Author Topic: Christians have to step up  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Christians have to step up
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
I'll weigh in.

As Christians, our directives come from God, not man.  Our duty to help our fellowman is the same regardless of what kind of gov't we have, what that gov't does, or even if we have a gov't at all.

I, for one, take great comfort in knowing that anyone who is in power anywhere in the world is only there because God is permitting them to be in power.  That doesn't mean that He approves of how they conduct themselves, but it means they are where they are because it serves God's purpose, a purpose that we can't always fully understand, but we know in the end is righteous.  In view of eternity, it matters not who is the president, God is in control.  As Christians, we are citizens of the kingdom of God first, citizens of the USA second.

Does God want people to be held back from reaching their potential though?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 07:01:28 PM »
Does God want people to be held back from reaching their potential though?

No, but remember the Apostle Paul said in Phil 4:11-13

"11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Because circumstances might arise where we cannot fully reach our potential doesn't give us an excuse not to do all we can.

I understand your frustrations when it seems half the population would rather freeload than work, but there are people who are genuinely in need, and helping them is right.  Using good judgment is also helpful.  For instance, when people ask me for money for food, rather than give it to them, I tell them I'll buy them a meal.  Some take it, others don't because they were lying and just wanted the money for alcohol.  But I was willing to help their need, it's not my problem they lied.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 07:30:26 PM »
Because circumstances might arise where we cannot fully reach our potential doesn't give us an excuse not to do all we can.

I understand your frustrations when it seems half the population would rather freeload than work, but there are people who are genuinely in need, and helping them is right.  Using good judgment is also helpful.  For instance, when people ask me for money for food, rather than give it to them, I tell them I'll buy them a meal.  Some take it, others don't because they were lying and just wanted the money for alcohol.  But I was willing to help their need, it's not my problem they lied.

And that's the problem that I have, I want to help those that are genuinely in need and not help those who choose to mooch off of society. My family makes a lot of sacrifices, I don't have an iphone etc. I have a pre-paid cellphone, why should I help people who have the newest gadgets yet depend on society for their basic needs? why are we making sacrifices yet they don't?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »
And that's the problem that I have, I want to help those that are genuinely in need and not help those who choose to mooch off of society. My family makes a lot of sacrifices, I don't have an iphone etc. I have a pre-paid cellphone, why should I help people who have the newest gadgets yet depend on society for their basic needs? why are we making sacrifices yet they don't?

My advice is, just help on the individual level. If you have a neighbor struggling to pay the bills give them a gift card to a local grocery store or something like that. Your neighbor needs gas money to get to work hand him a five. A coworker needs lunch money buy them lunch. Do stuff like that where you are helping people that you choose and that you think need it. In the end that's what matters anyway is when you see someone in need and if you can be of any help you do so.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »

Render unto Caeser what is Caesar's.  Remember, God is the one who instituted gov'ts and that we are to behave ourselves as Christ would have us.

Use your wits to identify and help those who are truly in need.  The other people out there who are as you describe will have to answer to God for their actions.  They may get away with it in this life, but that's all they'll do.

Pray for them.  They need it even if they don't recognize it.

You know what's right, just do it.

Perhaps Charles can say it differently, but the premise is the same.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:46:53 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 07:46:53 PM »

You can give to charities that focus on the needs of children, because while the parents may be making stupid financial decisions, the children are usually blameless.  Or, focus on charities that help hospitals, or cancer patients.  I also frequently look at international charities, especially religious ones, as I personally feel that there is more real need in the third world than in the US. 

Offline Charles Henrickson

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »
Charles, can you talk a little bit about Charity and Christianity in this thread here please. What do you do when people vote to have the Government take care of them, should the Churches back off then on pushing Charity? Is the intent of Charity to help all those in need all the time to the point of dependency? I'm feeling a little un-Christian since the election

Christians should be charitable. The church should be doing works of mercy. That's great. That's wonderful. Such loving care is highly commended and practiced and described throughout Scripture and has been done all through church history.  You see in the New Testament, for example, the church caring for the needy by sharing their wealth (such as it was). But the key point here is that such giving was VOLUNTARY, not forced. It was the willing practice of Christians, in and through the church, not a forced redistribution of wealth, extracted at the point of a sword by the government.

