Author Topic: If Ebola spreads in the US, don't blame Obama; blame YOUR RACISM!  (Read 3023 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Cali_Democrat (22,132 posts)

Was Thomas Duncan Initially Turned Away From The Hospital Because He's Black And Uninsured?

Where Ebola Meets Concerns Over Race, Class and the Uninsured

As the condition of patient Thomas Eric Duncan in Dallas deteriorates, serious questions are being raised about why he was turned away from a hospital after his initial complaints of illness.

BY: CHARLES D. ELLISON
Posted: Oct. 6 2014 3:00 AM

It’s a question that’s left everyone scratching their heads: How does a fully equipped hospital send an Ebola-infected man home—right after he arrived from West Africa and complained about being sick?

Some observers and public health experts are beginning to wonder if there’s an elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about: race and the politics of health insurance. Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, the private medical campus where Thomas Eric Duncan is currently under care and isolation, still can’t explain exactly how medical staff let the 42-year-old Liberian national go home with useless antibiotics. Hospital officials have only said that Duncan’s travel history wasn’t “communicated,” and now mainstream media reports are stuck on everything from malfunctions in Presbyterian hospital’s electronic record system to Duncan being dishonest about the level of his Ebola exposure when he left Liberia.

But few want to touch the pointy eggshells of race and class in the frantic discussion over Ebola as it enters the United States. Did Duncan get initially turned away because he is black and, possibly, uninsured?

Would it have been different if Duncan had been white and insured?

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/10/where_ebola_meets_concerns_over_race_class_and_the_uninsured.html

Voice for Peace (11,311 posts)

15. Maybe a mix of both: an automatic assumption about the man, made at an unconscious level,

leads to paying him less attention, spending less time, listening
less closely, and this is not at all a leap. This is systemic
racism/classism, not overtly discriminatory but built in.

Poor, black, probably uninsured, maybe poor English, person
is unimportant in the big greedy scheme, and that's the way
it is. Somebody who doesn't matter very much, by habit
of society.

Warpy (78,874 posts)

20. Being uninsured works like magic to keep you from being admitted

no matter what contagious and loathsome disease you have. I was uninsured for nearly 30 years and that's how it worked for me.

Remember Perry is defending Texas from the evil of giving people access to healthcare. Without the Medicaid expansion, hospitals are having to eat a lot of uncollectable bills.

You bet your ass he was sent home with what the docs knew were useless antibiotics because he was uninsured. That's the way the system doesn't work for anybody but the fat cats at the top in Texas.

Lurker Deluxe (496 posts)

43. Damn ...

How many "contagious and loathsome diseases" did you have where you got sent home from a hospital with no care ... in that thirty year span.

:rofl:

I know here in Texas we have like ... I dunno, two level one trauma centers within the city limits and one down on Galveston Island. I've been to Ben Taub one time when a friend tried to kill himself and shot himself in the head and that is where he went. Insurance was not something that was even mentioned until after he was helped.

You can bitch about alot (like everyone does, everyday) but to start saying that Texas has shitty medial facilities and does not take care of emergencies well is pretty ****ed up. Texas has a bunghole load of medical teaching facilities and hospitals to back them up, I have never known someone to go to either Ben Taub or Memorial Hermann with any type of injury and be turned away.

Sometimes a **** up is just that ... how do you even know what the race of the attending was? Or the nurse, admitting administrator?

FFS!

Dreamer Tatum (9,025 posts)

11. If urban Texas ERs turned away people because they're black

it would have come up by now.

Unless someone has actual data or an utterly convincing counterfactual, this is nothing more than race-baiting.

Race-baiting is the go-to method of covering Obama's ass.

Which leads me to believe there is something within Obama's purview that he fumbled -- yet again -- and this is part of a pre-emptive, blame-shifting ass-covering.

Spitfire of ATJ (17,848 posts)

14. White America will only care when a 19 year old blonde girl gets it.

16. It's all over the news, all day.

Not seeing where on earth you can get your claim from.

Spitfire of ATJ (17,848 posts)

22. Observation.

24. Where is this White America you speak of, anyway? nt

JDPriestly (45,573 posts)

17. The answer is "yes." In France, he would have been treated no matter where he came from,

no matter how much money he could pay, no matter whether he was insured. We claim to have the best medical system in the world.

No matter what the answer to these questions about Duncan are, we do not have a medical system good enough to protect public health, that is your health, my health, our children's health, if these questions can be raised at all.

21. And in France they'd have known he had Ebola right away

because FRANCE.

Only here can someone indict an entire healthcare system because a patient withheld a truth that
was in his and everyone else's interest that he disclose.

But hey, let's not just make this thread an attack on make-believe racism.

LET'S ALSO MAKE IT ABOUT CAPITALISM!!!

