Author Topic: Diary from Bible College  (Read 71989 times)

Offline ColonelCarrots

Re: Diary from Bible College
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2013, 05:18:47 PM »
Preaching finally in the big boy pulpit at church tonight.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »
I started my sermon tonight with "If you have your cell phones turn off Angry Birds and open your Bible to Psalms 91."

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »
I started my sermon tonight with "If you have your cell phones turn off Angry Birds and open your Bible to Psalms 91."

How did it go?  Funny, I just heard on the news that some preachers around here are encouraging their congregation to be on the phone, so they can tweet the message they are hearing.  I don't think I like that idea.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
Everyone told me i did a good job.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2013, 07:16:25 PM »
Everyone told me i did a good job.

And so it goes. Your preaching will become better and better with practice, but it's great to hear that those hearing you are giving  you thumbs-up. Congratulations!  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2013, 08:03:24 PM »
I'm uploading my sermon on youtube now.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
I'm uploading my sermon on youtube now.

sermon

Oh, thank God. I read that wrong the first time.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
[youtube=425,350]WjvR0aTKxJU[/youtube]

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
Today I learned that Psalms 91 is known as the Soldier's Psalm over in Afghanistan. We have a soldier in our congregation who came back last year, and he told me that. I felt very humbled.

My revised notes.

TEXT: Psa 91:1  He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2  I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3  Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4  He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

Introduction: Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I love preaching, and I am honored to be here tonight to preach God’s word. So lets get to it.
I.   What is the secret place of the most High? What is the shadow of the Almighty?

The secret place is our salvation. The shadow of the Almighty is the will and grace of God. When we put our faith and trust in God we enter into protective hands. He is our fortress. We can find refuge from the world with God.

If you look at verse four it says he will cover us with his wings. His truth shall be thy shield and buckler. His truth is right here. Imagine the will of God is an APC. An armored personnel carrier. That is a military transport that takes soldiers from point A to point B. Our faith is the same thing. We use God to get from point A to point B. As long as we put our faith in God we get from point A to point B. Just like an APC in a combat zone we may come under fire, but that is ok.

With the protection of God we are protected from the snare of the fowler as we see in verse three. The fowler is Satan and he likes to trap us with sin. He will throw things at us, but as long as we stay in the will of God we have nothing to worry about. Just like a soldier if we leave the APC or us when we step out of the Will of God we end up getting hurt if we’re under fire. We ask why do we get hurt, and the very clear answer is we stepped out into dangerous territory.

In this passage in verse five it calls sin destruction and an arrow. When we step out from behind our shield we get hurt. Like in verse six it calls sin pestilence and destruction. We learn that with Samson he was a man that liked to sin. It was a disease to him it held onto him and clung to him and it ultimately brought his destruction. That is what happens when we step out from behind our shield.

Verse seven it says that a thousand may fall at thy side and ten thousand at thy right hand. We all have a thousand problems, but you know what? We have ten times as many problems later, but we don’t have to worry. When we stand behind the shield of God it will not come nigh us. Why? Because we put our faith in him. We’ll have ten thousand problems, but ultimately our reward is heaven if we put our faith in God. We see that finally in verse eight. We can watch the reward of the wicked. A reward can be both good or bad for the wicked. You could be like Saul who became Paul who was rewarded eternal life in heaven all because he had faith, or you can see the reward of Judas who betrayed Jesus and his reward was death for he was wicked.

Conclusion: Ultimately our greatest protection is eternal life in heaven. I can keep talking about how great God’s protection is, but it is so much better when we hear it from God. Look at verse fourteen.
“14  Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15  He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16  With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.”

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
So we're in 1 Samuel in Historical Books. We went over the part where the Israelites go to war with the philistines. They lose the first battle, and they get this bright idea "The Ark of the Covenant will save us! Bring it and have it lead us to battle." Well they lose again and lose the Ark. Well the philistines take it and put it in one of their Temples. The statue of Dagon falls one night. They pick it back up and the next night it falls again with it's head broken and hands broken off. The philistines get the idea "Maybe we should move the Ark of the Lord." So they do, and then at the next town there is a massacre and everyone pretty much dies. They decide to move it again and the people at that town are like "No you can keep it, no seriously don't bring it here." Well they move it there anyways and then everyone that doesn't die gets Emerods which is a really bad hemorrhoid almost like a tumor. You know I think God has a sense of humor.

