Author Topic: Iraq banned from Summer Olympics  (Read 824 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Iraq banned from Summer Olympics
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
This sucks.

Iraq banned from Summer Olympics

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The International Olympic Committee has banned Iraq from competing in the upcoming Summer Olympics because of what it says is political interference by the government in sports...

...The move stems from an Iraqi government decision in May to suspend Iraq's Olympic Committee and form a temporary committee to handle its duties.

The Iraqi government thought the committee had not been operating properly and as a result undermined the sporting movement in Iraq.

The government said the original committee held meetings without quorums and had officials serving in one-year posts for more than five years. Many of the officials also lived outside Iraq, the government said.

BBC LINK

CNN LINK

SKY NEWS LINK

Dispite the slanted reporting from the CNN article (where this clip is from) first glance seems that the IOC are the asshats in the black hats this time around, not the Iraqi gub'mint.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:24:40 AM by DefiantSix »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

Re: Iraq banned from Summer Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »
Its just like the IOC to let their politics play a role in this. Its a good thing I wasn't planing on watching the Commies sports anyway..
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"