Author Topic: The sad truth behind yesterday's unemployment numbers  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
The sad truth behind yesterday's unemployment numbers
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »
MadHound (33,702 posts)

The sad truth behind yesterday's unemployment numbers

"In reality, the jobs gained are a drop in the bucket compared to those lost during the recession. In the downturn that started in 2008, the US economy lost 8.9 million jobs, and if previous economic trends had continued, another 5.9 million jobs would have been added. Since the end of 2009, the economy has added only 5.7 million jobs.

At February’s rate of job growth, the US economy would not get back to the pre-recession level of unemployment until 2017.

By and large, the new jobs created pay much less than those lost during the crash. According to Friday’s figures, average hourly earnings for production workers have risen by only 2 percent over the past year, a figure wiped out by rising prices.

In addition to paying lower wages, an increasing number of new jobs are part time. Compared to late 2007, 5.8 million fewer people in the US are now working full time, but 2.8 million more are working part time. The share of people working part-time has grown from 16.9 percent at the start of the recession to 19.2 percent today."
http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/03/09/econ-m09.html

Ra Ra, unemployment dropped two tenths of one percent Meanwhile, with the Meatcleaver Austerity about to take hold, and Austerity Lite waiting in the wings, US workers are in for ever more hurt. But hey, the 1% can now party like it's 2007, the DOW hit a new record high

Reagan, and every single president since him have massaged the unemployment numbers to make things look as rosy as possible. This is but the latest example.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022481402

Why do you hate the black man in office?
Why can't you just swallow the propaganda coming from the government and praise 0bama for his brilliant economic policies?
Must be because he's black.

DCBob (14,426 posts)
6. No doubt many of these jobs are low paying and temporary.

For sure much of that is due to company greed but it also just going to take a long time to repair the economic mess the Bush era created.

Ohh I see it's still all Bush's fault.
If you compare the economies under Bush vs the economies under 0bama, the Bush years were very good.
Up until around 2007 when something happened, I forget what, but since that happened the economy has been in the shitter.

Egalitarian Thug (6,227 posts)
12. That's the BS that we are fed and expected to eat with a smile. The Main Street economy

could have been turned around and roaring better than it was in the 90s if there were any will to make it happen among those with the power to do so.

Lie #2: It took 8 years to create this mess. No, it took 90 days and out government's absolute refusal to enforce existing laws.

Lie #3: This is all bush & the republican's fault. No, it was a deliberate, bipartisan effort begun under reagan and accelerated to warp speed under Clinton with Democrats controlling Congress for most of that time. BushCo just pulled the trigger.

:mental:

quaker bill (7,010 posts)
4. While it is not all great news

Things around me in the real world are getting better. People are in fact going back to work. 6 or perhaps 8 weeks ago now, construction projects started again. People I speak to in this regard have said that "the lights just came back on".

There are lingering impacts and recovery is nowhere near complete, but something is suddenly happening out there, and the pace is increasing. I have heard different from the pundit and commentators, but I trust what I see on the ground.

What I see on the ground is a lot of people struggling to make it, every few weeks gas prices seem to rise, every trip to the grocery store costs more and you bring home less food, people dipping into their 401 k's to pay the mortgage on a house that is worth much less than what they owe. I see people working their butts off and if they were lucky enough to get a raise this year it was wiped out by the payroll taxes going back up. Now we have sequester and the 0bama administration hell bent on making people suffer all so he can help his party win a freaking election. Yep good times are here again.  :mental:

abelenkpe (6,815 posts)
11. Economy seemed to be doing well

But I know hundreds just recently laid off from three different studios. (Because y'know labor in other countries is far cheaper) Add in sequester layoffs and furloughs and wait a few months. The forced austerity will ripple out through local economies soon enough.

Thanks Republicans!

The republicans passed 2 bills to fix sequester and Harry Reid put them right in the trash can, you should thank Dingy Harry for all this.

You DUmmies voted for this, you got this so, do I even need to say it?  :-)

:ownit:

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Dori

Re: The sad truth behind yesterday's unemployment numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »

The republicans passed 2 bills to fix sequester and Harry Reid put them right in the trash can, you should thank Dingy Harry for all this.

Even if the Senate would have voted for it, do you think Obama would have signed it? 
He threatened to veto anything that changed the sequester a year ago.   They want to use  this sequester to beat up on the Republicans and reduce the military.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
Reagan, and every single president since him have massaged the unemployment numbers to make things look as rosy as possible. This is but the latest example.

Bullshiite. Who's administration of lying Marxists came up with dropping people off the "rolls" and making them unpersons?

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
Raise the minimum wage and watch those teen unemployment numbers go down <blink> <blink>

Also why have almost 90 million Americans given up on finding jobs? and why aren't they counted in the current unemployment numbers? and why is unemployment so high in the black community with a black man as President?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Dori

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 06:05:35 PM »
Raise the minimum wage and watch those teen unemployment numbers go down <blink> <blink>

Also why have almost 90 million Americans given up on finding jobs? and why aren't they counted in the current unemployment numbers? and why is unemployment so high in the black community with a black man as President?

The real number is over 14%.  Another one of the skewed employment numbers not talked about, is how many people are taking part time jobs.  Some people are even working three part time jobs because they can't find decent full time work. 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
Even if the Senate would have voted for it, do you think Obama would have signed it? 
He threatened to veto anything that changed the sequester a year ago.   They want to use  this sequester to beat up on the Republicans and reduce the military.

If Harry and the boys would have passed it 0bama may have signed it, if not it would have all been 0bama's fault.
The point was the repukes did their job then Harry Reid did nothing.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »

Ohh I see it's still all Bush's fault.
If you compare the economies under Bush vs the economies under 0bama, the Bush years were very good.
Up until around 2007 when something happened, I forget what, but since that happened the economy has been in the shitter

It's really amazing when you think about it. They constantly talk about how stupid Bush is, but he was able to supposedly steal two elections from the smartest people in the universe. Then, after 2007, he was able to outsmart a congress that was controlled in both houses by the Democrat Party and single-handedly destroy the economy. Now, after being out of office for over four years, he's still able to outsmart the DUmmie proclaimed smartest and greatest president in history in order to keep the economy in the shitter.

Bush is Superman.
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »
When you look hard at the numbers it shows a loss of 260, 000. FULL time jobs and a gain of 465, 000 part Time jobs.

Own it!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
DCBob (14,426 posts)
6. No doubt many of these jobs are low paying and temporary.

Which is a direct result of ... anyone .... anyone ... Beuller?

Obamacare comes to mind!  I just watched Stossel last night talking to a guy who owns 20 Subway shops.  He said he's spent a ton of money to consultants and accountants and they STILL can't tell him what all he's going to have to do to comply with Obamacare other than he needs to cut his workers hours to keep them from being full time.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »
No need to worry when you are:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »

I like your siggy  :rotf:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.