Author Topic: Need some stereo system help/advice  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Need some stereo system help/advice
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
I haven't used my turntable in years and I left my good amplifier up in MN when I moved to Texas. I recently purchased a Pioneer VSX-519V Tuner/amp. Apparently, manufacturers no longer include a pre-amplified section for the turntable. I purchased a Pyle Pro PP999 phono preamp. It pretty much sucks. I'm looking for recommendations for a fair priced pre-amp to help make my turntable work propery with the amplifier. If anybody has any recommendations........ (there are MANY to choose from whose prices range from $12-$800. I am looking for something under $100.) I would TRULY appreciate it. (The thought has crossed my mind about building one, but there are several kits to choose from)

As a side note, I haven't had to purchase any new home audio equipment since 1992 as everything was working just fine.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Need some stereo system help/advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
What type of cartridge is in your tone arm? 

I'll assume that it is magnetic.......if so, there are still some very high quality ceramic cartridges available that produce a high enough signal level to be used in a normal low-impedance amp input, such as that for a CD player.  You may be able to get by simply changing the cartridge......

Shure makes one, if I remember correctly, that is made specifically for your application (I can't remember the model, but I'll try to find it)  You will need to rebalance and re-track the tone arm, but that is easy, depending on the make/model of the turntable.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
It has this cartridge. (Moving magnet) I was just now able to locate an instruction manual for the turntable. The web is SO handy !!  :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »
Try this one: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA540P

Looks like a good/excellent unit for the money.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:51:27 AM »
I have a Thorens turntable, and they are typically high end components......you might want to check this one out.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Thorens-PreAmp_p_1888.html

It is slightly more expensive than you wanted, but the specs are top-notch.........

This site also has ceramic replacement cartridges for your tone arm, if you want to go that way......

doc
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:53:44 AM by TVDOC »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
I spoke with Brad at The Needle Doctor after they opened this morning (10:00) He strongly recommended this one He said that dollar for dollar, that's the cat's ass. He said that I could go higher end, but it wasn't necessary and I wouldn't benefit very much with a higher end preamp. I HOPE he's right because I ordered that one.  Thanks for y'all's help!! :)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »
I spoke with Brad at The Needle Doctor after they opened this morning (10:00) He strongly recommended this one He said that dollar for dollar, that's the cat's ass. He said that I could go higher end, but it wasn't necessary and I wouldn't benefit very much with a higher end preamp. I HOPE he's right because I ordered that one.  Thanks for y'all's help!! :)

Audio-Technica has been around for a long time, and made good stuff, I was a bit troubled that they didn't give any performance specs, but you will likely be fine.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »
Audio-Technica has been around for a long time, and made good stuff, I was a bit troubled that they didn't give any performance specs, but you will likely be fine.......

doc

Yeah, that lack of information troubled me a bit. I'll let y'all know how well it works. I'm returning that Pyle PP999 POS. Pyle used to make some decent equipment (Not great, just decent) at one point, but apparently they've gone down the toilet.

And now, it seems like the speakers I ran to Dallas to pick up don't seem to be fully functional. It sounds as if everything is coming from the woofer and little or nothing out of the tweeter and mid-range. I'm thinking something with the x over
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:05:47 PM by Thor »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:22:25 PM »
something with the x over

Sounds like it, or a loose internal lead....

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 09:11:01 PM »
Unfortunately, the mid range and the tweeter were bad. (BOTH Speakers)  :censored: I ordered replacement parts after I discovered that Radio Shack no longer carries replacement speakers. They Really need to change their name. They are so far away from their roots that it's sickening. I doubt that I could even get an SWR Meter from there any more.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »
Radio Shack hasn't had anything to do with radios for about 10 years.  I think they were bought out by Sprint or something... you'd have a better chance at finding electronic parts at some auto parts store.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:15:12 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
Unfortunately, the mid range and the tweeter were bad. (BOTH Speakers)  :censored: I ordered replacement parts after I discovered that Radio Shack no longer carries replacement speakers. They Really need to change their name. They are so far away from their roots that it's sickening. I doubt that I could even get an SWR Meter from there any more.

Even when they did carry parts they stocked cheap crap......If I  needed electronic parts I always used Mouser or someplace similiar.

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »
Received the replacement speakers yesterday. Installed them. Perfect fit and great sound. The Pioneer VSX-519K died last night. I inadvertently pulled the plug on all of the equipment in the stereo system and it refused to power back up. Took it back to Best Buy and traded it for a Sony with similar features. Now I'm waiting for some patch cables to connect my PC to the stereo (50ft cables) Interestingly enough, my turntable has developed a problem. One side of the stereo audio out has died. I'm hoping that it's just a cable. I need to dig out my multi-meter so I can troubleshoot it.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
So, I plugged my computer into the stereo and was jamming out just fine to some tunes. I wound up blowing the alleged 100 watt capable woofers :banghead: :maddernhell:  New ones are on order to the tune of $160. I was truly astonished by the cost of replacement woofers. The positive side is that the speakers will be re-worked and I shouldn't have any problems with them for a long while. I think I discovered the problem with the turntable. The connections appeared to be loose at the cartridge. I can't tell if I corrected that problem until I get the replacement speakers. (I can, but the impedance discrepancy could damage the amp.)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »
So, I plugged my computer into the stereo and was jamming out just fine to some tunes. I wound up blowing the alleged 100 watt capable woofers :banghead: :maddernhell:  New ones are on order to the tune of $160. I was truly astonished by the cost of replacement woofers. The positive side is that the speakers will be re-worked and I shouldn't have any problems with them for a long while. I think I discovered the problem with the turntable. The connections appeared to be loose at the cartridge. I can't tell if I corrected that problem until I get the replacement speakers. (I can, but the impedance discrepancy could damage the amp.)

