Author Topic: There is a hidden problem with SS and Medicare  (Read 568 times)

Offline FaC

There is a hidden problem with SS and Medicare
« on: February 12, 2020, 03:52:37 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212981552

shockey80 (3,027 posts)

There is a hidden problem with SS and Medicare. Here is my idea on how to fix it.
First of all, raising the retirement age is flat out cruel and immoral to all the men and women who spend their entire lives building and repairing America with their arms and their backs. It is sad, when the people who raise the retirement age on the Americans who do the heavy lifting for our country, the heaviest thing they have lifted in their lives is the pen to write or sign the bill that raises the retirement age.

The people who do the heavy lifting in our country take great pride in their work. However, over their decades of work they pay a heavy price. Their bodies begin to wear out. Many of them get injured, go home and heal up and go right back to work. Many of them never completely heal and they still go back to work. They work in pain waiting till they can get SS and Medicare. It's not fair, It's cruel.

Here is my idea that would help these Americans. It is not perfect but it would help. Most of the people who do the heavy lifting for our country start working these physical jobs as soon as they leave high school. Most people who do not do the heavy lifting go to college and don't start working full time until they are in their 20's. Right now you have to wait till your 62 to get SS and 65 to get Medicare.

I believe we should have another qualification, besides age, in order to qualify for SS and Medicare. Number of years working full time. I believe 40 years of full time work would work well. People who graduate high school at 18, or drop out earlier, and then start working full time would be able to collect SS and Medicare around 58 years old if they wanted to. These are the people that do the heavy lifting. People who go to college don't start working full time until they are in their 20's. Therefore after 40 years of work they would be around 62. Which aligns with the age requirement we have now.

Being able to collect SS and Medicare at 58 instead of 62 and 65 doesn't sound like much. However, I have no doubt it would transform the lives of the millions of Americans who build our country with their backs. It would be a god send.

shockey80 is going to get run off the island once the other inhabitants figure out that he is pushing for each of them to actually have to work 40 years before they can qualify for Social Security and Medicare.

Offline thundley4

Re: There is a hidden problem with SS and Medicare
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »
I thought the DUmmie might have a good idea when he talked about hard labor vs college kids. But nope, it went right past him.

They keep raising the retirement age for everyone.  The problem is that 40 years of swinging a hammer or shoveling coal is much more  physically demanding than sitting at a desk .

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
I thought the DUmmie might have a good idea when he talked about hard labor vs college kids. But nope, it went right past him.

They keep raising the retirement age for everyone.  The problem is that 40 years of swinging a hammer or shoveling coal is much more  physically demanding than sitting at a desk .
But but but.... what about the gout while waiting on those unemployment checks?
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Online 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »
But but but.... what about the gout while waiting on those unemployment checks?

Most of the DUmmies are angling to get on SSDI for their PTSD because of the bad Orange man , it certainly pays better.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:06:56 PM »
Do they ever think of anything outside of getting someone else to pay for them being lazy?