Author Topic: The Kitchen Herb That Protects Your Vision  (Read 10708 times)

Offline CG6468

The Kitchen Herb That Protects Your Vision
« on: April 28, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »
The Kitchen Herb That Protects Your Vision

The key to protecting your eyesight may just be in your kitchen. Or growing in your garden.

New research has found that a common herb contains a protective compound.  And it could help prevent age-related macular degeneration (AMD). AMD is the most common eye problem among people 50 and older.1It is also the leading cause of blindness.

The compound is carnosic acid. It produces antioxidant enzymes that lower free radicals and peroxides, preventing cellular damage. And a recent study in the Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2 shows just how powerful it is. Researchers tested it on retinal cells in mice damaged by toxic peroxides.  They did this to mimic AMD. Sure enough, carnosic acid protected the cells from further damage.

{snip}

And you’ll want to start using it to protect your eyes immediately. AMD usually starts with no symptoms. It progresses over time and can sometimes take years for you to begin noticing things going blurry. It develops from a lifetime of damage from the sun and various toxins to the center of the retina, called the macula./quote]

Now Eyes Unnerstand
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Dori

Re: The Kitchen Herb That Protects Your Vision
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
I like rosemary.  You can put it on vegetables and meat.  Not everyone likes it though.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline CG6468

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 03:44:33 PM »
I like rosemary.  You can put it on vegetables and meat.  Not everyone likes it though.

My wife sometimes uses it on chicken.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:24:37 PM »

Rosemary originates from pine-type plants/bushes. I love it, especially in a stew or even in a peasant-type bread. Roasted veggies with rosemary and all kinds of chicken -- all good.

But yeah, some people don't like it, but that leaves more for me.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.