Author Topic: Newest scheme to overturn election: Have SCOTUS strike down EC  (Read 1512 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Newest scheme to overturn election: Have SCOTUS strike down EC
« on: December 06, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »
Madam45for2923 (1,996 posts)

Why Bush v. Gore might mean that Clinton should be president: The EP argument against winner-take-al

Why Bush v. Gore might mean that Clinton should be president: The EP argument against winner-take-all: #1p1vote

https://twitter.com/lessig/status/805426166433742850

The Equal Protection argument against “winner take all” in the Electoral College 

It’s perfectly clear that the Attorney General of New York or California could walk into the Supreme Court tomorrow, and ask the Court to hear the case. Delaware tried to do this exactly fifty years ago, but the Court ducked the question. But based on that complaint, were I a citizen of California, I’d ask my current AG (and future Senator) why hasn’t CA done the same thing? And were I a citizen of New York, I’d ask my AG the same. Why are these big states standing by quietly as their voters are essentially silenced by the unconstitutional inequality?

https://medium.com/lessig/the-equal-protection-argument-against-winner-take-all-in-the-electoral-college-b09e8a49d777#.kyqhlyifa 

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12512644026

So, let me see if I have this straight.

People who don't live in NY or CA are supposed the call the AGs of NY and CA -- states whose EC votes are going to Clinton -- to try and argue before the USSC that NY and CA should be allowed to force every other state in the Union to switch their EC votes to Clinton.

I'm curious to know how NY and CA can demonstrate standing or harm.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Newest scheme to overturn election: Have SCOTUS strike down EC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
I'm curious to know how NY and CA can demonstrate standing or harm.

I'm not putting anything by NYS AG Eric Schneiderman.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:51:33 PM »
Ok, fine. You want EC votes to count the same for every voter? Apportion them by Congressional district, with the overall winner of the state receiving the 2 EC votes representing the Senators. They won't do that though, because they are not intellectually honest enough to state that without massively running up the score in the urban hell holes, a Democrat would NEVER win.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »

Response to Madam45for2923 (Original post)

Mon Dec 5, 2016, 09:56 AM

FBaggins (15,863 posts)

2. The theory here being that the Constitution is unconstitutional

That's... um... "novel"

The courts have ruled consistently that states have the ability to apportion their electoral votes under their own preferred system. The federal courts will not (can not) overturn a state's selection... nor could they ever do so ex post facto.

Despite that, they're all excited, posting the AG's phone numbers over and over.  In NY, you don't simply get on the horn to the AG and have a chat.  There are forms and forms to fill out and snail mail in, then it gets lost in the black hole. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »
This has toast, Trump is turning, the tide has legs!!!!!111eleventy!!!111!!!
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »
So this would mean all state firearm laws would have to move to the least restrictive and apply universally.  :fuelfire:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 01:02:18 PM »
This "idea" is so moronically vacuous that all its only content is its propounder's and approvers' desire to overturn a fair and valid election.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Even an imaginative liberal Supreme Court would have trouble overturning something specifically called for by the U.S. Constitution. Right now, since there are only 8 members a tie means everything remains status quo.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »
Brilliant (/sarc).  Get the Supremes to declare the Constitution unconstitutional.  Maybe you DUmmies should have a GoFundMe page to help out with this.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »
Even an imaginative liberal Supreme Court would have trouble overturning something specifically called for by the U.S. Constitution. Right now, since there are only 8 members a tie means everything remains status quo.

They would never even grant cert.  Changing this would be like trying to elminate one of the branches of government.  The EC is baked into the USC period and NONE of the Justices would want anything to do with it.

That is even assuming it gets past the lower court which probably would rule no harm was done and/or lack of standin, which is how they ruled on all challenges to obozos country of birth challenges.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
This has toast, Trump is turning, the tide has legs!!!!!111eleventy!!!111!!!

Time to dust this off and get it back on the news stands...

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
Brilliant (/sarc).  Get the Supremes to declare the Constitution unconstitutional.  Maybe you DUmmies should have a GoFundMe page to help out with this.

But Lawrence Lessig teaches at the Hahvahd School of Law!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:31 PM »
But Lawrence Lessig teaches at the Hahvahd School of Law!

The idiots who are misconstruing the Emoluments Clause have equally sterling credentials.  They're all still idiots.  The Emoluments Clause prohibits the acceptance of titles, offices, or presents of value from foreign sovereigns; it does not prohibit executing existing contracts based on normal commercial terms.  Compensation, including rent, which is bargained for and received in the normal course of commerce is not a 'Present' or anything else prohibited by the Emoluments Clause.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
The idiots who are misconstruing the Emoluments Clause have equally sterling credentials.  They're all still idiots.  The Emoluments Clause prohibits the acceptance of titles, offices, or presents of value from foreign sovereigns; it does not prohibit executing existing contracts based on normal commercial terms.  Compensation, including rent, which is bargained for and received in the normal course of commerce is not a 'Present' or anything else prohibited by the Emoluments Clause.

Obviously you're just a Putin loving misogynist. /du

Seriously though: What's in it for Lessig? Is he really just so psychologically weak and/or anti-Trump that he's willing to beclown himself in such a manner to avoid coming to terms with Trump's win?

I'm trying to wrap my head around what makes someone who ought to know better launch on such a misguided trajectory.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
Snugs, the EP clause is the spiky club of the Left, they have used it to destroy the safeguards of the 9th and 10th Amendments which were intended to establish a balance of powers between People, the States, and the Federal government in a similar way to the Legislative-Judicial-Executive triad at the national level.  As far as they are concerned it has no limits as a tool to gain their fanatic ends, and the Supreme Courts going back to the thoroughly-intimidated one in the FDR years have been unable to put any check on how far they will let it go, as they are trapped in the original logical box they constructed in using it (For good and ill) to rubberstamp overarching Federal power.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
a Democrat would NEVER win.

I'm just going to look at that, on the screen, for a while........

Ok, I'll be in my bunk.  :wink:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 09:54:42 PM »
Madam45for2923 (1,996 posts)

Why Bush v. Gore might mean that Clinton should be president: The EP argument against winner-take-al

Why Bush v. Gore might mean that Clinton should be president: The EP argument against winner-take-all: #1p1vote

https://twitter.com/lessig/status/805426166433742850

The Equal Protection argument against “winner take all” in the Electoral College 

It’s perfectly clear that the Attorney General of New York or California could walk into the Supreme Court tomorrow, and ask the Court to hear the case. Delaware tried to do this exactly fifty years ago, but the Court ducked the question. But based on that complaint, were I a citizen of California, I’d ask my current AG (and future Senator) why hasn’t CA done the same thing? And were I a citizen of New York, I’d ask my AG the same. Why are these big states standing by quietly as their voters are essentially silenced by the unconstitutional inequality?

https://medium.com/lessig/the-equal-protection-argument-against-winner-take-all-in-the-electoral-college-b09e8a49d777#.kyqhlyifa

Electoral College is part of the Constitution. It cannot be struck down.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31:15 PM »
ECmas puts Recountmas to shame.  Every day the DUmmies come up with yet more ways to circumvent the EC - and not a single one will ever come to fruition.