Author Topic: McClellan Testifies on C.I.A. Leak  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
McClellan Testifies on C.I.A. Leak
« on: June 20, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »
McClellan Testifies on C.I.A. Leak

WASHINGTON — Scott McClellan, President Bush’s former press secretary, told the House Judiciary Committee on Friday that he had been unfairly vilified by Bush supporters for his recent book criticizing former White House colleagues over the Iraq war and their involvement in leaking the identity of an intelligence officer.

Mr. McClellan, however, offered little new information in his testimony on those issues beyond what he wrote in the book, “What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington’s Culture of Deception” (Public Affairs), which was published in May and last week topped the nonfiction best-seller list in The New York Times.

In the book, Mr. McClellan says senior White House officials misled the nation about the reasons for invading Iraq and maneuvered him into lying to the public about their roles in the leak case.

The book, a kind of mea culpa, has generated a rich discussion about the obligations of political loyalty, and Mr. McClellan’s appearance Friday on Capitol Hill provided another stage for that debate. The man who once regularly and seemingly by rote defended Mr. Bush from the White House press room podium was attacked by the committee’s ranking Republican, Representative Lamar Smith of Texas, who grilled Mr. McClellan as ferociously as any reporter had in his three years as press secretary.

Committee Democrats, on the other hand, were much gentler, treating Mr. McClellan as if he were an author promoting a book during in an interview.

In his opening statement, Mr. McClellan said that in contemporary Washington politics, “vicious attacks, distortions, political spin become accepted.” He added that “there is no more recent example of this unsavory side of politics than the initial reaction to my book,” in which he said his motives for writing it were unfairly attacked.

More

*cough*cough*ungratefulwussy*cough*cough*

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: McClellan Testifies on C.I.A. Leak
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
The one type of person in every culture in human history is a traitor.

McClellan may get is 15 minutes of fame (now on minute 14) -- but he will be considered a traitor by all ideologies for the rest of his life (and into the next).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
I guess he's still riding that wave of Soros-funded fame. *eyeroll*
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jendf

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »
Poor baby. My heart bleeds for him. It really does.  ::)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:19 PM »
I guess he's still riding that wave of Soros-funded fame. *eyeroll*

if GWB has one fault, it may be his loyalty to texans.  this is just another example of that.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
^totally agree. that and believing he could work with holdovers.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:46:31 PM »
^totally agree. that and believing he could work with holdovers.

I tend to agree, although I can't quit put my hands on the holdovers from bush41's administration,
beyond rumsfeld.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
I think she was referring to holdovers from Clinton, like tenet

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »
McClellan, Harriet Miers and Alberto Gonzales were lightweights who were average to below average choices. However, A.G. Gonzales was his worst choice because he should have fired all the partisian Democrats who were stabbing him the back.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »
I think she was referring to holdovers from Clinton, like tenet
Yes. Bush said he was going to D.C. and would "elevate the tone" and work with people from across the aisle. Lots of former Clinton Admin folks were kept. Huge mistake. Trust no one. Clean house. Install competent people loyal to your admin.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »
Can't possibly agree more. Clinton's people ware third rate at best, keeping them was the biggest mistake Bush 43 made.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 11:46:56 AM »

Yes. Bush said he was going to D.C. and would "elevate the tone" and work with people from across the aisle.

Unfortuneately for him...and the rest of the world...the D.C. species of Democrat isn't like the Texas branch of the species.

Lots of former Clinton Admin folks were kept. Huge mistake. Trust no one. Clean house. Install competent people loyal to your admin.

The bigger problems is that a lot of the Clinton holdovers are in places they aren't easily seen or easily removed.  Staffers and advisors to the CCF were dispersed into positions at Justice...State and other agencies around D.C.  They've become the behind the scenes players that are like unseen landmines for any future Republican Administration.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »
Can't possibly agree more. Clinton's people ware third rate at best, keeping them was the biggest mistake Bush 43 made.

Clinton had a reason for hire nincompoops - when things turned to $hit, he could lay the blame squarely at their feet, fire them, and get someone else probably just as dumb.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
I find it comical that anyone beings he has any credibility.  He was never present at any of the strategy meetings, therefore all he has is his opinion about what happened behind those closed doors - therein lays his sour grapes.

When they say the apple doesn't fall from the tree, it fits.  McClellan's father authored a book in which he theorized that LBJ was behind  JFK's assassination.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 02:31:40 PM »
That LBJ theory was out in Texas before JFK's body eas cold. I was in Austin that day, and before the Univ ersity of Texas closed that day, I had already heard that Johnson was in a different, closed car behind the President. An "older" Texan questioned me about what I had heard, and I repeated what I "knew". The man nodded knowingly and said words to the effect that that bastard Johnson had arranged the murder. So well thought of was LBJ.

Of course, you are correct that publishing a book that pandered to that theory was dishonest at best, as zero evidence points to it, indeed, all physical evidence points to Lee Oswald and the "Fair Play for Cuba Comm.." which consisted of.....LEE Oswald.

So, as noted, the fruit does not drop far from the tree. HOPE he gets caught in a "process crime" .

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »
Why a member of the committee didn't ask if McClellan knew Richard Armitage admitted to the leak, we'll never know.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
I was listening to C-SPAN earlier today.  McClellan testified that Armitage was the one who leaked Plame's name.  Conyers was busy mumbling and drooling on himself, but he did acknowledge McClellan's testominy.