Author Topic: Greenbriar needs 2nd Job  (Read 5834 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Greenbriar needs 2nd Job
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
$7.00 an hour nets to around $6.00 an hour.

Too bad 70 thousand doesn't net around 60 thousand. Ahh well, so much for those tax cuts being only for the rich.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »
Just amazing...  They really think that working at a McDonalds is a 'career'.  Fast food has one of the highest turnover rates in any industry.  They are ALWAYS 'hiring'.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »
One would think an educated person, such as a teacher, who wanted a part-time job during the summer could do what someone else mentioned and taught summer school, or tutored people in summer school, or hell, get a job at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, or anywhere else. When I think of McDonalds, I think of 17 year-olds. Besides, why is she trying to take a job away from a 17 Y/O who's trying to earn money for the summer in this terrible * economy?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »
Someone help out an uneducated idiot here.  I have only taken 7 semester hours of college (formally, I have loads of hours for real estate) and I don't understand the comment about the 'Student Loans'.  She is saying she still has student loans to pay off but HER kid is fixing to go to college ..... shouldn't her student loans be paid off by now?!

Sorry, I don't know how all that works so I'm curious.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »
Someone help out an uneducated idiot here.  I have only taken 7 semester hours of college (formally, I have loads of hours for real estate) and I don't understand the comment about the 'Student Loans'.  She is saying she still has student loans to pay off but HER kid is fixing to go to college ..... shouldn't her student loans be paid off by now?!

KC

I never had student loans.  My college was paid for with grants and by my parents.  I would think that they should have been paid off by now.  To be financially wise, one wouldn't go on a cruise when they have that much debt, but then I think greenbriar has shown that she's not financially wise.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »
One would think an educated person, such as a teacher, who wanted a part-time job during the summer could do what someone else mentioned and taught summer school, or tutored people in summer school, or hell, get a job at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, or anywhere else. When I think of McDonalds, I think of 17 year-olds. Besides, why is she trying to take a job away from a 17 Y/O who's trying to earn money for the summer in this terrible * economy?

17 year-olds ?

I don't know about your neck of the woods,

But around here most Mickey D's employees have trouble

with the English language if you know what I mean.

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »

KC

I found that rather interesting too.

Way back when I went I took as little out in loans as I could and worked a couple of jobs to pay my way through.

My first priority after graduating was pay off the loans and get a clean start.  I guess she chose the 30 year payment plan.

25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 10:13:18 PM »
More MAth for DUmmies:

To pay off a $5,000, 17% credit card debt at $700 a month (apx. what you take home monthly at $7 an hour, 30 hours a week), it will take 17 MONTHS.  2 years tops barely addresses #1 and 2.

I like my math better.  My math essentially led to me being paid several hundred dollars to install my new Environmental Conditioning System last year.

Then again, I'm not a DUmmy.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »

KC

I found that rather interesting too.

Way back when I went I took as little out in loans as I could and worked a couple of jobs to pay my way through.

My first priority after graduating was pay off the loans and get a clean start.  I guess she chose the 30 year payment plan.

Well, it took me 10 years to pay off my student loans.  But pay them off I did and the ROI has been fantastic.  I went to Pepperdine, Malibu, so I am sure you can see how I needed a combination of loans, scholarships and CWS to get it done.  That combination, BTW, is a great incentive to graduate as quickly as possible.  I did it in 3-1/2 years by taking 2 summer trimesters.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
She makes this sound like some big sacrifice. She's a teacher and she's off all summer so it isn't like she's sacrificing much. I also suspect a bouncy here. Why didn't she volunteer to teach summer school? She would have made more than $7.00/hr teaching summer school.

Remember her big rant about Vast Teddy's "No Child Left Behind" thing that the primitives blame on George Bush?

That was about a month, six weeks, ago.