Damn.....what are you driving the speakers with that you ended up blowing them?  Typically a good quality speaker can tolerate almost 200% of its rated power on peaks, so long as the distortion level is low.......it is the distortion that typically blows speakers, unless you had them plugged into a 500 watt amp.

In my system, I have a pair of AR 4's (the newer version, circa 2001, not the original AR's of the 1960 vintage), and I'm driving them with two McIntosh 500 watt per channel stereo amps, each strapped to mono (one for each channel), for 1000 watts per channel.  The AR's are only rated for 600 W/channel, and I've driven them to the threshold of pain, and never blown a speaker..........I have an old Telarc recording of the "1812 Overture" that the cannon fire will hit close to 125 dB in the room, and it handles it with no problem......my wife really hates that recording however, as all of her wall hangings tend to dance around a lot.......

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »
These were some apparently cheap "Acoustic" brand speakers.

I was driving them with the new Sony STR-DH500 (5.1, 100 watts per channel)

I was pretty disappointed that the woofers blew.  :o Anyways, I ordered new woofers. These Those should handle everything that amp can throw at them.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
I had a similar stereo attached to a pair of Kenwood 200-watt speakers.  The sound was magnificent and those speakers would take everything I could throw at them.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »
What you need is a pair of these......

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/klipschorn-overview/

I had a set of an earlier generation of these a long time ago, and they were AWESOME.......and they require very little power to drive.......they take up a hell of a lot of space however.......

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »
What you need is a pair of these......

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/klipschorn-overview/

I had a set of an earlier generation of these a long time ago, and they were AWESOME.......and they require very little power to drive.......they take up a hell of a lot of space however.......

doc

Are you going to buy those for me for Christmas?? Sheesh, $4K each ??!?!?!?  :o   :mental:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
These were some apparently cheap "Acoustic" brand speakers.

I was driving them with the new Sony STR-DH500 (5.1, 100 watts per channel)

I was pretty disappointed that the woofers blew.  :o Anyways, I ordered new woofers. These Those should handle everything that amp can throw at them.

:thatsright: Uggh, ya, they are cheap. Well, if you can "fix them up", let us know how they turn out.

I was running these:

until the woofer died last month (it developed cracks from old age).
The cost of repair is $2500, it's gonna be a loooonnng time before it's fixed.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
:thatsright: Uggh, ya, they are cheap. Well, if you can "fix them up", let us know how they turn out.

Replacing speaker is relatively mindless. One just needs to know what impedance they're working with. I THINK I was firing 100 Watts RMS (@8 Ohms) into a speaker set that was of 4 Ohm impedance (or less) Reducing total impedance is a cheap way to make a cheap system sound good. I bought some "decent" replacement speakers (not great, just decent) They will sound ok, at least to my ears. (I have good hearing, but I'm not an audiophile by any means)

until the woofer died last month (it developed cracks from old age).
The cost of repair is $2500, it's gonna be a loooonnng time before it's fixed.
I have NO idea as to what "brand" speakers those are but I found my speakers at http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm You, too, might be able to find some replacement woofers there. The ones I found were direct replacements (8 screw holes and the right cut out dimensions, etc)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »
Once place I worked as a computer tech, we had someone that wanted a refund for a somewhat-expensive pair of speakers because of a buzzing/rattling noise.  Turns out the problem was some loose screws holding the speakers in place. 

Come to think of it, he might have been trying to screw us over....  It was busy that day and I didn't think of that.  Bastard.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »
Replacing speaker is relatively mindless. One just needs to know what impedance they're working with. I THINK I was firing 100 Watts RMS (@8 Ohms) into a speaker set that was of 4 Ohm impedance (or less) Reducing total impedance is a cheap way to make a cheap system sound good. I bought some "decent" replacement speakers (not great, just decent) They will sound ok, at least to my ears. (I have good hearing, but I'm not an audiophile by any means)
I have NO idea as to what "brand" speakers those are but I found my speakers at http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm You, too, might be able to find some replacement woofers there. The ones I found were direct replacements (8 screw holes and the right cut out dimensions, etc)

They're Apogee Duetta II speakers. The big silver panel is the woofer, very, very exotic. No cone drivers.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:49 PM »
I was looking at a linear array transducer as a subwoofer for my truck.

It's smallish and wouldn't take up much room. With the grill cover on, it's impossible to ascertain what type of  drivers those could possibly be.

I received my replacement speakers today. Yanked out the old defective ones and replaced them with the new ones. Sounds pretty damned good, so far. I have noticed that my amp is getting  quite warm. I may have to design some sort of cooling apparatus to correct that.  So far, I haven't been able to overdrive the woofers. I may re-wire everything once I locate my solder, flux and heat shrink. I'm not happy with the existing wiring although it works.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »
Damn.....what are you driving the speakers with that you ended up blowing them?  Typically a good quality speaker can tolerate almost 200% of its rated power on peaks, so long as the distortion level is low.......it is the distortion that typically blows speakers, unless you had them plugged into a 500 watt amp.

In my system, I have a pair of AR 4's (the newer version, circa 2001, not the original AR's of the 1960 vintage), and I'm driving them with two McIntosh 500 watt per channel stereo amps, each strapped to mono (one for each channel), for 1000 watts per channel.  The AR's are only rated for 600 W/channel, and I've driven them to the threshold of pain, and never blown a speaker..........I have an old Telarc recording of the "1812 Overture" that the cannon fire will hit close to 125 dB in the room, and it handles it with no problem......my wife really hates that recording however, as all of her wall hangings tend to dance around a lot.......

doc

LOL!
I've seen that recording of 1812 actually BLOW speakers right out of the enclosure.  Not like explosive, but still totally wrecked.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7