So we went out soulwinning and we get to this house.
Me "Hello sir we're from Westgate Baptist and we're out inviting people to church."
Him "Oh I go to church."
Me "Oh really? What kind of church?"
Him "First reformed"
Me "Well sir I'd like to ask you some spiritual questions."
Him "Sure go ahead"
Me "Well sir are you 100% sure you'd go to heaven?"
him "I'm sure, but I want to know what you Baptist believe."
Me "Well we believe that Jesus has to be your savior."
Him "Which is basically the foundation of all religion. I don't believe that stuff. We've cut and dried and diced it so many times I believe that when Jesus comes back he won't even be a Christian. Now Go!"
Me "Well sir I just want to give you some infor..."
Him "Goo!"

Kinda bummed me out tonight. Oh well.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
You can't save 'em all, CC.

I'd give ya a carrot, but I'm all out.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »
So I have this special lady friend. She's a nice girl, she is from my church, and her parents like me. I won their hearts by asking permission to write to her while she is away at college. We've talked a lot since then, I've written two letter, and we have a date sometime in May. She is into all things geek related. She loves Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Avengers, Star Wars, and other things. I mean she wants to have an all day Lord of the Rings marathon. I did that once. 13 hours of Lord of the Rings. What more could I ask for?

Well the story behind this is back in December I was feeling a little lonely. I have friends, but its not the same when its a special friend you know? Well I asked the Lord to send me a friend, and if you don't believe me you probably should because he does listen.

Also she loves BBQ, shes a redhead, and left handed like me. Oh! And I made a Young Frankenstein reference (I called myself abby normal) and she got it.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
So we are having a men's seminar tomorrow night and saturday at another church. Just to talk about how men are supposed to be Biblical. Tomorrow they're having a golf tournament. Unfortunately I can't go. I have too much on my plate to go. I have to write a message for Saturday for kickball devotions. I also have to write a message for Sunday. I was a little discouraged I couldn't go, but I figured there was a reason why. I know why now.

I also had a thought. The kickball devotion is for little kids, my sunday message is for little kids. I've thought about it and it makes sense as to why I'm working with the little kids in my Church. God is using it to build experience to be a chaplain. You think that's crazy, but think about it. We have kids who have never heard the Gospel before, some are abused sexually, some are abused physically, some are neglected, some are depressed, and some just need help. As a chaplain I may have to help a woman who was sexually abused, I may have to help someone with anger, I will have to help depressed soldiers, and I may have to help someone with their anger. Some of those soldiers are going to be those kids. They may never have heard the Gospel before. They may have never seen a Bible before. They're going to be new to the Word of God. Spiritually they're children.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2013, 11:52:17 AM »
Title: God is Listening

Text: Psalm 6

Introduction: This psalm is a psalm of David. It is about forgiveness from the Lord.

Message: The psalm starts out with David begging for forgiveness. He is begging to God to forgive him for his sin. I don’t know what David was regretting, but what I do know is that God was listening. You see God listens to everything we say. God watches everything we do. What David was doing was asking for forgiveness. He knew that he had sinned and come short of the glory of God.

David knew what the price of his sin was. The Bible says “For the wages of sin is death.”, and that death is hell. In verse five David says “For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?” When David mentions grave he is talking about hell.

David is grieved for his sin. He is ashamed of his sin, and he is begging for forgiveness. He knows that has heard his prayer. Because God is listening to everything. He goes to God with his sin and begs for forgiveness, and we go to Jesus and we beg him to forgive us. For we know that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. David knew that there would be pain for his sin. It wasn’t going to be his pain, but Christ’s.

In verse nine David knows that God had heard his plea. He knows God heard his prayer in verse ten, and he begs to God to forgive him. He puts his faith in God, his puts his heart into God. David had faith. The Bible says for whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. David was calling on the Lord. David knew God was listening.

God is listening, when you’re sad and you feel like the world is crashing around you God is watching. When your parents are fighting and cursing at each other God is watching and listening. When you are in need of help God is watching. But do you know how we can get help from God?

It is so very simple. We have to be like David. We have to ask God to forgive our sins. We have to beg God to forgive us. We need to realize that God gave us the way to that forgiveness, and that is through Jesus. We need to believe that Jesus died for us on the cross at Calvary. We need to believe that Jesus is risen, and when we believe in the Lord we need to call to him. We need to call on the Lord to save us.

Conclusion: We need to call on the Lord to help us. When we have sinned we need to ask God to forgive us. We need to be like David, and put our faith in the Lord. We need to be like David, and know that God is listening and He will help us.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
Title: God is Listening

Text: Psalm 6

Introduction: This psalm is a psalm of David. It is about forgiveness from the Lord.

Message: The psalm starts out with David begging for forgiveness. He is begging to God to forgive him for his sin. I don’t know what David was regretting, but what I do know is that God was listening. You see God listens to everything we say. God watches everything we do. What David was doing was asking for forgiveness. He knew that he had sinned and come short of the glory of God.

