Author Topic: YESH! We Have Calls for Opeachment!  (Read 1878 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
YESH! We Have Calls for Opeachment!
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »
paparush  (1000+ posts)      Sat Apr-11-09 01:52 PM
Original message
Obama and Habeas Corpus - Then and Now
 Back in February, the Obama administration shocked many civil libertarians by filing a brief in federal court that, in two sentences, declared that it embraced the most extremist Bush theory on this issue -- the Obama DOJ argued, as The New York Times's Charlie Savage put it, "that military detainees in Afghanistan have no legal right to challenge their imprisonment there, embracing a key argument of former President Bush’s legal team." Remember: these are not prisoners captured in Afghanistan on a battlefield. Many of them have nothing to do with Afghanistan and were captured far, far away from that country -- abducted from their homes and workplaces -- and then flown to Bagram to be imprisoned. Indeed, the Bagram detainees in the particular case in which the Obama DOJ filed its brief were Yemenis and Tunisians captured outside of Afghanistan (in Thailand or the UAE, for instance) and then flown to Bagram and locked away there as much as six years without any charges. That is what the Obama DOJ defended, and they argued that those individuals can be imprisoned indefinitely with no rights of any kind -- as long as they are kept in Bagram rather than Guantanamo.

<snip>
So that Barack Obama -- the one trying to convince Democrats to make him their nominee and then their President -- said that abducting people and imprisoning them without charges was (a) un-American; (b) tyrannical; (c) unnecessary to fight Terrorism; (d) a potent means for stoking anti-Americanism and fueling Terrorism; (e) a means of endangering captured American troops, Americans traveling abroad and Americans generally; and (f) a violent betrayal of core, centuries-old Western principles of justice. But today's Barack Obama, safely ensconced in the White House, fights tooth and nail to preserve his power to do exactly that.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/04/11/bagra... 

Davis_X_Machina  (1000+ posts)      Sat Apr-11-09 01:55 PM
Response to Original message
1. Impeachment...
 ...starts in the House Judiciary Committee. Their addresses are here.

Start writing. If you're serious, it's what needs to get done.

Why Syzygy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-11-09 03:39 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. That won't happen ..
 but the Dems better galldurn well have a STRONG candidate in 2012. 

cali  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-11-09 03:42 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. really? you think that's what needs to be done?

Davis_X_Machina  (1000+ posts)      Sat Apr-11-09 11:31 PM
Response to Reply #3
5. IF...
 ...you really believe that Obama's not faithfully executing the law, then yes.

Oh, he's executing it alright. He didn't even offer it a last cigarette and blind fold.

stillcool  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-12-09 12:39 AM
Response to Reply #5
6. I am certain that eventually...
 the prisoners in Afghanistan as well as the detainee's will be able to sue the U.S.Government, in a U.S. Court. I think they should allow these suits, and open the flood-gates for the rest that are coming..the sooner the better. I can understand why the government would defend itself, especially if they have not completely gone over the 'facts'. That said..I think you're right. Impeachment is definitely in order. The sooner the better for that too.

US law predominates the world over? Who knew?

uponit7771  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-12-09 12:48 AM
7. You sure this isn't ANOTHER knee jerk article? We've seen plenty....

Glenn Greewald, not give L'il 'O the benefit of the doubt?

leftofthedial  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-12-09 02:33 AM
8. I think Mr. Obama has undergone some sort of fundamental change in philosophy. 
 Perhaps the military industrial MIB have had a talk with him.

For a fan of Rick Warren, Obama's getting pretty good at switching sides. 
All your POTUS are belong to us.

ima_sinnic (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-12-09 03:29 AM
9. K&R -- tired of this issue falling on deaf ears
 no matter how hard I try, I just cannot get all happy-face about someone continuing with the human rights abuses and unconstitutional, illegal activities of his predecessor, with the smug attitude, apparently, that he can do whatever he wants because he has such huge "popular support." These are a taint on what promised to be an enlightened presidency, a poison that will eventually erode that support to disdain and resistance, if he doesn't goddam do something about them. He himself said on the first day that the world was watching--well, it hasn't looked away yet.

LittleBlue (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-12-09 04:32 AM
10. He won't talk to us honestly about why. He just asserts more of the Bush imperial power crap
 and I'm tired of it.

Again, he will have a hard time pulling his base together in 2012 if he keeps this shit up. 

