Author Topic: Report: U.N. Development Program Routinely Passed on Millions to NK Regime  (Read 790 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
NEWS ANALYSIS —  After more than two years of accusations and probes into the operations of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in North Korea, a weighty report finally reveals how routinely, and systematically, the agency disregarded U.N. regulations on how it conducted itself in Kim Jong-Il’s brutal dictatorship, passing on millions of dollars to the regime in the process.

The 353-page report, by a three-member “External Independent Investigative Review Panel” appointed by UNDP to investigate itself, was published with much fanfare last week after nine months of political maneuvering and research.

The report depicts an organization that for years apparently considered itself immune from its own rules of procedure as well as the laws and regulations of countries that were trying to keep weapons of mass destruction out of Kim’s hands.

It also shows that UNDP apparently considered itself above the decisions of the United Nations Security Council itself when that organization tried — as it is still trying — to bar Kim from gaining the means to create more weapons of mass destruction.

That is the same Security Council whose decisions, U.N. officials argue, have the weight of international law when applied to the U.S. and the rest of the world.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365676,00.html

A long article with a link to the report.  Should make interesting reading.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Okay hold the phone....they investigated themselves???? I know that's standard practice for the Useless Nations but come on. How many scandals does it take before the world kicks them to the curb? I know, I know...it's never going to happen. Sigh.

I usually read a UN watchdog site called Eye on the UN. It makes my blood pressure skyrocket though.

The Fox link didn't work (wouldn't load - could be my PC) but here's another one - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121245179266439809.html
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle