Author Topic: Cardinals Manager La Russa Retires  (Read 1329 times)

Offline thundley4

Cardinals Manager La Russa Retires
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
Tony La Russa, who just managed the St. Louis Cardinals to the World Series title, announced this morning that he's retiring after 33 seasons.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says La Russa told team owner Bill DeWitt and the Cardinals' players about his decision Sunday evening.
NPR

This is surprising to say the least.  I never liked him, but I won't deny that he is a big reason for the Cardinals success.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Cardinals Manager La Russa Retires
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
Well, at age 67 he can hang up his uniform and still enjoy (hopefully) many years of retirement.

If you're going to go out, it's best to go out on top. Tony, ya done good and best of luck to ya.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Cardinals Manager La Russa Retires
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »
I read that he had told the team in August.  He went out on top, just like John Elway did.

And now the search for his replacement commences.  Terry Francona, perhaps?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.