Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325297 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #1800 on: January 19, 2023, 10:20:28 AM »
Speaking of "lazy man's chicken pot pie", I picked up one of these pre-made pot pies from Sam's Club yesterday.

Believing them to be somewhat palatable, I was wrong. Canned chicken (and precious little of it), canned peas and carrots, canned gravy, zero flavor.

The pot pies from Costco are 1,000% better. Don't buy one of these from Sam's Club.

Mrs. Callenders.  That is the only Pot Pie I'll eat.  They have some pretty good frozen food I keep in my refrigerator in my office so I don't go out as often. 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #1801 on: January 19, 2023, 12:56:11 PM »

Mrs. Callenders.  That is the only Pot Pie I'll eat.  They have some pretty good frozen food I keep in my refrigerator in my office so I don't go out as often. 

KC

Back when I was married, my wife would stock up on easy foods and frozen leftovers for me to make when she'd take a spring break or summer vacation (she's a teacher and we didn't always take simultaneous vacations). Even though she knew that I was a more than capable cook, it was sort of a motherly or wife thing to do.

But I digress...on one of those bachelor occasions, there happened to be a Mrs. Callender's pot pie in the freezer. Followed all the requisite directions and quite frankly it was damn near impossible to cook thoroughly. Either the crust would burn and the insides would be undercooked or vice versa. It did taste awfully good, especially after tossing it in the microwave to cook it more evenly.

My only experience with Chicken Pot Pies.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1802 on: January 19, 2023, 04:28:10 PM »
I agree. Mrs. Callendars stuff is tasty. Nothing wrong with keeping some of those in the freezer.

Meanwhile, tonights dinner. Made some flatbreads, but you can always buy some at the store. Anyways, topped with a white sauce, roasted garlic, marinated tomatoes, Kalamata's, and a few slices of whole Mozz.

Its our "once in a blue moon" vegetarian dinner.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1803 on: January 19, 2023, 09:51:03 PM »
I bought some beef for stew at $4.48 per pound. Oddly enough, the chuck roasts from which the stew beef came from was $5.62 per pound, so I went ahead and bought a flat of the stew beef.

Made up a pot of barbecue beef. Not quite as good as a bowl of red, but not bad. Seasonings - some cajun seasoning, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, a bit of brown sugar, s&p, worcestershire and a bit of A1. Some paprika and smoked paprika to round it out.

Seared the beef off in two batches, turned the heat down, added a large diced onion and 4 cloves of pressed garlic. Gave it a couple minutes, added some chicken stock, the seasonings, about a half-cup of ketchup, and let it simmer for a couple hours. Nice 'n tender.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 09:53:32 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1804 on: January 22, 2023, 06:38:15 PM »
Goulash.

Growing up, Goulash was a weekly staple in our house. Mom had 2 teenage boys to feed. Its cheap to make, and made with common pantry staples.

Traditional Goulash utilizes a modest amount of Paprika. Take it up to the next level with Smoked Paprika!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1805 on: January 22, 2023, 07:12:06 PM »
Goulash.

Growing up, Goulash was a weekly staple in our house. Mom had 2 teenage boys to feed. Its cheap to make, and made with common pantry staples.

Traditional Goulash utilizes a modest amount of Paprika. Take it up to the next level with Smoked Paprika!

No dinner tonight. I have a medical procedure tomorrow and I had to fast all day today. I baked off some chicken thighs yesterday, but the only person eating them is Mrs. E.  :bawl:

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #1806 on: January 22, 2023, 08:12:39 PM »
No dinner tonight. I have a medical procedure tomorrow and I had to fast all day today. I baked off some chicken thighs yesterday, but the only person eating them is Mrs. E.  :bawl:

Best of luck, I hope everything goes well.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #1807 on: January 22, 2023, 09:19:45 PM »

As do I Euph!!

Really came in to comment on dinner, but saw this & hope whatever it is you are having done, I pray turns out for the best darlin' ...

As for dinner, I made chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and gravy!

~ ABC
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #1808 on: January 22, 2023, 09:30:48 PM »
Back when I was married, my wife would stock up on easy foods and frozen leftovers for me to make when she'd take a spring break or summer vacation (she's a teacher and we didn't always take simultaneous vacations). Even though she knew that I was a more than capable cook, it was sort of a motherly or wife thing to do.

But I digress...on one of those bachelor occasions, there happened to be a Mrs. Callender's pot pie in the freezer. Followed all the requisite directions and quite frankly it was damn near impossible to cook thoroughly. Either the crust would burn and the insides would be undercooked or vice versa. It did taste awfully good, especially after tossing it in the microwave to cook it more evenly.

My only experience with Chicken Pot Pies.

Helpful hint, babe ...

If it has to bake for very long in a hot  oven, try putting foil wrap snugly on the crust all the way around, and then it shouldn't burn!