Scuba (40,419 posts)

25. Same issue as sick days for food service workers. We either care about our collective health ...

... or we care about maximizing profits for insurance, drug and other medical industry corporations while keeping taxes low on the wealthy. These are the choices we make.

I think the national Democratic Party is remiss for not making our collective health a major plank in the Party's platform. It should start with Medicare for All, including dental, optical, hearing aids and mental health services. Add to that paid sick time, better oversight of the healthcare industry, better preparedness for disasters (including epidemics), and better training for our healthcare professionals.

And yes, we can afford it. 

snooper2 (21,827 posts)

33. if he was "turned away" how did he get the useless antibiotics?

^ freeper troll?

Liberal_Stalwart71 (16,631 posts)

55. Race and not having insurance are highly correlated. So, yes is my answer.

They LOVE racism.

Their biggest fear is a world without racism.

riqster (11,086 posts)

51. Possible. Until Repubs stop blocking access to care, such questions will be valid.

My son died because an insurer refused coverage. And he is not the only one.

http://bluntandcranky.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/two-years-ago-today-americas-profit-driven-health-care-system-killed-my-only-son-warning-profanity/

The ACA helped him stay alive a bit longer, and bless President Obama for that:

http://bluntandcranky.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/if-not-for-obamacare-my-son-would-have-died-even-sooner/

But the end result must be the severance of profit from health care: because as long as greedy bastards profit by denying care, people will suffer.

KamaAina (54,438 posts)

71. Wouldn't it suck if that were the case

and an epidemic started here because of it?

Suck?

You racist ****s would be dancing with delight.

jonjensen (120 posts)

75. Perry turns down obama care money what else can hospitals do to avoid bankruptcy

He was not the only one turned out by texas hospitals after gov. perry refused medicade money. Texas hospitals that treat uninsured are going bankrupt!

Sancho (2,987 posts)

78. That's what I thought from the beginning...

he was never diagnosed. They didn't spend a second with him...probably have a policy to hand anyone without insurance a script and send them out the door.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025627980
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: If Ebola spreads in the US, don't blame Obama; blame YOUR RACISM!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »

DUmmies, I know exactly what's wrong with that picture, Obama's economic policies.

Stop blaming the 1% "boogeyman".

:bird:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:33:09 PM »
So Duncan wasn't immediately diagnosed with ebola and treated because of racism and evil capitalism.

Whatever you say, primitives.  :mental:

Beats thinking, I guess.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
I don't think a president in the history of this country has had so many people willing to carry his water and make excuses for him.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline dixierose

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »
If he had been kept there in isolation and ended up not having the virus, the DUmmies would be hollering racism. There's no winning with them.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »

DUmmies, I know exactly what's wrong with that picture, Obama's economic policies.

Stop blaming the 1% "boogeyman".

:bird:

Yet these same DUmmies seem to be unable to 'connect the dots' - The reason that stock investors are fat with earnings is because Obama's Ministry of Stash Enhancement keeps pumping money into the markets.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
It had nothing to do with racism. Yes, Thomas Duncan should of been admitted immediately after the first visit to the hospital. Hs second visit had him vomiting while taken on ambulance and contact with other people. Stupidest post in a while.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure Ebola is caused by Ebonics.

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
These DUmpasses make me want to vomit.  They all need to be shipped off to a real island.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Delmar

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
Mon Oct 6, 2014, 12:56 PM
Star Member Cali_Democrat (22,143 posts)

Was Thomas Duncan Initially Turned Away From The Hospital Because He's Black And Uninsured?
But few want to touch the pointy eggshells of race and class in the frantic discussion over Ebola as it enters the United States. Did Duncan get initially turned away because he is black and, possibly, uninsured?

So, he might have insurance but the DUmmies assume that he doesn't since he's black.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 12:29:55 AM »
I would expect nothing less from those who worship Margaret Sanger. She hated black people as well.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
These DUmpasses make me want to vomit.  They all need to be shipped off to a real island.

The more malaria infested, the better. :fuelfire:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »
The more malaria infested, the better. :fuelfire:

Some time during the second term of George Bush, the United Nations released a report that named certain environmentalists as the biggest mass-murderers of the twentieth century; those who'd gotten DDT banned worldwide.

Bigger mass-murderers than the usual gang of suspects.

Apparently worldwide deaths from malaria the latter half of the past century far exceeded what Mao, Stalin, Lenin, Hitler, et al, had achieved.

The report was soon thereafter pulled and toned down a little bit, to politically-correctize it--although its basic premise remained the same; the numbers of those who'd died from malaria.

But as we're talking mostly black victims, and as Democrats, liberals, and primitives don't like black people, well, nobody cares.....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:21:48 AM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 05:58:41 AM »
I would expect nothing less from those who worship Margaret Sanger. She hated black people as well.

