Author Topic: An encounter with a Trump supporter  (Read 511 times)

Offline CC27

An encounter with a Trump supporter
« on: February 26, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »
PJMcK (11,762 posts)

An encounter with a Trump supporter

Last weekend, I went to a Long Island golf course that I used to belong to. I wanted to donate a set of clubs to their First Tee Program which provides encouragement for underprivileged kids to learn the game. While I was there, I ran into a number of old golfing buddies including a pro with whom I had becomes close friends with over the years. He taught my son how to play and he has invited me to play in several Pro-Ams, a couple of which we won.

As we were chatting, he began to make political comments. In itself, this was unusual. There's an unwritten rule of etiquette that the two things you never talk about at the golf course are religion and politics. I chose to say nothing but he went on to praise all of the great accomplishments Trump has brought to the U.S. After a couple of minutes, I asked him where he gets his news information. Unsurprisingly, he said he watches Fox News. His comments illustrated that he was somewhat disconnected from reality. He also went on to praise Trump's golf courses. I played three of his courses before he announced his candidacy: they suck and they're ridiculously expensive.

My response to his comments was three-fold. First, I told him that Fox "News" had admitted in court that they were not a news organization but an entertainment outlet. Second, I told him that he was foolish to vote as if he were in the 1% when he's nowhere near that level of wealth. I reminded him that he could not have afforded his double-knee replacement were he not covered by the ACA, also known as Obamacare, (I wanted to needle him a little). Lastly, I scolded him for violating the unwritten rule of etiquette regarding religion and politics.

He responded by saying he was surprised to learn that I was a liberal! He also apologized for bringing up politics.

I like this man and he's been very generous with his golf talents. But it baffled me to see and hear him spouting such utter bullshit and assume that I would be in complete agreement with him.

It's become increasingly clear to me that there are 40% of Americans who are clueless, stupid and/or evil. As a country, we're in for a rougher ride, I'm afraid.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213018093

Cool story bro.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: An encounter with a Trump supporter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 08:14:59 AM »
My response to his comments was three-fold. First, I told him that Fox "News" had admitted in court that they were not a news organization but an entertainment outlet.
:bs:
Even Snopes and Politifact say that is BS.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jan/16/facebook-posts/post-fox-news-changing-entertainment-spun-old-sati/
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 08:27:01 AM »
I wanted to donate a set of clubs to their First Tee Program which provides encouragement for underprivileged kids to learn the game.

The DUmmy couldn't resist doing a little virtue signaling while spinning this bouncy...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 08:28:25 AM »
1/2 bong deduction for not mentioning the truck nuts on the Trump humpers golf cart.  :stoner:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:30:39 AM »
There's an unwritten rule of etiquette that the two things you never talk about at the golf course are religion and politics.

You're clearly not a golfer.  So just feel a chill up your leg by donating 25 year old Titleist irons and your persimmon woods to virtue signal.  And work on a better bouncy next time.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:35:54 AM »
As we were chatting, he began to make political comments. In itself, this was unusual. There's an unwritten rule of etiquette that the two things you never talk about at the golf course are religion and politics. I chose to say nothing but he went on to praise all of the great accomplishments Trump has brought to the U.S. After a couple of minutes, I asked him where he gets his news information. Unsurprisingly, he said hePulls them out of his ass, just like all the liberals and progressives who watch the MSM and post at the dump.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :-) :-) :-) :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 01:52:28 PM »
While I was there, I ran into a number of old golfing buddies including a pro with whom I had becomes close friends with over the years. He taught my son how to play and he has invited me to play in several Pro-Ams, a couple of which we won.

Ok Boomer.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 02:21:32 PM »
I wanted to donate a set of clubs to their First Tee Program

Because I couldn't find anyone to take them for free.

I went to a community garage sale last saturday at the community around the golf course. every house had at least 1 set of clubs for sale. giving away old clube is like trying to give away an STD!

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!