Author Topic: George Carlin Has Died  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
George Carlin Has Died
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »
George Carlin Has Died

ET breaks the news that comedian George Carlin has died from heart failure. The man who made famous the "seven words you can never say on television" passed away at 5:55 p.m. Sunday at Saint John's Hospital in Santa Monica, his longtime publicist said. He was 71.

Carlin, who has had several heart attacks and a history of cardiac issues, went into the hospital this afternoon after complaining of heart problems. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

Re: George Carlin Has Died
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »
Very sad.  My prayers and condolences to his friends and family. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:36 AM »
RIP, George Carlin.

He had a long and fruitful career.  His stand-up "comedy" was not my taste.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:55 AM »
:(   Prayers sent for him and his family.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
What a shock.

He always came up with some really funny stuff!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:16:26 AM »
Prayers for his soul.

He was funny way back when. 

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:53:01 AM »
When he first started out he was a funny gut, however, I guess all that hatred and heavy drug use in his later years came back to bite him in the a$$.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:02:06 AM »
RIP, George. 

In his honor, the Seven Dirty Words . . . naaah.  Just joking.  I'll leave it for another poster.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »
RIP, George Carlin.

He had a long and fruitful career.  His stand-up "comedy" was not my taste.

How sad -- prayers for his family.  In the 70's his material was groundbreaking and hilarious.  His later stuff was more for certain tastes.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:57:07 AM »
He will be missed. I saw him years ago in Providence, R.I. (Won tickets through a radio contest). He was one of those comedians who had opinions on anyone and anything, and was not bound by political correctness at all - An equal opportunity basher. He was also very quick on his feet, and could improvise his way out of a corner.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:21:43 AM »
R.I.P. I liked his Brain Droppings book.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 08:08:56 AM »
RIP Mr. Carlin. He the was first comedian that I listened to with my mom years and years ago. We were both scarlet with embarrassment at first but we ended up giggling our heads off. That memory has always stayed with me because I got to relate to my mom on a different level. At lot of his later stuff was unfunny and repetitious and relied too much on certain schticks. But for the most part, he was groundbreaking and deserves the accolades. It's interesting to watch his specials on cable. For a while, they were showing a lot of them and you could see how he aged. In the last one, he looked especially frail and old. And sadly, I didn't find it funny enough to watch to the end.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »
RIP

and my prayers to his family but I used to like him before hatred consumed his heart and his blind hatred for any Christian.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 08:10:27 AM »
RIP George.   :(

I still remember when I heard Carlin for the first time. Must have been 12 or so and a friend of mine had an older brother with a GC cassette tape. ("A place for my stuff" I think?) In my somewhat sheltered childhood it was quite a coup to listen to that comedy "bad boy". (this was the early 80's)

Damn. I wish "early" (lol) exposure to raunchy comedy was all kids had to wory about these days. Let alone what I may be protecting my (future) kids from.

Miss ya George. Best to the family. Thanks for the laughs.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Zafod Beeblebrox

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 09:51:57 AM »
Messin with your head was the best album he made.
He was good untill the 90's and then he became to polical and mean.

Online Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 10:02:09 AM »
Toledo Window Box.

RIP
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »

He was a respectable social comedian until he became part of the tragedy, which is the cheapening and added coarseness of society.  I can mourn the passing of a fellow man while not being too sad about a vulgar anti-Christian shock-valued commentarian no longer being around to perpetrate more dark and meaningless views upon a society which seem all too eager to embrace, without much critical thought, any stupid comment as long as it is wrapped in a blanket of intellectualism, no matter how phony or unfounded.       

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »
I noticed he started getting really bitter after his wife Brenda died! :(.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »
Very true, he did turn bitter. But the last year or so when I happened on him, he was lightning up some, and made it possible to listen without "Channel Surfing".

I hope it was painless and he made the transition in his sleep.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
He was a great, intelligent and thoughtful comedian when it wasn't being an anti-Christian bigot.  One of my favorite lines (probably was a part of the bit about what you cannot say on TV) was, "You can prick your finger, but never, ever finger your prick."  A great play on words.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 04:10:55 PM »
His stuff untill the 90s was funny as hell. He admited himself that his later stuff from the 90s wasn't funny and he didn't like it. No matter what though he did what all comedians wanted to do and that is make us laugh. He was one of the few left from the old days of doing acts like Rodney Dangerfield. RIP George
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »
Today on Sirius (or XM or whatever is in my rental car) they were playing all of his old material. Most of it had me LMAO -- Football vs. baseball, pedestrians are assholes, etc.

But then they did one that really showed how bad his game got in the late going.  He was talking about how assassination is peculiarly human (a correct observation), but how only "people who only wanted people to get along get assassinated -- Jesus, Ghandi, JFK, RFK, Medgar  Evers, Malcom X.."

The Kennedys?  Malcom X?  WTF???  Just everyone getting along was NOT on their agendae.  There was also some perfunctory Bush-bashing -- not inherently funny (that is, it was only funny to the BDS crowd).

Signs that the times shot past him while his brain stayed firmly parked in the 60s and 70s.

RIP.  I am sorry to see you go but I am really sad to see your humor stopped years before you did.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
The seven words I cannot say on TV. My condolences to George Carlin's family. I did not know he was that old.
 :bawl: :bawl:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline SemiSpook

• Contractor Puke
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There a
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 07:54:17 PM »
Yes, he did grow more cynical as the years went on, but I think that's due to the optimism of his earlier work meeting head on with the reality of today. If you listen to stuff from "Class Clown", that describes a lot of the basis of some of his leanings (if he dropped out in the 9th grade, methinks that the idea of "progressive" education had a lot to do with that).

While fairly vocal about his misgivings of his Catholic upbringing, the fact that he stayed married to the same woman for 36 years and then remarried after her death is about as Catholic as you can get in that department. So I pray this to you, George. You may have despaired, but I think your faith was still there, all along:

"Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace. Amen."
I would beg to differ with the notion that the current administration is *NOT* the most transparent in history. It certainly is...because you can see right through them.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »
George Carlin Has Died: ****.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.