Don't forget "Silent Spring". It killed a majority of minorities.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 07:10:59 AM »
riqster (11,086 posts)

51. Possible. Until Repubs stop blocking access to care, such questions will be valid.

My son died because an insurer refused coverage. And he is not the only one.

http://bluntandcranky.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/two-years-ago-today-americas-profit-driven-health-care-system-killed-my-only-son-warning-profanity/

The ACA helped him stay alive a bit longer, and bless President Obama for that:

http://bluntandcranky.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/if-not-for-obamacare-my-son-would-have-died-even-sooner/

But the end result must be the severance of profit from health care: because as long as greedy bastards profit by denying care, people will suffer.

Huh.  Two railing blog posts on your obscure blog (radical centrist? uh-huh ) about an unnamed son with an unnamed disease.  Almost like it was a  :bouncy: , but that couldn't possibly be, could it..... 

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:23:31 AM »
They have already said that the DR that saw him was not given that tidbit of info about Africa.  Ebola presents itself like influenza :thatsright:

Symptoms show up 2 to 21 days after infection and usually include:
    High fever.
    Headache.
    Joint and muscle aches.
    Sore throat.
    Weakness.
    Stomach pain.
    Lack of appetite.

Why must EVERYTHING be about race?  I bet my left teat that if he dies they are gonna march the streets because the white victims lived. :-)

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »
Warpy (78,874 posts)

20. Being uninsured works like magic to keep you from being admitted

no matter what contagious and loathsome disease you have. I was uninsured for nearly 30 years and that's how it worked for me.

and yet you lived......... ::)

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:11 AM »
They have already said that the DR that saw him was not given that tidbit of info about Africa.  Ebola presents itself like influenza :thatsright:

Symptoms show up 2 to 21 days after infection and usually include:
    High fever.
    Headache.
    Joint and muscle aches.
    Sore throat.
    Weakness.
    Stomach pain.

Lack of appetite.
Why must EVERYTHING be about race?  I bet my left teat that if he dies they are gonna march the streets because the white victims lived. :-)
I must have Ebola because I have all those symptoms but lack of appetite.....and I thought it was just old age.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:59 AM »
and yet you lived......... ::)

And alas how unfortunate for the rest of humanity.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »
I must have Ebola because I have all those symptoms but lack of appetite.....and I thought it was just old age.

It is, you are  :old:

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 08:24:43 AM »
It is, you are  :old:
That's what they tell me......but here's a question for you.

When you're young they tell you, "You can't do that. You're not old enough."

When you're grown up they tell you, "You can't do that. You're to old."

What is the right age?

I must have shot right past it.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 08:30:05 AM »
DU Mode:

Was it good?  Yes - Thank Lord Obama, he gets credit.  No - Your fault, you racist teabagger bastards...also probably Bush's fault too.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »
Huh.  Two railing blog posts on your obscure blog (radical centrist? uh-huh ) about an unnamed son with an unnamed disease.  Almost like it was a  :bouncy: , but that couldn't possibly be, could it.....

When I got out of bed this morning it was much like getting out of the Way Back Machine.    Dreams you know, where we spend 1/3 of our lives in a state of non reality.

We spend a large part of our life zonked out to the world while our brain keeps trying to gather up the memories of sigh, sound, smell,  feelings of love, hate, fear and keep us sane.   Try going 4 days without sleep, by the 5 or 6 day one is a raving lunatic.

My dream that is slipping away so quickly has to be written down.

My small elephant about the size of a pony was dancing about wearing a red T shirt with the written words-----1975 AIDS beginning. On the other side of the room rats were running about wearing their T shirts  with Ebola 2007.  Behind  them came the Mice with tiny little shirts with 3-4 E numbered diseases that kill our youngsters.

When fully awake I decided to compare the two diseases that took over the world that came out of Africa. First came what I remembered of the total confusion about AIDS, same thing said by the Government and the so called medical experts at the time that did not have a clue as to what they were dealing with.  I dug up some old press releases on AIDS and was not that surprised to find that if I were to remove the AIDS disease and replace with  Ebola, almost word for word what was put out 30+ years ago to calm the public is the exact thing now put out by the CDC and Scientists that have no idea what they are dealing with. 

Possibility's --------   Is Ebola a  mutation of AIDS ?

Will our scientist  community and the PC government except the wrath of the Gay community if found true??

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
I have never seen a freak show the likes of the DUmp.
How so many can collectively fabricate something out of thin air and then convince themselves it is true is beyond me.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »
How so many can collectively fabricate something out of thin air and then convince themselves it is true is beyond me.

Oh, it's easy enough, if one's a primitive.

But if one's a thinking human being, no.
apres moi, le deluge