Throughout that entire rant, one sensed that the greedy thorn primitive had "flunked" some sort of work evaluation, and being a primitive, she of course was trying to blame her failure on George Bush.

that's like Ed McMahon blaming losing his house on the economy - but when you get to the meat of it, he spent more than he made, and admitted it. how that comes even near the economy problem is beyond me.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »
17 year-olds ?

I don't know about your neck of the woods,

But around here most Mickey D's employees have trouble

with the English language if you know what I mean.
I walked into a McDonald's (in Virginia, near the beltway) here last summer.  I tried to order a big Mac and a coke.  The mexican woman at the counter stared at me, then turned around and in Spanish said, "What does this gaucho want?"  Her problem was I speak Spanish.  I told her she was in the US and should learn German, then walked out.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Lauri

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »
Hey DUmmies!  Move to Shreveport, LA.  They have "Help Wanted" and "Employment Opportunities" signs everywhere.  Restaurants are especially understaffed and offering good money. 

my future son in law to be graduated with a degree in Engineering (structural) and a minor in math. He also has about 12 years of actual experience in farming (his family does wheat) and 4 years in construction (he's about to be 26) ... he's got more job offers in Seattle than he can afford to drive to for the interviews right now.

here's my advice DUmmies: get a degree that's actually worth something in ANY economy. another teacher is not something this country needs.

as for Greenbriar 'taking' anyone's job at McDonald's; what utter horse poo. that is not a job that anyone is using to feed a family and pay a mortgage on. its a teenage kid's job. heck, i dont know many 20something kids who work fast food these days. they all work retail or restraunts where they can make tips.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 10:40:35 PM »
he's got more job offers in Seattle than he can afford to drive to for the interviews right now.

See?  This * economy is even hurting the people that would otherwise be able to get a job!!!  DAMN YOU BUSH!!!

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »

KC

could be that she went back to school later in life and went on the 10-15 year plan to repay them.

have you heard Michelle Obama stating that her and Barack just recently paid off their student loans? Granted, I think they are both lawyers, or he is. But they are in their mid 40s now .. or it was just a bunch of junk, to make the little people think Barak and Michelle feel their pain.  :whatever:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 10:58:55 PM »
he's got more job offers in Seattle than he can afford to drive to for the interviews right now.

See?  This * economy is even hurting the people that would otherwise be able to get a job!!!  DAMN YOU BUSH!!!

well, let me be clear - he lives 2.5 hours away in Eastern Washington :-)

and he is helping his dad get the equipment ready for harvest, which he wont be around to help with this summer.

all that is to say, he isnt worried about getting a job at all. he is just hoping he has enough time to help his dad before he has to report into his career starting. his dad already has contracts for harvesting all the wheat (its all pre-sold i assume) and they have too much work this year.

apparently, some people look way down the road and can see that even in a down shifting economy, people still need certain things (like wheat and structural engineering) and avail themselves of the opportunities. kinda funny how that seems to work..

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 01:13:04 AM »
$7.00 an hour nets to around $6.00 an hour.

Too bad 70 thousand doesn't net around 60 thousand. Ahh well, so much for those tax cuts being only for the rich.

No shit.

On top of the fact if a single person with a kid or two would also get Earned Income Credit....

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 01:16:37 AM »

Some of those places wont hire you if they think you won't stick around past the summer....

McDonalds wouldn't be bad for her...someone has to babysit the teenagers, and being a teacher that should be a plus...

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 05:22:30 AM »

here's my advice DUmmies: get a degree that's actually worth something in ANY economy. another teacher is not something this country needs.

Not true. There's a huge demand for teachers of math, science, and special ed. What this country does NOT need is another moonbat history or English teacher.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
Some school systems have cancelled summer sessions this year due to budget shortfalls. Ours did. It's possible that there are no summer teaching jobs. But, I suspect that she's not wanted as a summer teacher. I bet her employer has a "thanks, but no thanks" stance on her.

