Author Topic: Gave some Sanders supporters a civics lesson today....  (Read 622 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Gave some Sanders supporters a civics lesson today....
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:23:14 PM »
Moderateguy (539 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/1287592106

Gave some Sanders supporters a civics lesson today....
A few of us from the a local democratic organization helped out with a voter registration effort at a community college. It was three of us and about 16 college students (mostly ardent Sanders fans).

This is what I learned about what Sanders is going to do as President:

1. Issue an executive order making college free for all.
2. Issue another executive order forgiving all student loan debt.
3. Issue a third executive order changing the tax rate for billionaires to 90% AND reduce taxes to almost nothing for everyone else.

Needless to say what followed was a quick 20 min civics lesson on the distribution of powers. They were beyond shocked that he would need BOTH houses of congress to get any of this done. Furthermore, he would need to compromise to get the relevant bills passed and enacted into law-- the compromise might not look like anything resembling what his intentions were. And more importantly if there was no compromise from all sides NOTHING would change.

What bothered me the most was the shock and disappointment that most of these student felt. It was almost like a "Santa Claus isn't real" moment. A couple of student even articulated why bother voting then?

My take-away from this:

1. It seems a lot of people are caught up in the Sanders hype and have no idea how our government functions.
2. Even if Sanders were to become President- we would lose these young people starting 2022 when Sanders can't wave a magic wand and make all their wishes come true.
3. How this is like some Trump voters who were promised something that never materialized.

This has me worried for our future. It seems that there will be a significant percentage of the electorate that will get disappointed/disillusioned and stop participating in our political process.

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
MICHAEL BLOOMBERG

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

RandiFan1290 (5,289 posts)

3. Cool story, bro. nt

BERNIE SANDERS

dumptrump1 (69 posts)

5. #2 only requires an executive order

The dept of education has full control over what happens with the loans issued by them.

MICHAEL BLOOMBERG

Cuthbert Allgood (2,765 posts)

6. #theneveryonestoodupandclapped

BERNIE SANDERS

Star Member Bradshaw3 (3,939 posts)

8. I bet there is another side to the story

Sorry but a candidate who has misleading ads, at the least "mischaracterizes" his past statements and actions, and isn't transparent about his past business dealings that includes numerous lawsuits isn't anyone to believe. One of his supporters claiming to have "schooled" them pesky yunguns is not only showing a lot of arrogance but a good reason to question this version of things.

ELIZABETH WARREN

Nanjeanne (3,932 posts)

11. So cool that you could educate those dummies. Maybe we should only let the landed gentry vote.

BERNIE SANDERS

Star Member SCantiGOP (9,407 posts)

15. What I learned from a valuable civics lesson

1. Poster signs up a week ago but already has 3 posts removed
2. Lectures DU as he lectured a bunch of supposed community college students
3. Supports Bloomberg

uh, no thanks.

BERNIE SANDERS

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

LaurenOlimina (377 posts)

28. Ok Bloomer

PETE BUTTIGIEG

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Gave some Sanders supporters a civics lesson today....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:15:36 AM »
I've often wondered about these voter registration drives the left is always pushing.  If a conservative leaning person approaches them to register to vote, do they allow that person to register as a Republican or do they tell him to go away as they are only taking registrations for democrat party voters.

Or do they hound the conservative about his political leanings and lecture. cajole and try to shame the person into registering as a democrat.

Or do they hand out voter registration forms remarked for the democrat party and hope conservatives dont notice the party affiliation

Or do they collect the completed registration form, but "accidentally lose" any form that isn't for the democrat party.

Personally,  I think if you are too lazy, or too uninformed on the process, or too unmotivated to register yourself to vote without guidance from a party hack, you probably shouldn't be voting and making decisions on things that affect people's lives.  Same goes for ballot harvesting.   If you cant take the initiative to cast your ballot yourself and instead give your ballot to a total stranger trusting them to handle and deliver it properly,  then you should sit the election out.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:15:18 AM »
I've often wondered about these voter registration drives the left is always pushing.  If a conservative leaning person approaches them to register to vote, do they allow that person to register as a Republican or do they tell him to go away as they are only taking registrations for democrat party voters...

There have been cases where it was claimed that the Democrats threw away registrations for Republicans.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »
Obama: "I have a phone and a pen!" - DU-Morons cheer!

The Bern: "I have a phone and a pen!" - DU-Morons: "It doesn't work that way."

:lmao:  :rotf:  :lmao:  :rotf:  :lmao:  :rotf:  :lmao:  :rotf:  :lmao:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.