Political Heretic  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-12-09 04:49 AM
Response to Reply #10
12. He is making the problem worse by offerning no explanation on the MANY seeming reversals
 Note the use of the word "seeming." Not all of us necessarily understand entirely what is going on. It's too bad that once again it feels like we are dealing with an opaque administration rather than a transparent one. 

He's smarter than you and that is all YOU need to know.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8335315

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: YESH! We Have Calls for Opeachment!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:29:32 AM »
Damn only three months and they want Dumbo impeached :lmao:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
How many tombstones are being carved?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »
Political Heretic  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-12-09 04:49 AM
Response to Reply #10
12. He is making the problem worse by offerning no explanation on the MANY seeming reversals
 Note the use of the word "seeming." Not all of us necessarily understand entirely what is going on. It's too bad that once again it feels like we are dealing with an opaque administration rather than a transparent one.

How come it was on January 19th and before each and everyone of you Little Goons had it all figured out and two-term Republican President George W. Bush was both evil and stupid?  Or is this an admission that President Bush is 1000x smarter than you Little Goons and that throughout his administration you Little Goons were being dishonestly unfair to him purely for political gain?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
The DUmmies can't help it. 8 years of wishing for Bu$hitler to be Chimpeached...
 :-)

Good stuff!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:48:52 AM »
The DUmmies can't help it. 8 years of wishing for Bu$hitler to be Chimpeached...
 :-)

Good stuff!

That kind of momentum takes time to spin off.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »

How come it was on January 19th and before each and everyone of you Little Goons had it all figured out and two-term Republican President George W. Bush was both evil and stupid?  Or is this an admission that President Bush is 1000x smarter than you Little Goons and that throughout his administration you Little Goons were being dishonestly unfair to him purely for political gain?
I'd say they simply painted themselves into a corner with their rhetoric but I think they were huffing the paint fumes rather than actually painting.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
I'd say they simply painted themselves into a corner with their rhetoric but I think they were huffing the paint fumes rather than actually painting.

Lies have to stay wet and flexible forever.  The truth dries on contact.

The Little Goons spend so much time being dishonest they have no idea how they betray themselves when their guard is down.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Looks like while Zero was busy looking out for "the one" that he stepped in #2....  :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »

I predicted 6 months they exceeded even my expectations.  :lmao:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »

Took longer then I thought it would
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »
I predicted 6 months they exceeded even my expectations.  :lmao:

I recall predicting "by mid-summer," and so was off too.

I'm still sticking with my prediction that by the end of the year, there's going to be some sort of flip-flop going on here, decent and civilized people actually feeling sorry for Pa Kettle.

Not because decent and civilized people like Pa Kettle's policies and programs, or have any affection for Pa Kettle, but simply because Pa Kettle's going to be savaged so much by the primitives that it's overkill, just too much.

Sort of like the Lyndon Johnson thing in 1968, when even strong supporters of Barry Goldwater four years previously began feeling sorry for Johnson, the way he was being cut up, barbequed, torn apart, savaged, by those very people (the poor, the minorities, the young) for whom he had done so much.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
I recall predicting "by mid-summer," and so was off too.

I'm still sticking with my prediction that by the end of the year, there's going to be some sort of flip-flop going on here, decent and civilized people actually feeling sorry for Pa Kettle.

Not because decent and civilized people like Pa Kettle's policies and programs, or have any affection for Pa Kettle, but simply because Pa Kettle's going to be savaged so much by the primitives that it's overkill, just too much.

Sort of like the Lyndon Johnson thing in 1968, when even strong supporters of Barry Goldwater four years previously began feeling sorry for Johnson, the way he was being cut up, barbequed, torn apart, savaged, by those very people (the poor, the minorities, the young) for whom he had done so much.

we were only off by a couple of business days  :lmao:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »
So Zero MUST have been co-opted by the military-industrial complex.

It never enters into their empty drug addled heads that maybe after seeing all of the facts, even a radical fellow traveller like the Precedent sees the need to confine these vermin they are so fond of. 

Nope.  Gotta be some conspiracy...Chimpeach!!
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »
Lies have to stay wet and flexible forever.  The truth dries on contact.

The Little Goons spend so much time being dishonest they have no idea how they betray themselves when their guard is down.
:bow:
I want that on a bumper sticker! H5!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle