Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Vegetable?  (Read 7048 times)

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
Re: What Is Your Favorite Vegetable?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »
Good grief Rose why not ?????

Summer is when the beef steak tomatoes first arrive and oh the glory of a sandwitch of tomatoes, mayo, salt and pepper.

Some people put sugar on tomatoes but I use salt.  A Filipino friend taught me that for some reason putting salt on fruit brings out the natural sweetness much better then sugar.

There's nothing better (IMO) than a tomato sandwich with mayo and salt when the tomato is still warm from being picked from the yard -- and I HATED tomatoes as a kid! Drove my parents nuts! :mental:

Salt is also what I use to sweat out the bitterness from eggplant slices before cooking.  Salt the slices and let them sit for an hour (or so) and then rinse.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline debk

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
There's nothing better (IMO) than a tomato sandwich with mayo and salt when the tomato is still warm from being picked from the yard -- and I HATED tomatoes as a kid! Drove my parents nuts! :mental:

Salt is also what I use to sweat out the bitterness from eggplant slices before cooking.  Salt the slices and let them sit for an hour (or so) and then rinse.

I remember, as a kid, going into my mother's garden with her. She would have a salt shaker, and pick the ripe tomatoes off of the vine and we'd sit in the grass, sprinkle them with salt and eat them.

Thanks, Sue for the really neat memory....it was one of those "hiding" back in the deep gray matter...you mentioning the tomatoe still warm and parent right together brought it out... :heart:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:03:45 AM »
I remember, as a kid, going into my mother's garden with her. She would have a salt shaker, and pick the ripe tomatoes off of the vine and we'd sit in the grass, sprinkle them with salt and eat them.

Thanks, Sue for the really neat memory....it was one of those "hiding" back in the deep gray matter...you mentioning the tomatoe still warm and parent right together brought it out... :heart:

That is one of the best ways to enjoy a tomato, fresh off the vine and still warm from the sun.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »

:heart: backatcha, Deb.  I come across alot of old memories like that when I'm canning stuff during the summer since my mom was the one who taught me how to do it. We spent many hot summer days putting away vegetables and fruit.  Both she and my dad graduated HS during the Depression and nothing, especially not food, ever went to waste!
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline TJ

• Probationary (Probie)
  • The Pursuit Of Truth Is The Most Noble Quest
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
Roasted Brussels Sprouts drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar.  So Good!  I also like snap peas quite a bit. But honestly, I like most vegetables.

Fresh Brussel sprouts rock!  I'm trying again to grow them but they are tough.  My favorite is Asparagus, both because of the taste and that it's the first thing we get out of our garden in the spring.
I'm not bossy...I just have better ideas.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »
Folks........ for the record, tomatoes are fruits!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I like broccoli, but it has to be raw or maybe lightly steamed.

Vesta..... no wonder you have physical problems. Potatoes can aggravate arthritis, among other ailments. I am constantly reminded by Inga that they are a member of the nightshade family. It's not good to ingest so many potatoes.
What is this "nightshade" family?  I have arthritis...

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Any veggies are good except mushrooms and they don't like me another huge huge allergy with them
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »
Fresh Brussel sprouts rock!  I'm trying again to grow them but they are tough.  My favorite is Asparagus, both because of the taste and that it's the first thing we get out of our garden in the spring.

I planted those Brissel Sprouts one year and was amazed at how they grew up the stem of the plant.   Reminded me of Barnacles growing on pier posts in the river.

Wild growing field Asparagus is another favorite of mine.These came about when farms sold off their fields and the Asparagus had gone to seed.

If the land was left wild and UN mowed, these plants would grow to be huge--almost 3 foot tall and taste like cardboard.   The idea was to get them in the spring when they were less then a foot tall.

No one has mentioned the Fiddle Heads that come from the forest.  These delights are the new not yet opened leaves of the fern plants that grow in the North Western States.   Some States allow people to pick these baby's in season in state parks and they must get allot as they turn up each spring in the grocery stores in New Hampshire.

Come to think of it, they may grow here but so far I have not heard of local picked.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »
What is this "nightshade" family?  I have arthritis...

Tomatoes and Eggplant are both nightshades.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »
I planted those Brissel Sprouts one year and was amazed at how they grew up the stem of the plant.   Reminded me of Barnacles growing on pier posts in the river.

Wild growing field Asparagus is another favorite of mine.These came about when farms sold off their fields and the Asparagus had gone to seed.

If the land was left wild and UN mowed, these plants would grow to be huge--almost 3 foot tall and taste like cardboard.   The idea was to get them in the spring when they were less then a foot tall.

No one has mentioned the Fiddle Heads that come from the forest.  These delights are the new not yet opened leaves of the fern plants that grow in the North Western States.   Some States allow people to pick these baby's in season in state parks and they must get allot as they turn up each spring in the grocery stores in New Hampshire.

Come to think of it, they may grow here but so far I have not heard of local picked.

I seem to recall the little girl in Stephen King's "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" eating fiddleheads while she was lost in the Maine woods, so they probably do grow in New England.

I like broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, and tomatoes the most. But the only vegetable I really can't stand is okra.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 07:33:19 PM »
Tomatoes and Eggplant are both nightshades.

Ah the deadly nightshade a good old murder weapon used by Agathe Cristie to finish off an elderly relative with a heart problem.

Now Poke Salad in the south is really great, in TN. the people put scrambled eggs in it.    But I believe the Berry's are poison's.

It was said way back when that if a bird would not eat a berry, then you don't either.   

Then what is that Castor Bean that is used for arts and crafts that if dried and ground up makes a deadly concoction.

How can we forget tobacco and how deadly that can be if ingested in high doses.