Author Topic: First Successful Gentoo Install after all these years  (Read 8931 times)

Offline CG6468

Re: First Successful Gentoo Install after all these years
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:23 AM »
Anywho CG i found this posting about YOUR MAC file system might be some help, evidently they have moved away from the original OSX file system with yours...cheers happy reading. hope this helps.

http://www.apple.com/osx/

edit cause link didnt set

Thanks for the link! I don't think it answers my questions, but I can always wait until my grandson gets down here again. It'd probably make more sense to someone who used a MAC before with the older OS.

I've begun to store some of the files in folders on the desktop. I just open the folder, click on the document, and it opens up for me. But that's not the way I should have to work it.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »
CG
Found another link that tells me you are more in the boat with Linux these days than what you are used to. I knew that OSX went to a UNIX style system file layout but I didn't know they pretty much used it all. Your files are saved in a Home folder...may be named whatever your grandson set it up to be...may be CG6468  :-) but everything will be saved in there if you are using the web it should be saved in downloads or documents. Anywho here is the link see if it helps...if no invite your grandson over for a grill and beers this weekend (make sure he brings the beer and the grill stuff) and have him help you out. If there was a apple store around here i would pop in and take a look but the only one i know of is other side of town...If I find my self nearby Ill pop in. You have me interested now and I want to know...lol

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1929167
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 07:02:10 AM »
Thank you very much, biersmythe. You're going way above and beyond what I expected for help with my new MAC, and I truly appreciate it!  :bow2: :bow2:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 07:10:50 AM »
My folder is my name. Now I'll have some experimenting to do.  :panic:

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
Glad I could help (hope I helped) When I saw the link I posted to you I knew that is something you should read. That is very similar look of the file system I use everyday on my Linux systems. If you have any other questions let me know I am glad to help if I can.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline CG6468

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
Glad I could help (hope I helped) When I saw the link I posted to you I knew that is something you should read. That is very similar look of the file system I use everyday on my Linux systems. If you have any other questions let me know I am glad to help if I can.

I appreciate it! It's on the back burner for now, because...

I'm busy up to my eyeballs, organizing the annual reunions for Rheem Manufacturing Co., Water heater Division, and the Coast Guard's Western Great Lakes 52nd year annual reunion. I'm on the reunion committees for each of them, and for our HS reunions, too (Class of 1960). The HS reunions are getting to be few and far between; the last one was for 50 years.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
Well you have fun at the reunion and let me know if there is something else I might be able to help with your computer. Have a great time with reunion!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »
Well you have fun at the reunion and let me know if there is something else I might be able to help with your computer. Have a great time with reunion!

I'll probably have an emotional breakdown after the CG reunion! I just found out that one of my best friends there, and his wife, both of whom I was going to introduce to my wife, will be unable to attend. Dammit!

Oh, well. Into each of our lives some shit must fall........