Author Topic: Journey to Chavez' Hellish Jails  (Read 1178 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Journey to Chavez' Hellish Jails
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »
WilmywoodNCparalegal  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-13-09 08:35 AM
Original message
Journey to Chavez' Hellish Jails
 Advertisements [?]This is from a photo reportage from the Italian daily La Repubblica (www.repubblica.it ), which is considered a leftist publication in Italy.

The actual photographs can be found at http://www.repubblica.it/2006/05/gallerie/esteri/carcer... .

The first picture has a caption that reads in Italian (subsequently in English, my translation):

Chiusa tra le pareti sicure delle carceri venezuelane esiste una realtà che non conosce controllo: i detenuti sono quasi tutti armati di pistole e coltelli e ogni anno sono oltre quattrocento le persone che rimangono uccise. Da questo reportage, realizzato da Valerio Bispuri lo scorso febbraio, nel carcere maschile di Carabobo, una località a 300 chilometri da Caracas, emerge la condizione fatiscente e drammatica del sistema penitenziario venezuelano. Di fronte all'emergenza carceri, il governo sta progettando l'apertura di due nuovi isituti penitenziari, moderni e di massima sicurezza, ispirati al modello spagnolo.

Closed between the secure walls of the Venezuelan jails, there exists a reality that does not know order; the detainees are almost all armed with guns and knives and each year more than four hundred people are killed. From this reportage, produced by Valerio Bispuri this past February, in the prison for men of Carabobo, approximately 300 Km from Caracas, the dramatic and sad conditions of the Venezuelan corrections system emerge. Confronted by the prison emergency, the government is planning the opening of two new correctional institutes, modern and with maximum security, inspired by the Spanish model.

Just thought it was very interesting and sad. The pictorial is quite stunning.

ShortnFiery  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-13-09 08:37 AM
Response to Original message
1. With the highest per capita incarceration rate, we, the USA, have not the moral authority ...
 to judge Venezuela. Especially since CHINA is our "most favored trading partner" and SAUDI ARABIA has "our oil."

Hypocritical anyone? 
But what if those who are incarcerated in the US are criminals?

And are those criminals treated more humanely that Chavez's?

They seem to take a single, isolate fact and refuse any context to it.

BTW - Will Obama be doing something about your complaint?

cali  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-13-09 08:38 AM
2. break out the 
 !

It's a Venezuela/Chavez thread. More bang for your buck than any other topic on DU. Awaiting with bated breath the comments about how American prisons are worse and how Chavez is a totalitarian dictator.

EDIT: the "linky-dinky": http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5245622

Thank-you Mr Jones...BTW you might want to have that wrist looked at. It seems a bit limp.

:-) :cheersmate:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:04:05 AM by Mr Snuggle Bunny »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline djones520

Re: Journey to Chavez' Hellish Jails
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:49:06 AM »
Mr Bunny, I do believe you forgot the linky-dink.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »
Funny how the primitives only use the "we don't have the moral authority to judge" when it suits their purposes.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »
I would love to see how they would react should someone suggest giving all our inmates guns and knives.  That would be a hoot.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »
cali  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-13-09 08:38 AM
2. break out the 
 !

It's a Venezuela/Chavez thread. More bang for your buck than any other topic on DU. Awaiting with bated breath the comments about how American prisons are worse and how Chavez is a totalitarian dictator.

Well, yes he is. Next?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »
Funny how the primitives only use the "we don't have the moral authority to judge" when it suits their purposes.

I often wonder from where the Little Goons derive the moral authority to judge that "we" don't have the moral authority to judge.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
I often wonder from where the Little Goons derive the moral authority to judge that "we" don't have the moral authority to judge.

Well, from being professional victims of course. Even the straight, white, metrosexual boys are victims of their own great white guilt. See, I have the moral authority to judge all things related to women's victimhood because thanks to a shifting of particular chromosomes, I have a vagina. The only way a man can be a qualified authority is if you prefer hairy assholes to ta-tas, or are any color other than white (well maybe not Asian or from India either because they generally work too hard to be victims). I guess, Undies, you'll never get your victim card unless you somehow acquire your own vagina. Maybe you can borrow UGP's, she doesn't appear to be using hers anymore. I'd have the damn thing fumigated and deloused first, though.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:08:46 AM »
I would love to see how they would react should someone suggest giving all our inmates guns and knives.  That would be a hoot.

KC

Try it out at Gitmo first.  Start with just the knives.

Move all personnel to the outside of the fence, and tell them to shoot ANYTHING that makes it out....

Last man standing gets to rejoin the jihad....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
Well, from being professional victims of course. Even the straight, white, metrosexual boys are victims of their own great white guilt. See, I have the moral authority to judge all things related to women's victimhood because thanks to a shifting of particular chromosomes, I have a vagina. The only way a man can be a qualified authority is if you prefer hairy assholes to ta-tas, or are any color other than white (well maybe not Asian or from India either because they generally work too hard to be victims). I guess, Undies, you'll never get your victim card unless you somehow acquire your own vagina. Maybe you can borrow UGP's, she doesn't appear to be using hers anymore. I'd have the damn thing fumigated and deloused first, though.

Cindie

I hear you can rent them.

:evillaugh:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.