Author Topic: DUmp, In the Kitchen Ep #2  (Read 128 times)

Offline RuralNc

DUmp, In the Kitchen Ep #2
« on: November 03, 2022, 07:08:38 PM »
Welcome back. In this post, we will continue with condemnation of the DUmps best food offerings. Since im a Baker, I usually only find interest in their Baked Goods, with pictures, but occasionally the more unusual cooked items are fair game as well.

Like the last thread, Ill include a few posts all together. Pictures when the DUmmy posts pictures. Of course.  :fuelfire:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1157121186

NJCher (30,981 posts)

What's for Dinner, Thurs., Nov. 3, 2022

Creamy mushroom soup with onion, garlic, and celery. Cheese filled ravioli in the soup.

Thinly sliced ham and provolone sandwich on 21-seed bread with honey mustard.

Kohlrabi zoodles with toasted almonds and sesame-ginger dressing.

Wish I had some more squash blossoms. They are so good. I just wash them, fill with goat cheese, dip them in egg and tempura mix, and fry them. They turn out golden brown and are oh so delicious.

Oh well, next trip to the garden. The weather is holding up here, so I'm likely to be able to pick more.

1. What the hell is wrong with you? You dont put Ravioli in soup. I might give it a pass if you tossed some Gnocchi in there. But thats really questionable.

2. 21 Seed bread? Really? I bake loaves of Multigrain, and a few others, but never felt the need to hunt up 21 seeds to put in the bread. But, lets move on. Ham and Provolone? Gouda or Munster would be far better, but whatever. Honey Mustard? You are disgusting.

3. So your dipping the Squash Blossoms in both Egg, a liquid, and Tempura, virtually a liquid. This is just not right..

Moving right along...

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1157121138

Jilly_in_VA (6,882 posts)

Spousal unit's birthday cake

I don't usually bake cakes from scratch, and this was no exception. He likes carrot cake, so the base was a Duncan Hines carrot cake mix, but I made it a soda pop cake with 12 oz. of diet ginger beer instead of the eggs and oil, and also added a can of crushed pineapple in juice (undrained). This morning I frosted it with homemade frosting consisting of one container of Zero Sugar Cool Whip, an 8 oz. container of whipped cream cheese, one teaspoon of vanilla, and a half cup of Swerve confectioner's style.

The proof of the pudding (or cake, in this case) will come when he gets into it this evening. (He's diabetic, therefore the substitutions.)

Alrighty. Lets talk cake. Lurking Mutts. 2 Points.

1. Unless youre making Texas Sheet Cake, then just about every "Birthday Style Cake" should be a minimum 2 layers. Instead of using a glass pyrex 9x13 casserole, go to ANY store and buy a couple 8x8s or similar. You bake 2 small cakes, and stack them. It just looks better. It will look like the "special person" in your life isnt a burden after all.

2. If the "special person" in your life is a DIABETIC they DONT NEED cake. At least, not 117 square inches of cake. I dont care how much stuff you subbed out. Speaking of, with that much artifical sweetner, the "spousal unit" is going to be on the throne until his next Birthday. Maybe thats the point. Maybe yall are into some freaky stuff. Maybe its a punishment cake.  :naughty:

Lets keep it going..

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1157121092

hippywife (21,397 posts)

As if the empty loaf pan wasn't enough evidence...

it was brought to my attention that we were out of cranberry bread. Hint: bake another. So, I did.

Your oven needs leveled. Please fix that. Possibly baking at the wrong temperature as well. As much sugar that is in a quick bread, it should be darker, and bloom more on top. So, we have a leaning, under baked, quick bread. Yum-o.

hippywife (21,397 posts)

4. I'm happy to share the recipe with you.

Last edited Tue Nov 1, 2022, 07:30 PM - Edit history (1)

I used this one:

https://www.marthastewart.com/314213/cranberry-bread

The only deviations I made the first time were: dark brown sugar instead of light, 1/2 a bag of whole frozen cranberries (full bag seemed like it would be a bit much, and I wasn't mistaken.)

Today, I made the same changes as above, plus: instead of butter, I used 3 T. veg oil, as I wanted to see how much difference changing the fat would make, I also added only 1/2 c of milk and about 3/4 cup yogurt, and a little orange extract.

It didn't come out like the photo on the site, at all. But we like how it came out better. It's also not very sweet, which we also liked.

Below is what it looks like, both times I made it, with a looser, cakier crumb:

ETA: I was just wondering aloud to husband if it wasn't the fact the berries were added to the batter frozen that changed the texture of the bread. The recipe doesn't specify either way, thawed or frozen. I'm probably going to have to experiment with that thought when this loaf is gone.

1. Lurking Mutts. When you start switching Fats around, dont be surprised when things change. Butter, has water in it. Oil, does not. Its not a direct swap. Butter gives, well, buttery flavor. Oil does not.

2.Swapping milk around is ok. Adding yogurt is actually a plus. Assuming you use Greek Yogurt. Not some crappy Yoplait.

3. Lets talk about the "Cranberry Situation". Mutt said:

The recipe doesn't specify either way, thawed or frozen.

Oh really? In the link provided, literally the second sentence of the description says "Fresh Cranberries". And, AND, they even UNDERLINED IT!

https://www.marthastewart.com/314213/cranberry-bread

For a fall breakfast, afternoon tea, or an anytime snack, this cranberry bread can’t be beat. It's an easy quick bread that's studded with fruit and has just the right balance of sweet and tart thanks to the fresh cranberries and brown sugar.

Fresh does not equal Frozen. Period. Between that mistake, swapping the fats around, and subbing yogurt, God only knows what the hydration level is. On top of that, you even switched the Brown Sugar. Brown Sugar has more molasses. Which means more mositure. Which means more product change.

Out of these 3, you are the winner, hippywife. You. Are. The. Winner. 

C'mon Mutts. Lets get those Holiday recipes posted. Include picture please.  :-)