Author Topic: Who lives here?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline djones520

Re: Who lives here?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »
Huh...  that's a lot of houses in the middle of frackin no where.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:26:17 PM »
I'm thinkin' Tahiti.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:36:43 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think Tahiti is in the Pacific.  James Cook sailed to the island to study a conjuction of planets for the Royal Astronomical Society and the spend the majority of his time in the Pacific.  His name is prominently featured in many areas of Australia.  He was murdered during his third voyage to Hawaii (he was the one that named them the Sandwich Islands -- he wasn't very imaginative).

For my money,  there's no more interesting character in 18th century English naval history to read a good book about.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:28:42 AM »
Tristan da Cunha....

(yes I did have to look that up)

Looks awesome.

Pity I can't buy it and convert it to my own personal empire.

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 06:53:04 AM »
Looks cool, aside from being on a volcano and all.    I'd love to own my own island.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:27:16 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think Tahiti is in the Pacific.  James Cook sailed to the island to study a conjuction of planets for the Royal Astronomical Society and the spend the majority of his time in the Pacific.  His name is prominently featured in many areas of Australia.  He was murdered during his third voyage to Hawaii (he was the one that named them the Sandwich Islands -- he wasn't very imaginative).

For my money,  there's no more interesting character in 18th century English naval history to read a good book about.

Pacific - yes, of course. Doh! The damned thing even said the South Atlantic.  :thatsright:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:27:53 PM »

Use alot of vasoline?

:tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 04:13:29 PM »

I dunno. After that many months eating ships bread (with weevil sauce) and rum, a sandwich is probably interesting enough to cause drooling and moaning.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
Hmmm. Great location. BUT. Is that an active volcano?!!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:57:30 PM »
I dunno. After that many months eating ships bread (with weevil sauce) and rum, a sandwich is probably interesting enough to cause drooling and moaning.

Oh yeah... weevil-ed hardtack and "fresh" water sitting in an open barrel with a layer of scum on the insides.  Yummy.

Those are the most interesting parts of the history.  The food was awful.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »
Hmmm. Great location. BUT. Is that an active volcano?!!

Not only active, in 1961 the entire population (all 300 or so) had to be evacuated to England for 2 years when it erupted!  After two years, almost all of them returned!  :o Yes... I was curious to learn more and just looked that up, pretty neat.