Author Topic: I still maintain that Chris Wallace should have shut the debate down.  (Read 1387 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member LuckyCharms (8,714 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214166448

I still maintain that Chris Wallace should have shut the debate down.

I know there are opinions here that Chris Wallace was not at fault. Well, maybe he wasn't the one who was yelling and screaming, but he did not do his job. Trump was like a cornered animal and there is really no way to control him except to admonish him like you would a misbehaving child, and then verbally slap the living **** out of Trump, all while calling him "Mr. President". And then...

"Mr. President, I'm shutting this debate down because you literally cannot behave like an adult. It will be up to you to explain to the American people why this is".

I thought VP Biden did a fantastic job. All the viewing audience needed to see was the contrast between the two men, and that was apparent quickly. He looked directly into the camera, spoke the truth, and spoke from his heart. There are very few people around who would have been able to maintain their composure as well as VP Biden did.

Trump didn't turn that debate into a street fight, he turned it into a machete attack.

The first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning was how Wallace kept saying "You'll like this next question, Mr. President". That is a CLASSIC response of an abuse victim. It was ****ing heartbreaking.

You should give bullies no quarter. No, it was not possible to go up there and punch Trump out, but he did have the weapon of admonishment and stopping the debate. I'm wondering how many abuse victims were reduced to tears after that debacle? There's certainly enough stress right now, America did not need that shit. Some might say that it gave VP Biden a chance to strike a contrast, and that is true. It also put to rest Trump's bullshit about Biden being senile. But what else it did was give Trump the opportunity to rile up the Unendowed Boys. A call to violence. **** that shit...America doesn't need it.

Joe Biden won that debate in the first 10 minutes. He also won the election.

:rotf:

beachbumbob (6,451 posts)

1. who the heck is saying Wallace was not at fault? He failed to do his job, another coward in the face of trump.

EndlessWire (1,231 posts)

8. I disagree.

There was nothing he could do to control Trump. The debate was a waste of time except to show what an asshole Trump is, and to show that he is planning violence. And, I don't think that you can just up and cancel air time like that on your own.

I hope that the networks cancel the next two debates based on the first one. THAT is something that is doable before it happens.

I was surprised to hear Wallace state that he was the one who picked the questions.

I can't stand to see Trump's demeanor. He appears to be an angry, vicious man who can barely contain himself. He looks every bit like Hitler. The only thing he had was money to attract women. Who would otherwise think that this thing is a good catch, worthy of devotion? How he got so many second chances is beyond me. As a totally selfish reason not to vote for him, I don't want to look at his ugly mug for four more years. Please wish him into the cornfield!

Star Member C_U_L8R (36,603 posts)

5. Trumps awfulness was on display for all to see

On global tv and streams, under bright lights with powerful lenses. It was ugly. Revolting. Hideous. But so necessary to his ultimate undoing.

Star Member bdamomma (56,934 posts)

15. He needs to STOP

We are the only ones to STOP HIM, be it non violence or violence.

cbdo2007 (8,805 posts)

13. It is too late this year but the Dems need to INSIST on silent mics in future debates.

Or they don't participate.

Both sides have to agree to the rules. Dems should not agree to rules where the Debate Commission will not enforce their rules and cut off the mics plain and simple.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: I still maintain that Chris Wallace should have shut the debate down.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »
Yet another set of DUpipo POed that Joe the Trump Slayer didn't reduce Trump to a puddle of quivering goo.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »
Biden has to have his campaigning done by his wife and his debating done by the moderator.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 11:18:21 AM »
1. If the media outfits wanted to minimize/discourage interrupting, they could easily mute the microphone of the person not speaking. This could also be done to discourage and shut down going over a speaker's allotted time. The media people don't decline to do it because it's difficult, they do it because to a large degree they want interruptions and such.

2. I haven't watched or listened to a debate or convention speech or SOTU speech in well over 30 years. Last evening was no exception. I did, however, catch a few seconds of Biden's intro as I was starting my car for my commute home. In just those few seconds Biden told a huge whopper of a lie, claiming Trump had no plan for Covid-19. I have probably consumed a couple of 24-hour man-days searching and compiling info about Covid-19, from its first appearance in Wuhan, China through relevant news from last week. See the links in my signature. Many things are clear to me. One is that the Trump Administration acted early (a week or less from when the world first heard of the Wuhan outbreak), in a coherent, planned way, with the plan being updated and adjusted as more was learned and events transpired.

I do not know whether Joe lied, gaming people's fading memories, or is so blitheringly ignorant that he believes what he claimed. But his claim, made in his first few seconds, is false.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 01:32:42 PM »
Biden has to have his campaigning done by his wife and his debating done by the moderator.

that's gotta burn..
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
that's gotta burn..
He won't remember it anyway
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »

2. I haven't watched or listened to a debate or convention speech or SOTU speech in well over 30 years. Last evening was no exception. I did, however, catch a few seconds of Biden's intro as I was starting my car for my commute home. In just those few seconds Biden told a huge whopper of a lie, claiming Trump had no plan for Covid-19. I have probably consumed a couple of 24-hour man-days searching and compiling info about Covid-19, from its first appearance in Wuhan, China through relevant news from last week. See the links in my signature. Many things are clear to me. One is that the Trump Administration acted early (a week or less from when the world first heard of the Wuhan outbreak), in a coherent, planned way, with the plan being updated and adjusted as more was learned and events transpired.