David knew what the price of his sin was. The Bible says “For the wages of sin is death.”, and that death is hell. In verse five David says “For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?” When David mentions grave he is talking about hell.

David is grieved for his sin. He is ashamed of his sin, and he is begging for forgiveness. He knows that has heard his prayer. Because God is listening to everything. He goes to God with his sin and begs for forgiveness, and we go to Jesus and we beg him to forgive us. For we know that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. David knew that there would be pain for his sin. It wasn’t going to be his pain, but Christ’s.

In verse nine David knows that God had heard his plea. He knows God heard his prayer in verse ten, and he begs to God to forgive him. He puts his faith in God, his puts his heart into God. David had faith. The Bible says for whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. David was calling on the Lord. David knew God was listening.

God is listening, when you’re sad and you feel like the world is crashing around you God is watching. When your parents are fighting and cursing at each other God is watching and listening. When you are in need of help God is watching. But do you know how we can get help from God?

It is so very simple. We have to be like David. We have to ask God to forgive our sins. We have to beg God to forgive us. We need to realize that God gave us the way to that forgiveness, and that is through Jesus. We need to believe that Jesus died for us on the cross at Calvary. We need to believe that Jesus is risen, and when we believe in the Lord we need to call to him. We need to call on the Lord to save us.

Conclusion: We need to call on the Lord to help us. When we have sinned we need to ask God to forgive us. We need to be like David, and put our faith in the Lord. We need to be like David, and know that God is listening and He will help us.

Sounds good Colonel C. except David was a bounder and a murderer.  He knew full well the wishes of God and what God had done for him yet he in a way flipped the bird at God and did as he pleased. Only when he got his butt in a sling did he ask forgiveness from God and his motives were very selfish.
 For some reason I have never been too fond of David, I will have to go back and read about his time again, it has been YEARS since I became acquainted with his trials and tribulations.

BTW I have THE BOOK, much easier to read without all those thees and thous.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »
Sounds good Colonel C. except David was a bounder and a murderer.  He knew full well the wishes of God and what God had done for him yet he in a way flipped the bird at God and did as he pleased. Only when he got his butt in a sling did he ask forgiveness from God and his motives were very selfish.
 For some reason I have never been too fond of David, I will have to go back and read about his time again, it has been YEARS since I became acquainted with his trials and tribulations.

BTW I have THE BOOK, much easier to read without all those thees and thous.
David ultimately repented for his sins. That is what is more important.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
Preaching again next Sunday at the nursing home.

Homework to finish for this week. Did a 1500 word paper on D.L. Moody in six hours yesterday. Got another paper to write tonight, and I want the next 3 weeks to end. Then I have the summer and I may have a job lined up Mc. Donald's. My goal is to save up at least $2,000 for the next school year for both semesters.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »
Huzzah! It is finals week!

Free at last, free at last! Thank God almighty! We are free at last.

I can take a break. I got a date this Saturday. I got a job coming up. I didn't do too bad this semester. I have like 88 in all but two of my classes. Romans and History I got above 95. Considering that Romans is my hardest class after English, that ain't bad.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
It is finished.

And my special lady friend is here. I got to see her tonight. Date saturday. I'm exhausted. We heard good preaching all day today and tonight. We even honored someone with a doctorate degree.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2013, 11:31:11 PM »
Finally got my report card. I got 4 B's, 1 C+, 5 A's. Had a GPA of 3.54.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2013, 11:39:21 PM »
Great diary. It has somewhat inspired me to post mine. But only by popular demand.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
Just got home from orientation, and we start next Tuesday. I have one class on Tuesdays.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
Well I have started my second week. I have completed my first paper, and I am ahead on some of my reading assignments already.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »
Well I have started my second week. I have completed my first paper, and I am ahead on some of my reading assignments already.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYS-GzBSIg[/youtube]
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »
Well I recently took over one of the children ministries at my church. It's been fun so far. First time I told the story of Esther, and the kids were great. They were listening, and they learned something. Second time I became a little discouraged during the message, and I felt I messed up some how. God ended up working, and two little girls got saved.

In addition to my discouraging morning, I started praying more for a direction on where to teach and preach to the kids. I believe I have a talent at story telling than expository preaching. Explaining verse by verse may not be my talent, but I believe I can tell a story of something related. Expository preaching I've always had trouble with. So I prayed for a direction, and I'm going to be taking the kids through Exodus.

I'm going to make a Moses costume similar to Charlton Heston's from The Ten Commandments, and each Sunday we're in Exodus I'm going to wear it. Going to bring Fried Chicken and Biscuits to eat to symbolize manna and quail. I'm going to make the Ten Commandment our of styrofoam board. Each week I'll let the kids put one commandment up, and teach it to them.