You're welcome!   :-)  ~ ABC
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:43:03 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1809 on: January 23, 2023, 05:08:32 PM »

It went very well, thanks. Now I can eat!  :yahoo:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1810 on: January 23, 2023, 05:11:15 PM »
As do I Euph!!

Really came in to comment on dinner, but saw this & hope whatever it is you are having done, I pray turns out for the best darlin' ...

As for dinner, I made chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and gravy!

~ ABC

Thankee, dear! Yes, it went very well. I gotta say, Propofol (the Michael Jackson drug that killed him) is one helluva anesthetic. I didn't remember a thing!  :-)

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1811 on: January 23, 2023, 06:07:27 PM »
Thankee, dear! Yes, it went very well. I gotta say, Propofol (the Michael Jackson drug that killed him) is one helluva anesthetic. I didn't remember a thing!  :-)

Glad it all went well. Last time I was put under, a couple years ago, I think I ate a whole large pizza when we got home. I was starving...

and speaking of, by pure coincidence, tonight's dinner was Pizza from a new place in town. Individual size pizzas customized to your liking, and baked in a large brick lined gas oven. Pizzas only bake for 2 or 3 minutes. Chewy, charred crust. Fantastic!

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #1812 on: January 23, 2023, 08:14:35 PM »
Glad it all went well. Last time I was put under, a couple years ago, I think I ate a whole large pizza when we got home. I was starving...

and speaking of, by pure coincidence, tonight's dinner was Pizza from a new place in town. Individual size pizzas customized to your liking, and baked in a large brick lined gas oven. Pizzas only bake for 2 or 3 minutes. Chewy, charred crust. Fantastic!

Uh oh!  Did you say "gas oven" ?  That's most likely a big no no for the future in Biden's America! :argh:

Good luck , to both you and your new pizza place RN, in the near future at least!

In the meantime enjoy it while you can!  And FJB til the cows come home, and then some!  (evil-grin)

~ ABC

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:48:32 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1813 on: January 24, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »

Since the whole adventure was done by 0930 yesterday morning, I decided to go home and cook my own breakfast. Hash browns with onions and bell peppers, bacon, and a sharp cheddar cheese omelet wrapped in homemade bread hit the spot. Didn't eat anything else except a chicken thigh in the early evening.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #1814 on: January 24, 2023, 06:17:31 PM »
Since the whole adventure was done by 0930 yesterday morning, I decided to go home and cook my own breakfast. Hash browns with onions and bell peppers, bacon, and a sharp cheddar cheese omelet wrapped in homemade bread hit the spot. Didn't eat anything else except a chicken thigh in the early evening.

Yum! My project tomorrow night is to make eggs and hash browns. My routine about once a month is that I'll grill jalapeno brats ($1.50 each) from the local grocery store for dinner (which I did last night), and then later that week I'll compose the eggs, with bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and one of the leftover brats.  I'll use about 6 or 7 eggs, and then have enough for breakfast for the next several days.

A labor of love that I'd like to think I've perfected. Never really add much to the hash browns but I'm willing to try adding in the same components that you've suggested.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1815 on: January 24, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »
Yum! My project tomorrow night is to make eggs and hash browns. My routine about once a month is that I'll grill jalapeno brats ($1.50 each) from the local grocery store for dinner (which I did last night), and then later that week I'll compose the eggs, with bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and one of the leftover brats.  I'll use about 6 or 7 eggs, and then have enough for breakfast for the next several days.

A labor of love that I'd like to think I've perfected. Never really add much to the hash browns but I'm willing to try adding in the same components that you've suggested.

So.. a frittata? I think thats right.

Anyhoo..

Tonights dinner. Soup and a Turkey Sammich. Mrs. RNC had oral surgery, so I made her a chocolate milkshake. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #1816 on: January 25, 2023, 03:42:32 PM »
So.. a frittata? I think thats right.

Anyhoo..

Hell, I don't know what it's called other than tasty and lord knows I don't want to be accused of cultural appropriation. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1817 on: January 25, 2023, 04:55:45 PM »
Hell, I don't know what it's called other than tasty and lord knows I don't want to be accused of cultural appropriation. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well, whatever it's called, I made something like it this morning for breakfast. I sweated some onions, bell peppers, and cooked ham in my 12" cast iron skillet from Stargazer, removed same, then put in some 3 tbsp of avocado oil and heated her up to smoking point. Dumped in some frozen hash browns, s&p, and let it get golden brown. Meanwhile, I scrambled a half dozen eggs and put in about 3 oz. of grated sharp cheddar with s&p into the eggs. When the hash browns were done, I spread the vegetable/ham mixture over the top and in a separate skillet, melted some butter and got the egg mixture going enough to spread over the top of the Stargazer. Under the broiler for a couple minutes, and presto, a very nice breakfast item indeed.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #1818 on: January 25, 2023, 07:28:32 PM »
Well, whatever it's called, I made something like it this morning for breakfast. I sweated some onions, bell peppers, and cooked ham in my 12" cast iron skillet from Stargazer, removed same, then put in some 3 tbsp of avocado oil and heated her up to smoking point. Dumped in some frozen hash browns, s&p, and let it get golden brown. Meanwhile, I scrambled a half dozen eggs and put in about 3 oz. of grated sharp cheddar with s&p into the eggs. When the hash browns were done, I spread the vegetable/ham mixture over the top and in a separate skillet, melted some butter and got the egg mixture going enough to spread over the top of the Stargazer. Under the broiler for a couple minutes, and presto, a very nice breakfast item indeed.

I do just about the same. I don't scramble the eggs before hand, just dump in and let them cook a bit then it's cover with sharp cheddar and put under the broiler to set.

The Stargazer line of cast iron looks' great! Alas, I still use my old Lodge.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:54:42 PM by Dblhaul »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1819 on: January 25, 2023, 07:45:37 PM »
I do just about the same. I don't scramble the eggs before hand, just dump in and let them cook a bit then it's cover with sharp cheddar and put under the broiler to set.

The Stargazer line of cast iron looks' great! Asas, I still use my old Lodge.

We could start a whole 'nother thread on cast iron cookware, but I have some Lodge as well -- well-seasoned after I had to work with it some. But the Stargazer 12-inch is my go-to cast iron skillet. It has a surface like a baby's butt and it takes seasoning like you wouldn't believe. I ordered one of the Stargazer braisers (14-inch), but they're having lots of difficulty finding a foundry that can make them to their specs, but when they do it should be a great pan.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1820 on: January 25, 2023, 08:16:17 PM »
We could start a whole 'nother thread on cast iron cookware...

I have quite a few pieces myself, but honestly, I prefer enameled cast iron. Im a "lazy cast iron chef".  :-)

Dinner tonight, Potato Soup. The Mrs. is on a soft food diet for a couple weeks following oral surgery, so were keeping it simple.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1821 on: January 26, 2023, 12:50:45 PM »
I have quite a few pieces myself, but honestly, I prefer enameled cast iron. Im a "lazy cast iron chef".  :-)

I have a Lodge dutch oven that's enameled. Have used it a ton -- but it's chipped in more than a few spots. Seasoning regular cast iron is no big deal, but it does mean being prompt about cleaning (kosher salt and a paper towel usually) but if it's really cruddy, I'll use a plastic scrubbie with water and no soap. Heat it up on the stove, add a bit of avocado or grapeseed oil, spread it around the inside, and after 10 minutes or so, it's done.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #1822 on: January 26, 2023, 03:59:15 PM »
Sockeye Salmon Fajitas tonight with rice and beans.

I have a few pieces of Lodge CI, do the stacked dutch ovens at times when I'm camping.
I'm a firm believer that everything tastes better when it's cooked outside!

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1823 on: January 26, 2023, 05:23:22 PM »
Tonights dinner. The Mrs. is still on a very soft food diet, due to Oral Surgery, but its slowly improving. Tonight we had what we call "Faux Asian". Simple as can be.

1.Saute your favorite stir-fry style veggies.

2.Toss in some protein of choice to cook.

3. While this is going, start the rice.

4. Once protein is cooking, build the sauce in the pan with meat and veggies. A few splashes of Rice Vinegar. Several splashes of Ponzu Sauce. Several more splashes of Soy Sauce. Then finally, several shots of Hoisin Sauce. Simmer till thickened.

I made a few modifications. I chopped the veg. very fine. For the protein, ground pork. I broke that up very well. The rice? Jasmati. But Basmati or Texmati would be excellent as well.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1824 on: January 27, 2023, 05:19:33 AM »
Last night's supper:

"Tater Tot Hot Dish" from Cook's Country (modified a wee bit)

Reconstitute about 2 cups of dried mushrooms in boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes. While that's going on, prepare the onion and garlic.

Saute in a dutch oven 1 medium onion, the reconstituted mushrooms, 4 cloves of minced garlic, some thyme, s & p, and 2 lbs. of ground chuck, crumbling the beef as it cooks. When the liquid is mostly gone, add about 3 tbsp of AP flour and combine/cook to make a roux.

Add about 1.5 cups of chicken broth/stock and 1.5 cups of milk. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add about 2 cups of parmesan cheese and allow to thicken a bit more.

Transfer to a 10" x 10" (or whatever size works for you) baking dish.

Sprinkle 1 cup of frozen corn and 1 cup of frozen peas on top of the mixture.

Place frozen tater tots across the top -- do not press into the mixture.

Bake at 425 for about 35-38 minutes or until the tots are done.

Cool for 15 minutes then serve with a salad.