Author Topic: Royal Crown Cola and salted peanuts  (Read 5244 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Royal Crown Cola and salted peanuts
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
I guess because I saw older folks doing it.

You drink the drink down to point that it would hold all of the peanuts, then add the nuts and it did change the flavor of the drink but I thought it was even better. Peanuts went real well with the COKEs in the small green bottles.

That's what I wanted to know, and nothing wrong with that.

I was curious as to the "why" of it. 

As you know, I dump sour cream on many unorthodox things--such as pizza, dry breakfast cereal, spaghetti and meatballs, porridge, corn and peas, scrambled eggs, &c., &c., &c.--the conscious reason for that being that I like the taste.

(The subconscious reason is probably something else--if one instinctively "listens" to one's body, one instinctively grabs those nutrients the body needs.  In this case, I suspect there's some minuscule "trace" element that this body needs, and isn't getting elsewhere.)

This thing about dumping salted peanuts into any soda, not just bottled Royal Crown Cola, however, stymies me.  I now recall why I had remembered it.

During the hot Sandhills summers, after getting all sweaty and dirty from cleaning up the local drive-in movie theatre, five friends and I used to drive out to one of the Loup Rivers (South Loup, Middle Loup, North Loup) to swim, and on our way, we'd stop at this "general store" out in the boondocks.

One of our number always insisted upon getting Royal Crown Cola and a package of salted peanuts, and consuming them together.  It had to be Royal Crown Cola; no other soda would do.

There were six of us, usually, one of them a German foreign-exchange high-school student, and four of us Nebraska-born-and-bred.  The one who dined on Royal Crown Cola and salted peanuts was an Army brat born down south, but as his parents were native Nebraskans, they came back after leaving the military.

That was the one who always insisted it had to be Royal Crown Cola.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »
I never heard of the peanuts in the bottle thing.

Growing up in Tucson back in the 40's until 1952, I remember Coke, RC, and the big one was Dr. Pepper. I hardly ever wore shoes, and my feet got so calloused that I could walk through the desert and feel no pain. I recall crossing the asphalt driveways (barefoot) at the local gas station to buy a bottle of Dr. Pepper, from a machine that covered the bottle with what seemed like shaved ice.

Those Dr. Peppers were sure good on those hot summer days in Tucson!
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »
I never heard of the peanuts in the bottle thing.

Growing up in Tucson back in the 40's until 1952, I remember Coke, RC, and the big one was Dr. Pepper. I hardly ever wore shoes, and my feet got so calloused that I could walk through the desert and feel no pain. I recall crossing the asphalt driveways (barefoot) at the local gas station to buy a bottle of Dr. Pepper, from a machine that covered the bottle with what seemed like shaved ice.

Those Dr. Peppers were sure good on those hot summer days in Tucson!

I was the same way about going barefoot as a kid. It ended up causing me a problem. I was probably around 10 or 11 and had been fishing in a guy's pond without permission. We had to walk through the swamp to get to the pond. After fishing a bit we thought someone was coming so we took off running through our swamp path to get away. During the run I somehow kicked a low cypress knee with one of my bare feet. I guess because the sole of my foot was essentially one huge callous it peeled the entire bottom of my heel loose. I had to hobble the rest of the way to my grandmother's house.

My uncle, who was the only person at my grandmother's at the time, took one look at my heel and rubbed some sort of purple liquid on it. When I asked what it was he told me that it was the medicine that they used to doctor the hunting dogs. I protested, but he said a scrape was a scrape whether it was on a dog or a human.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
My uncle, who was the only person at my grandmother's at the time, took one look at my heel and rubbed some sort of purple liquid on it. When I asked what it was he told me that it was the medicine that they used to doctor the hunting dogs. I protested, but he said a scrape was a scrape whether it was on a dog or a human.

Your uncle was right, although I wouldn't do the reverse, using human medication on an animal.

Working with what one has--I've seen it, and tried to practice it, all my life.

I assume it ended as well as if you had gotten professional medical attention?

It wouldn't surprise me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
Your uncle was right, although I wouldn't do the reverse, using human medication on an animal.

Working with what one has--I've seen it, and tried to practice it, all my life.

I assume it ended as well as if you had gotten professional medical attention?

It wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah. It healed up in no time. I wore shoes more often after that, AND I didn't sneak around fishing without permission anymore.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
Yeah. It healed up in no time. I wore shoes more often after that, AND I didn't sneak around fishing without permission anymore.

What freaked me was you walked through a swamp barefooted.

I wouldn't dare walk through a swamp wearing anything less than groin-high triple-shielded leather boots.

There's, uh, things there that bite.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
What freaked me was you walked through a swamp barefooted.

I wouldn't dare walk through a swamp wearing anything less than groin-high triple-shielded leather boots.

There's, uh, things there that bite.

I wouldn't do it now, but back then I guess it was the combination of the ignorance of youth and the fact that I had grown up in and around the swamp. Since then I have missed stepping on a timber-rattler rattlesnake by about one foot, I've come within two feet of walking into a copperhead that was in a bush about crotch high, and while wading through the water I've stepped on a moccasin and had his tail wrap around my leg. I try to be more careful now.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
My parents were teens in the '50s and they did this with Coke.  Probably RC as well. This was in Arkansas. I remember them doing it when I was a little girl, so I tried it one day. I liked it, but only thought of it when I saw them doing it.  I thought  it was cool to put popcorn in a glass of coke.  It tasted pretty good.  Same idea of salty sweet mix I suppose.  Off topic, but I've always liked putting a spoonful or two of peanut butter in a bowl of vanilla ice cream. I did that a lot when I was a kid.  

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
My mom also went to a drug store for lunch every day and had a big plate of fries and coke.  I have no idea how she stayed so skinny.  Sorry for the hijack.  Carry on :).

Offline thundley4

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »
This was apparently the type Royal Crown used during the same period:

A small local Texaco station had one of those type, but they stocked all the brands of soda in it, Pepsi, Coke, RC Cola, Tab, 3V, and various Nehi flavors. The same place was also a small convenience store.

Frank,
I know Nehi made at least 4 flavors: root beer, grape, orange and lemon-lime or something like that.

People that listen to country music might also remember songs talking about  putting peanuts in Coke, ( I was country when country wasn't cool) and Dr. Pepper, ( Back When by Tim McGraw.).

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
Nehi Peach...I don't remember if it was an original flavor, but my 2 oldest and I got totally hooked on splitting a Nehi Peach every time we went to the laundromat.  I was almost sorry when I could afford a used washer.   :-)

RC was my favorite cola when I grew up, but I don't recall anyone putting peanuts in it, they all bought Coke for that.  It wasn't something I ever did. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »
When you say shasta, this jingle comes to mind

Shasta

Reminds me of flapper music.

There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.