Also, the Bible certainly does not commend the enabling of sluggards and slackers. However, that should not be used as an excuse for a lack of charity on our part. At the same time, it means being wise as to how we administer and distribute our charity.

That's my quick take on the matter.
Co-host (with PJ-Comix) of the DUmmie FUnnies, both on Free Republic and at the DUmmie FUnnies' own blogspot.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
If Heaven is a Stalinist terror-state, I don't want to go.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 07:19:19 AM »
Also, the Bible certainly does not commend the enabling of sluggards and slackers. However, that should not be used as an excuse for a lack of charity on our part. At the same time, it means being wise as to how we administer and distribute our charity.

The local Christian charity I volunteer with has a budget.  We can only afford to help someone with up to $300 in monies for bills per year.  We give food and clothing in quantities limited only by stock.  This time of year we end up turning some away for monetary assistance as it's so close to the years end, but food and clothing are another matter.  This organization has been doing good works for over 30 years and it has done so very wisely.  I'm proud to be a part of it.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »
[youtube=425,350]rEM4NKXK-iA[/youtube]
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jukin

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
I'm for giving a hand but not a handout. I'm also very tired of being a bad human being because I don't give enough of my money and time to people that do not deserve it. If my taxes go up 11% ((39-35)/35=.114) then my charitable donations are going down too. They are going down in whole to lower level efficiency ($ GIVEN TO $ USED ON PURPOSE OF GIVING) which necessarily means the most liberal.

I GOT THIS A LONG TIME AGO AND HAVE NOT FACT CHECKED:

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS:
As you open your pockets to do a good thing and make yourself feel good, please keep the following facts in mind:
----------------------------
The American Red Cross
President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

MARCH OF DIMES
It is called the March of Dimes because only a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy.

The United Way
President Brian Gallagher receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF
CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE.
Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

GOODWILL
CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.
Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business. You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.  He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy.
$0.00 goes to help anyone!

This has spurred me to research how much the leftist charities' pass through percentage is.  5% from a UN based org is a bit higher than I thought. IIRC red cross is in the low 50s but will get back to all.
----------------------------
Instead, give it to ANY OF THE FOLLOWING GO "GREEN" AND PUT YOUR MONEYWHERE IT WILL DO SOME GOOD:

The Salvation Army
Commissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
The Veterans of Foreign Wars

The Veterans of Foreign Wars

The Disabled American Veterans
The Military Order of Purple Hearts

The Vietnam Veterans Association

Make a Wish: For children's last wishes.
100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child.

St. Jude Research Hospital
100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and cannot afford to pay.

Ronald McDonald Houses
All monies go to running the houses for parents who have critical Children in the hospital.
100% goes to housing, and feeding the families.

Lions Club International
100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE BLIND, BUY HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS AROUND THE WORLD. THEIR LATEST UNDERTAKING IS MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT).

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »
For any DUmmy that thinks salvation depends on paying taxes... I feel sorry for you. The next life will be quite a shock.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »
Thanks Jukin for that list.

And awesome video Rebel!

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »
Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jukin

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

But if you can teach a man to steal fish from a man that caught fish, you also feed him for a lifetime. Besides that man with the fish is a greedy son of a bitch for wanting to feed his family with the fish that he caught and THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!111!!!!elebinty. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

I prefer the corollary to this: build a DUmbass a fire, and keep him warm for a few hours.  Set a DUmbass on fire, and keep him warm for the rest of his life.  :-)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
Leftists hate God because He "allows" poverty.

But then they demand the prosperous be taxed into poverty and the slovenly remain where they are.

Thy will be done.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Zeus

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QaBDxkAprjo[/youtube]

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.