Author Topic: CA city gives $500 month to everyone with no strings attached. Here are the find  (Read 899 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212561904

DUmmies lying to DUmmies.  Nothing new here.  I read this article the other day and I've been waiting to see if the DUmmies would pick it up.  Here's what the OP is telling the other DUmmies;

Maraya1969 (14,649 posts)

CA city gives $500 month to everyone with no strings attached. Here are the findings.

A California city gave some residents $500 a month, no strings attached. Here’s how they spent it.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/10/8/20902839/universal-basic-income-stockton-trial

What would a needy person do if you gave them $500 a month, no strings attached?

Stockton, California, is finding out. The city is eight months into an 18-month experiment with basic income, the idea that the government should give citizens a regular infusion of unconditional free cash. And it just released the first batch of data about how recipients are spending the money.

It turns out, they’re mostly spending it on food, clothes, and utility bills.

The data is provisional — the basic income experiment still has 10 months to go — and the number of participants is small: 125 people (out of an estimated 311,000 Stockton residents) who live at or below the median income line (around $46,000), nearly half of whom are working full- or part-time.

But it offers a counter to critics of basic income, who often claim that people getting free money will blow it on frivolous things or addictive substances, and that they won’t bother to find work. The evidence does not support that belief.

“In this country, we have an issue with associating people who are struggling economically and people of color with vices like drug use, alcohol use, gambling,” said Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs. “I thought it was important to illustrate folks aren’t using this money for things like that. They are using it for literal necessities.”

Now, we know 99% of the DUmmies won't click on the link, even though it goes to some left wing rag, so let me show you what jumped out to me in the article the other day.

Here’s another wrinkle in the Stockton basic income trial: Each participant was given $500 per month on a debit card, so that researchers would be able to see how they were using the money. However, 40 percent of it was withdrawn as cash, so researchers had to rely on participants to tell them where the money went.

Emphasis mine.  They deceive each other all the time to further a particular agenda.  Even if these people used the debit card for every single purchase, what's to say they didn't use that for the legitimate items they know are being tracked, and using their OWN money for the vices?  I mean, they didn't give this to homeless people (for obvious reasons) they gave it to people making slightly less than $46k/year.

OnlinePoker (3,988 posts)

8. Headline doesn't match article headline

They only gave the money to a fraction of a percent of the population. For a one year period, total cost for the 125 recipients would be $750k. If they expanded it to "everyone" in Stockton, it would cost $1.866 Billion annually.

That's the only DUmmie so far pointing out just how stupid the whole concept is.  I hope this thread grows, it could be fun!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

1. The City of Stockton is collecting the "data" and doing the "study".  They are highly unlikely to be truthful about their boondoggle being an F-Up.

2. The City of Stockton went bankrupt in 2015, the heart of the fantabulous Obamaconomy. In 2007 an effort to bring USS Iowa to Stockton to be a museum failed because the City of Stockton could not afford the necessary conversion. Good fiscal manglement is not a Stockton strength.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

Here’s another wrinkle in the Stockton basic income trial: Each participant was given $500 per month on a debit card, so that researchers would be able to see how they were using the money. However, 40 percent of it was withdrawn as cash, so researchers had to rely on participants to tell them where the money went.

that's because drug pushers only accept green as a form of payment.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
that's because drug pushers only accept green as a form of payment.

Hey there Mr. Negative Nancy!  Come on, you don't think that was so they could drop cash into the donation plate at church??

These people promising FREE money, like the democrat Andrew Yang wanting to give EVERYONE $1,000/month aren't telling the whole truth.  All it is, is a huge washing machine.  I'm going to take $1,000 from that guy over there and give it to this woman here, then I'm going to take $1,000 from that woman's husband and give it to that guy over there while taking $1,000 from him and giving it to the woman's husband ... lather, rinse, repeat.

Jeeze, talk about a pyramid scheme ...

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/9/5/20849020/alaska-permanent-fund-universal-basic-income

I wonder if the OP DUmmie followed one of the links in the article it posted.  Very enlightening in some areas, but since it has a leftward spin to it, they try to still make it sound Utopian.

KC

*Stolen

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
“In this country, we have an issue with associating people who are struggling economically and people of color with vices like drug use, alcohol use, gambling,” said Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs. “I thought it was important to illustrate folks aren’t using this money for things like that. They are using it for literal necessities.”

My niece does not live in that area, but her husband just could not keep a job because of Jack Daniels. I can guess where HIS $500 month would go.  :whatever:
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline landofconfusion80

Hey there Mr. Negative Nancy!  Come on, you don't think that was so they could drop cash into the donation plate at church??

These people promising FREE money, like the democrat Andrew Yang wanting to give EVERYONE $1,000/month aren't telling the whole truth.  All it is, is a huge washing machine.  I'm going to take $1,000 from that guy over there and give it to this woman here, then I'm going to take $1,000 from that woman's husband and give it to that guy over there while taking $1,000 from him and giving it to the woman's husband ... lather, rinse, repeat.

Jeeze, talk about a pyramid scheme ...

KC
I thought it would be nice to sign up for the yang lottery and give half of the winnings to the trump campaign. The other half goes to the nra
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)