to true, I'll take the 4 days of croakiness versus myocarditis any day.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 09:44:13 AM »
I typically get 1 or 0 colds a year. However, I do get runny nose in cold (don't laugh) weather and allergies in spring. I'm inclined to think that the masking stuff has diminished my immune system some by reducing casual encounters with various bugs (like a weight lifter or marathon runner who slacks off in their training).

This past week or two I've had runny nose, one side of my throat sore, and coughed more. Potentially Covid, but my energy level has been normal, and my O2 levels have been good. Do I didn't think I had Covid, but wanted to be sure (I'm surprised no coworker has expressed "concern").

The Covid symptoms I've heard of lately have especially been head ache, sore throat, and low energy. With some the symptoms linger, but that varies, probably with the degree of the original exposure and the phase of the Moon. It seems to take a while after symptoms go away for a dipstick test to be negative again, but that's at least partly due to the test not discerning between live viruses and dead viruses (and antigens therefrom).

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 11:23:28 AM »

Ha! Ha! love it "Before Covid"  :cheersmate:

<skip>

If what I'm reading about the mRNA "vaccines" and their accompanying "boosters" are anywhere close to true, I'll take the 4 days of croakiness versus myocarditis any day.

Good for you babe!  Please don't take the boosters!  I would prefer that Mr. ABC doesn't  take anymore shots, and especially boosters, either. However, is up to him, is his body, not mine.

As for me, was my choice to NOT take the "experimental, so called "vaccines"  at all, and instead chose to ramp up my immune system with vitamin supplements ...

Being the  vitamin freak that I am (as long as they are made in the USA, that is) has so far been working out for me & am willing to leave the rest of my days up to the man upstairs!

~ ABC

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:48:29 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 11:55:23 AM »
I've taken to describe certain recent events as "pre-Covid". It's become a useful time marker. I think we may have become "post-Covid" in the sense that we are post-Spanish-Flu.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 06:49:08 PM »

Mrs. E brought Covid home with her from Italy in June 2022 when I had a bout with it, lasting about 4 days.

The differences I experienced between the common cold and Covid are:

1.  Chest versus sinus/head -- when a cold hits me, it usually goes right to my sinuses. Leaves the chest out of it. Not so with Covid. I developed a hacking cough that persisted throughout but left my head relatively alone.

2.  Fever -- I had a mild fever of about 101 in the 2nd day. Went away fairly quickly. A cold does not give me a fever at all.

3.  Voice -- associated with the chest element, I sounded like a croaking frog for about 3 days.

4.  General malaise -- a cold is an annoyance, but Covid punched me pretty good. Not for long, but I was not entirely happy for at least 2 days.

Mrs. E claims that her experience with Covid (almost nonexistent, though she brought it home to me) was a direct result of her having had at least two "boosters." I refuse to take any boosters at all.

Interesting and my personal experience differs from yours. That's why we're all unique humans.

Per SVPete's edict, my "pre-Covid" colds were really similar and a couple of times ended up with my being diagnosed with walking pneumonia. However, it was the same malaise no matter the diagnosis. Since I've entered my early 50's, just try to be a touch more careful when a weird bug hits me. But as I posted to begin with, I haven't been sick since 2017.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 07:47:53 PM »
I've had The 'Rona once that I'm aware of. It wasn't fun, but for as many "exacerbating factors" as the CDC would say I have (not a spring chicken any more, type-1 diabetic, mild asthma) it also wasn't the death sentence the hand wringers and bed wetters have proclaimed it to be.

My point is that I refuse to cater to the hand wringers and test for The 'Rona every time my damned hay fever acts up. It's not a matter of being "manly" or fearing to see the results: it's that the results of the test will not alter one whit how I treat the bug. With my immune system, a cold bug lasts a couple of days; The 'Rona lasted a little longer than that, but I always give any bug a good week (a full calendar week, not some DUmb bid'ness week) after symptoms fully subside before I start going out in public again. Fortunately, I do have a good, strong immune system, and the ability to work from home while I'm keeping any cooties I might have had to myself.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 08:14:21 PM »
I've had The 'Rona once that I'm aware of. It wasn't fun, but for as many "exacerbating factors" as the CDC would say I have (not a spring chicken any more, type-1 diabetic, mild asthma) it also wasn't the death sentence the hand wringers and bed wetters have proclaimed it to be.

My point is that I refuse to cater to the hand wringers and test for The 'Rona every time my damned hay fever acts up. It's not a matter of being "manly" or fearing to see the results: it's that the results of the test will not alter one whit how I treat the bug. With my immune system, a cold bug lasts a couple of days; The 'Rona lasted a little longer than that, but I always give any bug a good week (a full calendar week, not some DUmb bid'ness week) after symptoms fully subside before I start going out in public again. Fortunately, I do have a good, strong immune system, and the ability to work from home while I'm keeping any cooties I might have had to myself.

I've posted this before, but one of the many gems from George Carlin, who was certainly not a MAGA Republican:

https://youtu.be/X29lF43mUlo

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2022, 08:16:09 PM »
Hi guys, should have added the following important words to my msg. #18 earlier today, as was ...
a "red flag warning signal " to me, re the so called "vaccines!".

If they were  manufacturing a product that was  continually  touted as safe &effective, then why did it  require blanket immunity from civil lawsuits,  ...

For IIRC ... 75  long years? Huh???

~ ABC

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 08:19:50 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2022, 08:54:42 PM »
Hi guys, should have added the following important words to my msg. #18 earlier today, as was ...
a "red flag warning signal " to me, re the so called "vaccines!".

If they were  manufacturing a product that was  continually  touted as safe &effective, then why did it  require blanket immunity from civil lawsuits,  ...

For IIRC ... 75  long years? Huh???

~ ABC

Whoa, hang on there, darlin'.  :afro:  You're lookin' where you ain't supposed to look. Dontcha know the lawyers are always on patrol and they're always looking for their next paycheck?