Author Topic: Column: Boeing executive steps down over a 33-year-old essay. 'Cancel culture' h  (Read 402 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Column: Boeing executive steps down over a 33-year-old essay. 'Cancel culture' has gone off the rails
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/column-boeing-executive-steps-down-over-a-33-year-old-essay-cancel-culture-has-gone-off-the-rails/ar-BB16DEaN?li=BBnbcA1

I used to argue with my very progressive mother about whether women belonged in combat.

Women create life, she told me. They should not be in the business of snuffing it out.

I think her rationale probably sprang from her pacifist tendencies, but hers was not an unusual point of view.

Indeed, American women were not officially allowed to serve in all combat roles until 2016.

When I read this week that Boeing’s new communications chief is out of a job for penning an essay almost 33 years ago opposing women in combat, which he had long since renounced, I have to admit, I was surprised. I probably should not have been.

Niel Golightly is out of Boeing for something he wrote in 1987 and has changed his opinion since then.

In 1987, Niel Golightly was a young Navy pilot when he wrote a long piece called "No Right to Fight” in Proceedings, the magazine of the U.S. Naval Institute. Although he was trying to make a serious argument, the piece reads like parody straight out of the He-Man Woman’s Haters Club.

"Women do not naturally band together for ritual comradeship," he wrote, in a passage characteristic of the entire ridiculous piece. "Their enormous personal courage usually reflects their loyalties to family and home rather than to each other and 'the group.' But while feminine loyalties are arguably more civilized, productive, and intellectually defensible than the male compulsion to be part of a group, it nevertheless remains that the bonding imperative is crucial to the collective mettle of men in combat."

The essay was recently brought forward, according to Boeing, by an employee who used it as the basis of an internal anonymous ethics complaint against Golightly.

Cancel culture ran amok!  :mental:

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
No one is entitled to an opinion anymore unless it meets the criteria the leftist snowflakes want it to meet.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen