Author Topic: If True, What Did Joe Paterno Know?  (Read 71422 times)

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
If True, What Did Joe Paterno Know?
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:49:34 AM »

If True, What Did Joe Paterno Know?
Allegations against former assistant Jerry Sandusky raise questions about coach

By Jeff MacGregor
ESPN.com
Updated: November 7, 2011, 3:33 PM ET

The damage control began in earnest Sunday night. The lawyering. The spin. The sudden return to retirement; the midnight administrative leave. The Nixonian press release. Everyone "shocked." Everyone "deeply troubled."

If true, the staggering liability. If true, the panicked cover-up.

If true. "We were all fooled."

By the time you read this, Joe Paterno might have resigned. Or worse yet, not resigned. Former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky has been indicted on scores of counts of felony sexual abuse of minor boys. Penn State officials have been indicted and charged with perjury.

If true? Another American tragedy. If true? Another abject failure of moral obligation. And if true, the story for as long as it lasts -- 24 more hours or the next hundred years -- will be a question: "What did Joe know, and when did Joe know it?"

*snip*

In other words -- If True -- I didn't know anything. Once informed of something, I did the minimum: I kicked it up the chain, looked away and chose never to think of it again.

If Paterno knew something and did nothing, he's an accessory. If he didn't know, he should have known. Such are the burdens of omniscience as understood by the cult of the Division I football coach.

*snip*

The failure here is complete. Utter. The failure of the institution and the failure of the individual. The failure of the community. The failure of common decency.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7202768/if-allegations-true-did-penn-state-coach-joe-paterno-know-when

My fellow cavers, I cannot put into words how utterly sick this mess at Penn State has made me.  Joe-Pa has had a legendary career and (for the most part) has done his best to maintain a standard for his players and program while keeping the stain of scandal off of his school.  This kicking of an incident up the chain of command with no follow up action is a total collapse of leadership.  Good, bad, ugly, otherwise - it's his program and he's ultimately responsible.  No child should have ever been assaulted and nothing done to make sure it never happened again.

Ever.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: If True, What Did Joe Paterno Know?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »
Just finished reading the Grand Jury findings........One of the most disturbing instances of child sex abuse i have ever read...I really hope he didn't know anything because if he did they should bury him and Jerry Sanduskey under the jail!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Joe Pa will quietly resign by the end of the season.  Doubtful he'll even attend the bowl game they play in at the end of the year.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
Yeah, it's a mess, and the fact that there were witnesses who didn't even make an attempt to stop the act is a sad statement on morals in America today.

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
Sick bastard.  :censored:  The problem is, when Sandusky goes to jail, Bubba will give him hot meat injections that Sandusky will love.

At that point, they'll break out the crowbar.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »
Joe Pa will quietly resign by the end of the season.  Doubtful he'll even attend the bowl game they play in at the end of the year.

It may be sooner than that.

Penn State said to be planning Paternos exit.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »
Check this link out too.

http://a.abcnews.com/Blotter/sandusky-investigator-center-mystery/story?id=14905668

Boy howdy, if they connect this to them too...huge.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »
"I didn't want to leave college football to the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world."~Joe Paterno

Yeah, that'd be a real shame, Joe...you snake.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
Check this link out too.

http://a.abcnews.com/Blotter/sandusky-investigator-center-mystery/story?id=14905668

Boy howdy, if they connect this to them too...huge.

Check this out as well:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/former_centre_county_da_ray_g.html

This is starting to get really ugly for Pedo State University.  I personally hope they take the whole pseudo-intellectual, queer loving lot of the university admin down as well as the useless DAs.

C.S. Lewis

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Sad end to Joe Paterno's career. He has had a stellar career with few screwups...until this.

He's known for years, and turned his head the other way.

For someone who had few screw ups...the one he does make....is beyond the pale.

Those boys all needed someone to stand for them. When it was time for Joe to do the heavy lifting....he turned his back.

Go to hell, Joe Paterno.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
And the hits keep on rollin' in:  Front-page editorial calls for PSU prez to resign.

You know you're in deep kimchi when there is an editorial on the front friggin' page of a local newspaper calling for your head as well as the coach.

