Author Topic: Arab comedian sentenced to jail for offending Islam  (Read 495 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Arab comedian sentenced to jail for offending Islam
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
ohiosmith (16,459 posts)

Arab comedian sentenced to jail for offending Islam.

Last edited Wed Apr 25, 2012, 08:21 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
CAIRO -- An Egyptian court on Tuesday upheld a conviction against one of the Arab world's most famous comedians, sentencing him to jail for offending Islam in some of his most popular films.

The case against Adel Imam and others like it have raised concerns among some Egyptians that ultraconservative Muslims who made gains in recent elections after Hosni Mubarak's ouster last year are trying to foist their religious views on the entire country. Critics say the trend threatens to curb Egypt's vibrant film industry and freedom of speech.

Imam was sentenced to three months in jail and fined around $170 for insulting Islam in roles he played in movies such as "The Terrorist", in which he acted the role of a wanted terrorist who found refuge with a middle class, moderate family, and the film "Terrorism and Kabab. "

The actor was also found guilty for his 2007 role in "Morgan Ahmed Morgan," in which Imam played a corrupt businessman who tries to buy a university diploma. The film included a scene parodying bearded Muslim men wearing traditional Islamic clothing.

Not all that interesting until...

Speck Tater (8,680 posts)
5. I can't imagine a god so wimpy he needs hired thugs to defend him.

Why would they believe in a god who can't seem to take care of himself and needs to be constantly defended?

And all I could think was...

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Arab comedian sentenced to jail for offending Islam
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »
Speck Tater (8,680 posts)
5. I can't imagine a god so wimpy he needs hired thugs to defend him.

Why would they believe in a god who can't seem to take care of himself and needs to be constantly defended?

Usually they reserve that line for those evil Christians, normally they don't dare say anything offensive to Allah, because they have to be tolerant.
 :mental:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »
Cracker had it coming.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
Can we send them Janeane Garofalo and Bill Maher?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
The DUmmies should be happy about this. Their own betters higher up the communist totem pole arranged for the Muslim Brotherhood to take over Egypt (and eventually the rest of the middle east). This is also what they would like to do to conservatives if they could get away with. Rush Limbaugh would be the first one they jailed for thought crimes.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »
The DUmmies should be happy about this. Their own betters higher up the communist totem pole arranged for the Muslim Brotherhood to take over Egypt (and eventually the rest of the middle east). This is also what they would like to do to conservatives if they could get away with. Rush Limbaugh would be the first one they jailed for thought crimes.

Followed by Levin, Hannity, just about everyone at Hot Air, Townhall, CNS news, Michelle Malkin, and prolly everyone of us here.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »
Followed by Levin, Hannity, just about everyone at Hot Air, Townhall, CNS news, Michelle Malkin, and prolly everyone of us here.

On a side note, liberals are terrified of Levin. They know he has the ability and intelligence to destroy them in court, thus he can freely slander Media Matters and they dare not sue him for fear of discovery in court.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:28:33 AM »
The religion of peace is at war with criticism ? Which is it ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.