Author Topic: Berkeley City Council Retreats From Anti-Marines Offensive, Voices Support for T  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Berkeley City Council Retreats From Anti-Marines Offensive, Voices Support for Troops

BERKELEY, Calif. —  City councilmembers who were heavily criticized for telling Marine recruiters they don't belong here have moderated their position, saying they oppose the war in Iraq but support the troops.

Berkeley's City Council voted two weeks ago to send a letter to a downtown recruiting station advising the U.S. Marines they are not welcome.

After a marathon session that stretched into early Wednesday, the council decided not to send the letter, saying they recognize recruiters' right to be in Berkeley. The council said they still strongly oppose the war and the recruitment of young people into it, but "deeply respect and support" the men and women of the armed forces.

Some on the council had pushed for issuing an apology. But others rejected that, saying they just wanted to clarify their position.

Councilwoman Linda Maio said the council opposes recruitment, not the military. "It's behavior that we oppose, not the people," she said.

The meeting drew hundreds of people on both sides of the issue who rallied from dawn until well into the night outside City Hall.

MORE

What a pile of  :censored: bovine excrement.   :banghead:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

"It's behavior that we oppose, not the people," she said.

Typical liberal "logic."

Friend, I am defined by what I do.  What I think and feel don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  If you oppose what I do, you oppose me.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

When asked about the council's decision to posthumously award Timothy McVeigh the keys to the city, Councilwoman Linda Maio said, "It's behavior that we oppose, not the person."

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
"We support the troops but not the war."

Heard that talking point a million times before.

Hey Berkley

:bird:
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
I think these people would rather admit their daughter works in a whorehouse than admit she dated a service member, regardless of branch.

I've seen their type before--things like duty, honor, commitment, are nothing more than punchlines to these clowns.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lauri

those Code Pink wackos were in on this ... saw it on the news with their head fruitcake, Medea Benjamin...

maybe when the Pink Clowns show up, the city council knew they were going to be a laughing stock?

Offline Chris_

those Code Pink wackos were in on this ... saw it on the news with their head fruitcake, Medea Benjamin...

maybe when the Pink Clowns show up, the city council knew they were going to be a laughing stock?
Nah, these idiots never had a clue.  They were completely shocked that the entire country "misunderstood" them.   :whatever:

Offline Lauri

Nah, these idiots never had a clue.  They were completely shocked that the entire country "misunderstood" them.   :whatever:

this is what the legacy of the Clintons gave us: people parse words for meaning instead of just saying, "we screwed up" ... like the public cant tell the difference.  :whatever: