Author Topic: Can a deep conversation make people happier.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
Can a deep conversation make people happier.
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
Talk Deeply, Be Happy?
By RONI CARYN RABIN

Would you be happier if you spent more time discussing the state of the world and the meaning of life — and less time talking about the weather?

It may sound counterintuitive, but people who spend more of their day having deep discussions and less time engaging in small talk seem to be happier, said Matthias Mehl, a psychologist at the University of Arizona who published a study on the subject.

<SNIP>

Dr. Mehl’s study was small and doesn’t prove a cause-and-effect relationship between the kind of conversations one has and one’s happiness. But that’s the planned next step, when he will ask people to increase the number of substantive conversations they have each day and cut back on small talk, and vice versa.

The study, published in the journal Psychological Science, involved 79 college students — 32 men and 47 women — who agreed to wear an electronically activated recorder with a microphone on their lapel that recorded 30-second snippets of conversation every 12.5 minutes for four days, creating what Dr. Mehl called “an acoustic diary of their day.”

Researchers then went through the tapes and classified the conversation snippets as either small talk about the weather or having watched a TV show, and more substantive talk about current affairs, philosophy, the difference between Baptists and Catholics or the role of education. A conversation about a TV show wasn’t always considered small talk; it could be categorized as substantive if the speakers analyzed the characters and their motivations, for example.

<SNIP>

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/talk-deeply-be-happy/?src=me

I find this article intriguing. Maybe this is why there are so many clicks, where only certain people fit. I think some times people don't give other people a chance.

Sometimes it seems intelligent people can get impatience with people that aren't as quick thinking.But that doesn't always mean they don't have anything interesting to say.They could be shy.Sometimes the slower thinking person may strike a spark in an intelligent person mind that he may not have thought about.I've been on both sides.

I do think people are happier when they use their brain in deeper conversations.Do you agree with the study?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:01:01 PM by Chris »
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Can a deep conversation make people happier.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »
I would say I agree.  I enjoy a good conversation, and a healthy debate, on any subject, especially when I learn something from it.  Much more so than just shooting the "bull." 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
Sometimes it seems intelligent people can get impatience with people that aren't as quick thinking

I'm guilty of this. My wife says she can see my eyes "glaze over" if I find the conversation too dull. Plus it shows in my face.  :thatsright:
On the other side of the coin she also says I'm too "anecdotal".
Unfortunately my typing does not keep up with what I'd like to say. I'm terrible at it, hitting maybe 25 WPM.
That's the main reason you'll notice most of my responses are short and to the point

Yes I love a good, deep, interesting conversation.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »
I'm guilty of this. My wife says she can see my eyes "glaze over" if I find the conversation too dull. Plus it shows in my face.  :thatsright:
On the other side of the coin she also says I'm too "anecdotal".
Unfortunately my typing does not keep up with what I'd like to say. I'm terrible at it, hitting maybe 25 WPM.
That's the main reason you'll notice most of my responses are short and to the point

Yes I love a good, deep, interesting conversation.

I think that is a common trait among most men.  :-)

I would much rather have a good, interesting conversation than gossip. Which is why Runnin' Buddy and I get along so well. We aren't gossipers like most of the women we know.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:43:09 PM »
My wife says it's a "kill me now" look.    :lmao:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »
My wife says it's a "kill me now" look.    :lmao:

Yep...

Usually accompanied by a look from me that says....."please try to at least look  interested! :whatever:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.