Author Topic: NADZ "I thought about being a teacher..."  (Read 391 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
NADZ "I thought about being a teacher..."
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
Ah.... HELLZ NO!!!!

nadinbrzezinski (126,135 posts) http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023696333

I have considered teaching, but...

Even applied to a few adjunct positions. But we realize it will be for satisfaction, and extra spending money. The pay is horrendous. When Cali raises the minimum, McDonald's will pay better, I wish I were kidding.

We as a society speak a good game on education, but words don't feed people, nor do they keep a roof over their head. This is not just this Catholic university. It is all over, state schools, like my Alma Mater, treat adjuncts like cheap, non-organized labor, emphasis on cheap. So does the Catholic university up the hill, the UC school, and the for profits. In fact, the for profits prefer adjuncts to tenure.

The Junior Colleges have a majority adjunct staff, again they prefer it. It's cheaper.

So the end result is that good people do it as a hobby only if they can afford it. Not that all adjuncts are bad, but sooner or later you are reduced to young idealistic kids or old retirees.

So when we are told, Americans need to get a college education, I say make it so where your average prof, likely an adjunct, will get medical, dental, and at least clear 30K a year.

Locally our college profs are on food stamps and medical, no choice.

Adjuncts make about half of the teaching staff nationwide. Colleges would prefer it if most undergrads were taught by adjuncts, and leave the "real profs" for upper division and graduate students, the latter are another source of cheap labor, and lab techs.

Good news, there is a union drive afoot. Increasingly corporatized colleges and universities will fight it. It is yet another opening front in the struggle of labor.

This is not just this horrific story

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=3694356

nadinbrzezinski (126,135 posts)
2. We need a union that will demand the pay of cops

And likely get half. A cop starts at $70.000 average.

Americans truly hate education. It's a cultural thing. It's ingrained, and tenured track also see the adjuncts as lesser than.

I ****ing wish.

There are alot of great DUmpmonkiez commenting on the thread... but NADZ has most of them on ignore, so.... 
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: NADZ "I thought about being a teacher..."
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
National Averages
More than two-thirds of the officers at state and local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. were employed by police departments as of 2008, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. The average starting salaries of new police officers ranged from $26,600 to $49,500, with larger jurisdictions generally paying higher wages, the BJS says. The median annual wage earned by police officers as of 2011 was $54,230, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Salaries received by the bottom 10 percent of officers were $32,080 or less.

not like facts matter to NADZ... http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=forum&id=1014

That isn't starting pay, Nadz, that median annual wage...

The city or state where police officers work affects their wages. As of 2012, the starting salary for officers in the Miami Police Department was $45,929. New police officers working for the Los Angeles Police Department start out earning $46,583 with a high school diploma. Officers who had completed at least 60 credit hours of college and had at least a 2.0 grade point average started out earning $48,462 in Los Angeles. Those who had a bachelor's degree or more advanced degree earned $50,342. Starting salaries for police officers in Columbus, Ohio, was $43,430.

She is wrong... again... of course...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
It just never ends with the Blob. 

Never.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
It just never ends with the Blob. 

Never.

Thanks for that blast from the past, perfect.  :cheersmate:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.