Author Topic: Rep. Nadler Moves to Prevent Pre-Emptive White House Pardons  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Rep. Nadler Moves to Prevent Pre-Emptive White House Pardons
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »
Rep. Nadler Moves to Prevent Pre-Emptive White House Pardons
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Jerrold Nadler (NY-08), Chair of the Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties, introduced a Resolution in the House of Representatives demanding that President Bush refrain from issuing pre-emptive pardons of senior officials in his Administration during the final 90 days of office.  H.RES.1531 is in response to President Bush’s widespread abuses of power and potentially criminal transgressions against our Constitution.  The Resolution aims to prevent undeserved pardons of officials who may have been co-conspirators in the President’s unconstitutional policies, such as torture, illegal surveillance and curtailing of due process for defendants.

“This Resolution declares that we will not tolerate a last minute attempt by President Bush to shelter his cronies – cronies who may well be guilty of serious criminal offenses – from the full force of the law,” said Rep. Nadler.  “President Bush must not excuse his own officials from possibly illegal acts committed outside the context of their official duties.  Such pardons would merely obfuscate the truth and amount to a gross miscarriage of justice.”

(more...)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Rep. Nadler Moves to Prevent Pre-Emptive White House Pardons
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
Too bad it's in the Constitution, and has been upheld by previous courts.

Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution gives the president "Power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment."  A reprieve reduces the severity of a punishment without removing the guilt of the person reprieved.  A pardon removes both punishment and guilt.

As judicially interpreted, the president's power to grant reprieves and pardons is absolute.  Individual reprieves and pardons cannot be blocked by Congress or the courts.  The Framers of the Constitution envisioned the pardon power has having a narrow purpose in times of war and rebellion.  The president might offer pardons to rebellious factions as an inducement for a laying down of arms and national reconciliation.  Alexander Hamilton argued  in the Federalist Papers (No. 74) that "in seasons of insurrection or rebellion, there are often critical moments, when a well-timed offer of pardon to the insurgents or rebels may restore the tranquillity of the common wealth; and which, if suffered to pass unimproved, it may never be possible afterwards to recall."

http://igs.berkeley.edu/library/pardon.html
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »
Oh Mr. President, you have to do it now. 

Nadler you total jackass.   :bigbird: 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »

What an idiot and a jerk.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »
The irritating thing about those POS stupid-ass resolutions (besides the fact they're useless documents except that the jerks who write them can point to them and say, "Look Mommy! See what I did! I made poopy!") is the bullshit phrase, "It is the sense of the......"

If the ****ing House of Representative had any SENSE they wouldn't be writing these useless documents on the taxpayer's dime.

****ing asshats.  :bird:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
The irritating thing about those POS stupid-ass resolutions (besides the fact they're useless documents except that the jerks who write them can point to them and say, "Look Mommy! See what I did! I made poopy!") is the bullshit phrase, "It is the sense of the......"

If the ****ing House of Representative had any SENSE they wouldn't be writing these useless documents on the taxpayer's dime.

****ing asshats.  :bird:

The really irritating thing about this is someone in congress feels perfectly free to present something so blatantly unconstitutional....and he is PROUD of it. 

In a pure world of the USA, even presenting something this anti-Constitutional should have his ass in front of a committee.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 12:47:51 AM »
The really irritating thing about this is someone in congress feels perfectly free to present something so blatantly unconstitutional....and he is PROUD of it. 

In a pure world of the USA, even presenting something this anti-Constitutional should have his ass in front of a committee.

Or immediately be expelled. if you don't know the Constitution any better than this, what the hell are you doing in office in the first place?

Asshat!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 06:51:42 AM »
While this article made my blood boil I had to laugh too.  I don't think I have read the word asshat more times in my life than I have in the 15 minutes I have been reading stuff on CC this morning. :rotf:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 07:12:18 AM »
And we wonder why our elected officials scored WORSE on that civics exam than the average Joe.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 07:46:44 AM »

What an idiot and a jerk.

That chick may be an attention whore, but she's far better to look at than Nadler.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:46:19 PM »
Congressional resolutions have all the power and significance of a fart in a windstorm.  However, Bush isn't likely to have the balls to do it in the first place, based on his record to date.  It will end up looking like he actually paid attention to this BS resolution, though the reality will be the thought just never crossed his mind beforehand.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:48:26 AM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 10:01:21 PM »
Oh Mr. President, you have to do it now.

Man, I surely hope so.  He has to do it now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 07:38:33 PM »
What a great big poke in the eye of the lefty loons and the MSM if President bush would pardon everyone the DUmmies hate.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »
For one, I'd hate to see Bush pull the same kind of crap that Slick Willie pulled just before he unassed the Oval Orifice.

What's wrong is wrong, irrespective of the political party. Marc Rich no more deserved a pardon than Obama is qualified to be president. But both events happened, unfortunately.

No, I think Bush will be true to his principles right up to the end. He may pardon a person or two, but I just don't think that he'll be pardoning a sizeable percentage of the population of Attica State Prison, which is about what Slick Willie did. [/exaggeration]

I wouldn't mind seeing Bush pardon those two Border Patrol agents who were cashiered, regardless of the circumstances. I think those guys put their lives on the line and they deserve a break. The punk they shot in the ass wound up back in trouble, so in my view, the only wrong that was committed was that the perp wasn't put down permanently the first time.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:32:42 AM »
Something needs noted here; surely I'm not the only person who's seen it.

Pardons by the Impeached One were given to "big names," big-time criminals.

Pardons given thus far by George Bush have been given to "little people."

I guess that should speak volumes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »
Quote from:
Congressman Jerrold Nadler (NY-08), Chair of the Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties, introduced a Resolution in the House of Representatives demanding...

Demanding???  Demanding!?!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.