Author Topic: Sources - They Come in Many Varieties. Rockhead  (Read 1023 times)

Online CC27

Sources - They Come in Many Varieties. Rockhead
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
MineralMan (94,182 posts)

Sources - They Come in Many Varieties

Here are some of the kinds of sources journalistic people and those who want to be considered as journalists use when they want to write a story:

1. Actually Named Sources - These are the rarest and most trustworthy sources. They get quoted in the story and are willing to identify themselves publicly. This type of source rarely is willing to talk to minor newsbloggers, though. They talk to journalists everyone recognizes. They're worth listening to, in many cases, especially if they are closely connected to the subject they're talking about. In other cases, they may be only "Expert sources," as described below.

2. Sources Close to Something - These sources are very, very popular with everyone. what "close to" means, however, varies widely. Sometimes, it's a real person who is actually involved in a situation. Often, though, such sources are only "close to" something in terms of physical location, and don't really know anything.

3. Sources Associated with Something - Similar to "close to something" sources, these sources could be anyone who has any relationship with the subject. For example, a "Source associated with the CIA" could be a janitor in the building or even a UPS driver who regularly stops there. These sources are popular with newsbloggers. They might even actually exist, but don't really know anything important, even if they do.

3. Expert Sources - These sources are generally someone who used to be associated with or work for some organization. They have retired, been fired, or are otherwise no longer privy to current information. Often, they talk to others who are also no longer associated with something, and speak authoritatively, if incorrectly. These sources are sometimes named, but often insist on anonymity.

4. Unnamed Sources - These sources are the most popular of all. They have no names, and that's very useful. Sometimes, they "insist on remaining anonymous" or "decline to identify themselves." Sometimes they're real sources. Sometimes they're made up out of whole cloth by the person "quoting" them. How can you tell the difference? You can't. Many grains of salt are needed here.

5. Multiple Sources - These are also unnamed sources, but if you can mention more than one, you can pretend that your information is corroborated. It's not, but that doesn't matter. If you say you have "multiple sources," more naive people will be taken in by your misinformation.

6. Anonymous Sources - When a journalist or other writer actually uses this wording, it means that there is no source other than the voice in their own head. These are the weakest, most unreliable sources of all. Only inexperienced newsbloggers actually use this phrasing. They'll soon learn to use different types of sources, like the ones described above.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029105947

Are Pittstain and truthout sources too?  :whatever:

Offline SVPete

Re: Sources - They Come in Many Varieties. Rockhead
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
 :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:

If MM ever gave hid fellow DU-folk credit for having as much intelligence as he does, :-) , and came to whatever point he might have, they might even listen to him.

:blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:  :blah:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
No matter the particular "variety" of sources, if one says whatever the primitives wish to hear, then it's a legitimate source. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:31 PM »
No matter the particular "variety" of sources, if one says whatever the primitives wish to hear, then it's a legitimate source.

And the converse is also true. If DU-folk and like-minded Progs don't want to hear a truth, the source is Reich-Wing and therefore dismissed.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
It appears that one of Rock Head's sources is his own rectum. :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »
Sorry DUmbass there is only one flavor of "sources" in the democrat-FNM complex's attempted coup of PDT and that is ANONYMOUS. The only kind that talk inside the heads of "journalists" heads that tell such wonderful and unbelievable lies.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »
He forgot the most important, trusted source of all. The undisputed "ORACLE BONG" :stoner: :stoner: :stoner:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
He forgot the most important, trusted source of all. The undisputed "ORACLE BONG" :stoner: :stoner: :stoner:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Meh, I suspect the DUmmies rely on the Magic 8 Ball shaken multiple times until desired result is displayed.  :bs:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Delmar

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk2t2hIATCU[/youtube]
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
MineralMan (94,182 posts)

Sources - They Come in Many Varieties

<blah blah blah>

Back long ago when there were true journalists, editors and publishers, unnamed sources meant they were vetted by the news organization that for whatever reason were left unnamed.

Those days are long gone.  Personally I think the "unnamed sources" are really made up by the washpo, AP, NYT, etc because they have an agenda and that agenda is in danger from President Trump.  In short they are riding on the coat tails of a reputation, earned by honest journalism that quite frankly no longer applies.  Their agenda has been exposed, their reputation is in tatters, and they are striking out in anger at President Trump to show the masses that they are still relevant.

That and the fact that President Trump doesn't let them slide with their so called reporting.  This really pisses them off.  How dare a GOP president fight them on their own terms and beat them!!!!

Add in their missed call of the last election and the result is what you are seeing in the MSM.

Deep down you know I speak the truth dummie... the problem is you just cannot accept it. 

Sucks to be you! 
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
And then you have the rock head George ...

0. Because I said so.

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:14 AM »
7. The magic 8-ball that is most commonly consulted at the NYT and WaPo.