Author Topic: Obama Unaware of Status of Aunt, Campaign Says  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Obama Unaware of Status of Aunt, Campaign Says
« on: November 01, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »

she flew to the US just to see BHO sworn into the senate, and never left . . . .

ok, lets' all say it together, "that's not the aunt zeituni that I knew four years ago . . . " :-)

Obama Unaware of Status of Aunt, Campaign Says

WASHINGTON — Responding to a report that a Kenyan relative of Senator Barack Obama was living in the United States illegally, his campaign on Saturday said that he had no knowledge of her immigration status and that “any and all appropriate laws” should be followed.

The woman, Zeituni Onyango, referred to as “Auntie Zeituni” in a passage in Mr. Obama’s memoir, applied for political asylum in the United States in 2004, but a federal immigration judge rejected her request and instructed her to leave the country, said a government official with knowledge of the case who asked not to be identified because of its sensitive nature. Ms. Onyango’s legal status was first reported by The Associated Press on Friday.

Ms. Onyango is the half-sister of Mr. Obama’s father and is part of an extensive network of paternal relatives with whom Mr. Obama has had limited contact, his aides said. Mr. Obama, who was largely raised by his maternal grandparents in a modest apartment in Honolulu, first met Ms. Onyango when he traveled to Africa as an adult.

On Saturday, David Axelrod, the chief strategist for Mr. Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, characterized the senator and Ms. Onyango as having “not a real close relationship.” Mr. Axelrod said it had been “years, not months,” since the two had spoken.

Ms. Onyango attended the ceremony when Mr. Obama was sworn in to the United States Senate in 2004, but campaign officials said he had provided no assistance in getting her a tourist visa and did not know the details of her stay. At the time of the ceremony, Ms. Onyango and another relative said in interviews that they had flown to the United States from Kenya to witness the moment. Mr. Obama last heard from her about two years ago when she called to say she was in Boston, but he did not see her there, the campaign said.

More

Offline whiffleball

Re: Obama Unaware of Status of Aunt, Campaign Says
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »
His ignorance of so much is nothing if not predictable.

Offline djones520

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
Granted, I don't keep in that much touch with my Aunts and Uncles, but I am pretty aware of whether or not they legally reside in a country...
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »

wow.  the always calm and cool obama campaign is sort of struggling with this one. 

one more relative under the bus, by the way.

News of Onyango's legal status, which the AP confirmed through sources, including a federal law enforcement official, provided an unwelcome diversion for the Obama campaign during its final push toward Election Day and stoked suspicions among supporters of a political motive behind the timing of the leak.

“The American people are pretty sensible,” said Obama chief strategist David Axelrod, “and I think they are pretty suspicious of things that are dumped in the marketplace 72 hours before a campaign, so I am not concerned about that.”

Asked whether he was suggesting there were political motives from a Republican administration, Axelrod said: “I am not saying anything at this point.”
House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers has written to Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff requesting an immediate investigation of the leak, which he deemed "deplorable" and said "was not the first leak of law enforcement information apparently designed to influence the coming presidential election," referring to an ongoing investigation of voter fraud by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN.

The campaign will return $265 in contributions that Onyango made to Obama, citing prohibitions against foreign nationals donating to American campaigns.

The Associated Press reported that Onyango had been instructed to leave the country four years ago by an immigration judge who rejected her request for asylum from her native Kenya. Onyango is living in public housing in Boston.

More

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 06:41:06 PM »
Living in public housing, and still makes enough money to contribute to his campaign?

I'm smelling something foul here....
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »
Living in public housing, and still makes enough money to contribute to his campaign?

I wonder how many times she is registered in ohio? :-)

Offline Flame

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »

How about "here illegally, yet we are still paying to house her"! :banghead: :banghead:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:45:44 PM »
the MSM is making a big deal out of the timing.  it's obviously a mccain campaign dirty trick. :whatever:

Offline WV conservative

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
There are alot of things o is unaware of. How can anyone vote for him is beyond comprehension.

WV C

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
There are alot of things o is unaware of. How can anyone vote for him is beyond comprehension.

WV C

how many conservatives are there in WV?  I lived there in 1991 & 1992.  I thought I was the only one. :-)

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 08:41:44 PM »
the MSM is making a big deal out of the timing.  it's obviously a mccain campaign dirty trick. :whatever:

I've read about this "dirty trick" thing.  It would be a "dirty trick" only if it was made up out of thin air.  Since it is the truth, it fails the "dirty trick" test.

:-) 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:59 PM »
I've read about this "dirty trick" thing.  It would be a "dirty trick" only if it was made up out of thin air.  Since it is the truth, it fails the "dirty trick" test.

:-) 

october surprise. :-)  just win, baby.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 06:41:18 AM »
Hmmmm...simple math time, kids...

Her asylum request was denied and she was ordered deported four years ago.  That would be 2004.  She was present at his Senate inauguration in 2005.

And he claims he didn't know ANYTHING about her status?  Really? 
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
How does someone get public housing if you not an American Citizen?   :censored:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 10:37:16 AM »
Hmmmm...simple math time, kids...

Her asylum request was denied and she was ordered deported four years ago.  That would be 2004.  She was present at his Senate inauguration in 2005.

And he claims he didn't know ANYTHING about her status?  Really? 

A few phone record searches would confirm or deny this theory. As for "Dirty Trick", the news was broken by a news agency out of the UK. Last I checked, they weren't exactly rooting for a McCain victory in most of Eurpoe. -- In related news, Backpedaling on this story has begun - The Boston Housing Authority denies any knowledge of the deportation order.

Boston Herald Article here

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »
how many conservatives are there in WV?  I lived there in 1991 & 1992.  I thought I was the only one. :-)

There seems to be at least two of us.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »
THUMP, THUMP , THUMP, another ones' under the bus, THUMP THUMP THUMP, and another ones' gone another ones' gone, another ones' under the bus!  etc.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »

that's one more than I would have suspected.  :wink:

Offline Flame

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »

I'm here, too, and there are actually a number of McCain Palin signs around here!