Thanks for the links. I seem to recall hearing that there is speculation that the first cases in China occurred MUCH earlier than they admit--like November, possibly earlier. Assuming that is true, with direct flights from Wuhan to the US and the rest of the world, there was NOTHING that could have been done to prevent the virus from hitting our shores. I know several people who are sure that they had it as early as January. Don't know if that's true, but it is certainly plausible.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
Thanks for the links. I seem to recall hearing that there is speculation that the first cases in China occurred MUCH earlier than they admit--like November, possibly earlier. Assuming that is true, with direct flights from Wuhan to the US and the rest of the world, there was NOTHING that could have been done to prevent the virus from hitting our shores. I know several people who are sure that they had it as early as January. Don't know if that's true, but it is certainly plausible.

The best info I have is that doctors in Wuhan - a city of >11 million - had enough similar cases to recognize something was happening some time around December 7th or 10th. Around December 25th Wuhan doctors had seen enough evidence of family member or coworkers or patient-doctor transmissions that they were warning each other to take precautions. Around December 31st and in the first several days of January, multiple labs in Wuhan had sequenced the virus' DNA.

Compare those chronological milestones to what China told the world - by leaks or through official channels:

On December 31st word was leaked to the West that an outbreak was happening in Wuhan. ~3 1/2 weeks delay from when it was recognized in Wuhan!

On January 11th, the DNA sequence of the virus was leaked to the West and confirmed by China. Nearly 2 weeks delay from when it was first sequenced.

After denying it almost daily from December 31st onward, on January 20th China and their running-dog mouthpiece WHO admitted that human to human transmission was happening. Nearly 4 weeks delay from when Wuhan doctors started warning each other to take precautions.

China did not restrict domestic travel out of Hubei Province until January 23rd! And were still encouraging China-flag carriers to continue flying internationally in early February!

The infections I've seen that dated to late November were not confirmed to be what is now called Covid-19 until samples from the patients that had not been discarded were tested in January or February. So the virus was in circulation in November but not yet recognized.

So, given the lag between whenever the virus started circulating in November and when Wuhan doctors recognized there was an outbreak, the virus almost certainly was circulating in much of China and had been carried out of China by mid December. So even if China had notified the world promptly - as they were supposed to do as members of WHO - the outbreak could not have been contained to Hubei Province. But the spread outside of China might have been considerably less.

The 2 week delay in communicating the DNA sequence was a 2 week delay in other countries being able to develop diagnostic tests and start vaccine development.

The 4 week delay in communicating that human-human transmission was happening was a four week delay in other countries knowing to take appropriate precautions.

All in all, whether Hillary or Trump or Biden were President on December 31, 2019, Covid-19 would have come to the US, full force. I seriously doubt that Hillary or Biden would have taken it as seriously as Trump did. And neither Hillary nor Biden would have had the respectful relationship with pharmaceuticals companies, related businesses, and the military to accomplish anywhere close to what Trump has.

Why anyone with two or more functioning brain cells would think Covid could be kept out of the US when Flu Season has been an annual constant since at least 1918 is something I cannot understand.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »
In just those few seconds Biden told a huge whopper of a lie, claiming Trump had no plan for Covid-19.
I don't think Trump did all that badly at the debate, but he could have gone much, much farther. He could absolutely have laid the smackdown on Biden, leaving no doubt as to who the winner was, and the topic of COVID was an example. Biden said Trump needs to "get smart". Biden's plan is basically just Trump's plan, plus a mask mandate and lockdowns, right? If Trump has just said that (i.e. if my plan isn't smart, neither is yours) instead of digressing into discussion of Biden's academics, it could have been a knockout blow. Ditto the remark about ANTIFA not being an organization. They train together, hold meetings, communicate with encrypted text messaging, have uniforms, screen members, coordinate propaganda with certain media outlets, have branded merchandise, etc. What do they have to do to be considered an organization? Again, Trump could have devastated Biden on this.

It's just frustrating to watch people from our side squander the opportunities available to them. I hope Pence does a good job against Harris.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:40:52 PM by ADsOutburst »

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 10:41:09 PM »
He won't remember it anyway

LOL ---and THAT is a Hi5

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »
One is that the Trump Administration acted early (a week or less from when the world first heard of the Wuhan outbreak), in a coherent, planned way, with the plan being updated and adjusted as more was learned and events transpired.
That is not the accepted democrat-deep state way. Once they have a plan they stick to it, no matter if works or not or if the situation changes.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 08:10:22 AM »
It's just frustrating to watch people from our side squander the opportunities available to them. I hope Pence does a good job against Harris.

Pence had to come armed with and trained in clearly articulating facts and prepared to parry and attack snark and ignorance from Kammy. He should be especially be prepared for attacks from the Covid direction because one of the Dems' strategies is to attack strong point that their target might not have prepared to defend. Pence chaired the White House Corona Virus Task Force. He knows what was done, but he needs to be prepared to bury Kammy in facts if she tries that tack.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 08:21:52 AM »
That is not the accepted democrat-deep state way. Once they have a plan they stick to it, no matter if works or not or if the situation changes.

That flexibility reflects Trump's business (rather than government) background. As does Trump's approach in using the Defense Production Act of partnering rather than strong-arming. As does Trump's having good relations with and partnering with pharmaceuticals companies, medical supplies/equipment companies, related industries and logistics companies. As was Trump's using the military's logistics capabilities.

Hillary would have made all those companies and the military her whipping boys from Day 1, had she been elected. So even if she had taken Covid seriously as early as Trump did, her approach would have been too government-centric and essential relationships to any effort would have been poisoned by her years before. She would have started off self-hamstrung.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 10:07:10 AM »
And I will still maintain that Chris Wallace should have shut his partisan weasel mouth down.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »
But what else it did was give Trump the opportunity to rile up the Unendowed Boys. A call to violence. **** that shit...America doesn't need it.
It takes quite a lot of mental gymnastics to claim the president is so daft as to openly and publicly call people to violence.

Oh, and the Proud Boys thank Joe Biden for the free publicity he gave them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:31:41 PM by ADsOutburst »