Author Topic: The Borgias: but not a serious review  (Read 430 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
The Borgias: but not a serious review
« on: February 01, 2021, 11:13:55 PM »
So.....I just got done watching all 25 hours of the three-years' television series 2011-2013 The Borgias.  I wish it'd gone on for another 25 or 50 or even 75 hours, it was so good.  But alas it ended after only 29 episodes, because the producers couldn't afford it any more.

This reminded me of The Last Post, about the British experience in Aden in 1964-1965.  It was really good, but the producers quit after only one season, perhaps because its topic was politically incorrect.

In the meantime, we had Downton Abbey, which was way too long, Poldark, which really didn't need its last two years, and The Forsythe Saga, which really didn't need any episodes dealing with the 1920s. 

I noticed that Gina McKee, who played an insufferable bitch in The Forsythe Saga, also played an insufferable bitch in The Borgias.

Jeremy Irons, as Rodrigo Borgia, the father, was awesome as Pope Alexander VI.  In fact, his performance was so magnificent that in a perverse way it made me proud to have been born and raised a Roman Catholic, possessing such a rich heritage.

The scene where father and son, Rodrigo and Cesare, in the next-to-the-last episode, reconciled almost moved me to tears.

I suspect Lucrezia Borgia in real life was much more alluring and seductive in real life than the actress who portrayed her in the movie.  I can't be choosy, but I felt no desire to flop around in the sack with the fake Lucrezia. 
apres moi, le deluge