C.S. Lewis

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »
And the hits keep on rollin' in:  Front-page editorial calls for PSU prez to resign.

You know you're in deep kimchi when there is an editorial on the front friggin' page of a local newspaper calling for your head as well as the coach.

Yep, and they cancelled the press conference today. I'm sure Paterno's attorney is already telling him to not speak about it until he is sworn in at the courthouse. All of these SOBs are looking at serious prison sentences.

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
I'm sorry, but if I ever caught someone sexually abusing a 10-year old, not only would I report it, but I'd tell the police to send an ambulance, too, because I would beat the everloving dog shit out of the perp.  He'd never get another erection the rest of his life.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
I'm sorry, but if I ever caught someone sexually abusing a 10-year old, not only would I report it, but I'd tell the police to send an ambulance, too, because I would beat the everloving dog shit out of the perp.  He'd never get another erection the rest of his life.

Uh....not to be flip, but whatcha gonna do when the perp is a gal?  :popcorn:

Offline Death

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »
I'm going to pin this due to the protracted nature and immense scope of this story.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 08:49:09 AM »
I'm going to pin this due to the protracted nature and immense scope of this story.

Thanks, Death (feels really odd thanking "Death" for anything).   :-)

Here's a timeline from Fox Sports.:  http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Penn-State-sex-abuse-case-timeline-of-key-dates-Jerry-Sandusky-110711

C.S. Lewis

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »
The guy is 84 years old, fer Chrissakes. Go home and watch the game on TV, Joe.  :whatever:

I recall reading elsewhere that back in 2004, Paterno essentially told the university president to pound sand, that he wasn't retiring.

Had he done so at that time, maybe he wouldn't be retiring in the manner in which he is now.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 09:19:20 AM »
Sad end to Joe Paterno's career. He has had a stellar career with few screwups...until this.

He's known for years, and turned his head the other way.

For someone who had few screw ups...the one he does make....is beyond the pale.

Those boys all needed someone to stand for them. When it was time for Joe to do the heavy lifting....he turned his back.

Go to hell, Joe Paterno.

My sentiments, verbatim. Hi-5.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »
Looks like "joepa" is "retiring" after this season!  :whatever:http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/11/penn-state-joe-patern-resignation/1

The more this "scandal" unravels and the more is revealed, I don't think he'll make it to the end of the season.

C.S. Lewis

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I would have done more.~Joe Paterno

http://abcnews.go.com/US/joe-paterno-quits-calls-sex-abuse-scandal-great/story?id=14913848

::)

Looks like Joe decided to pull the ol' "I'm sorry we finally got caught" chestnut out on us. The allegations kept coming for multiple instances and years, Joe. When were you finally going to take time out of your "busy" schedule to look deeper into the fact that your defensive coordinator was a habitual child molester and was activily facilitated by the athletic department up until LAST WEEK?

Yep, Joe Paterno...key innovator of the "pervert defense".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:32:34 PM by Death »

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/joe-paterno-quits-calls-sex-abuse-scandal-great/story?id=14913848

::)

Looks like Joe decided to pull the ol' "I'm sorry we finally got caught" chestnut out on us. The allegations kept coming for multiple instances and years, Joe. When were you finally going to take time out of your "busy" schedule to look deeper into the fact that your defensive coordinator was a habitual child molester and was activily facilitated by the athletic department up until LAST WEEK?

Yep, Joe Paterno...key innovator of the "pervert defense".

Considering the quote behind his statue at Pedo State, I, too, wonder what will be the historian's verdict on Joe Paterno.

Edited for formatting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:34:06 PM by Death »

C.S. Lewis

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
Penn State President Graham Spanier will quit or be fired today in wake of Sandusky charges, source says

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_president_graham_sp.html

The president of the most queer tolerant university in America brought down by a queer.  This thing is getting bigger by the day.

C.S. Lewis

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
If you have blood pressure issues, I strongly advise against clicking the following link:

Mothers of two of Jerry Sandusky's alleged victims lash out at Penn State officials' handling of scandal

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/mothers_of_two_of_jerry_sandus.html

C.S. Lewis