I love that they are crucifying her for taking a second job. LOL! And it's not like she's kneecapping poor people to take this Mickey D's job away from them. That would assume they are lining up and begging the managers for positions.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »

could be that she went back to school later in life and went on the 10-15 year plan to repay them.

True.

At least she is paying them.....allot of people don't. That is why the DUmmies are really mad at her.....

I know people that have piled on the loans and played allot of games...instead of taking the time to apply for scholarships, it becomes easier (especially with advanced degrees) to simply get the loan...often they will sign up for full time, get the money then drop a couple classes....which just sets up the train wreck later in life.

My last girlfriend of a few too many years took a job one semester before she would of had her masters....she owes 64k in student loans.....she just deferred for another three years.....the payment will be around 600 for 20 or 25 years......I am pretty happy to call her my ex.....

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »
  Why would a blind man want to go on a cruise?

The motion of the ocean in the cabin?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »
As usual, DUmmies stumble into a truth but not for the reasons they think -

This year, it’s harder than ever for teens to find a summer job. Researchers at Northeastern University described summer 2007 as “the worst in post-World War II history” for teen summer employment, and those same researchers say that 2008 is poised to be “even worse.”

According to their data, only about one-third of Americans 16 to 19 years old will have a job this summer, and vulnerable low-income and minority teens are going to fare even worse.

The percentage of teens classified as “unemployed” — those who are actively seeking a job but can’t get one — is more than three times higher than the national unemployment rate, according to the most recent Department of Labor statistics.

One of the prime reasons for this drastic employment drought is the mandated wage hikes that policymakers have forced down the throats of local businesses. Economic research has shown time and again that increasing the minimum wage destroys jobs for low-skilled workers while doing little to address poverty.

According to economist David Neumark of the University of California at Irvine, for every 10 percent increase in the minimum wage, employment for high school dropouts and young black adults and teenagers falls by 8.5 percent. In the past 11 months alone, the United States’ minimum wage has increased by more than twice that amount.

So it should be no surprise to see teen jobs disappearing or to hear bleak testimony from employers across the country that make these hiring decisions.

SNIP

You don’t need a business degree to understand why employers are making these cuts. The classic summer jobs — cashier, waiter, grocery clerk — can help an employer with increased service or make up for full-time employees who take vacations.

When the minimum wage gets boosted, however, employers cut down on hiring teens who typically fill lower-priority slots. Most of the work still gets done, but customers may get stuck standing in longer lines, and teens suffer because they’ve been priced out of work.

There’s no end to the economic data that confirm these common-sense observations. Research from the University of Georgia, the University of Connecticut and Cornell University indicates that increasing the minimum wage causes four times more job loss for employees without a high school diploma than it does for the general population.

Furthermore, minimum wage hikes don’t effectively target the people who are typically portrayed as the key beneficiaries — low-income adults raising kids. According to U.S. Census Bureau data, just 14 percent of those who benefited from the most recent federal minimum wage hike are sole earners in families with children.

A summer job for a teen is much more than a paycheck: It’s a chance to gain important skills, increase one’s value to future employers and — just as importantly — learn what it’s like to have a job! But ill-advised policymakers are blinded by the basement salary figure instead of looking at the big picture.

Mandated wage hikes have negative consequences that too many politicians are ignoring. Hopefully some of them will discover the truth when they return home this summer to find their teenage children stuck languishing on the couch.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1431559~Kristen_Lopez_Eastlick__Dude__where_s_my_summer_job_.html

Oh to have a mole to post that.  :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »
  Why would a blind man want to go on a cruise?

The motion of the ocean in the cabin?

If so, it wasn't with greenturd.  She fell in "love" with another man on that cruise...remember?

She was whining that her husband wanted to get amorous on the cruise  before they went so the reality is that she is just a user.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »
What's even more puzzling is the other night during a thunderstorm she was posting  about her husband being late getting home and them being alone.

Her legally blind husband DRIVES ?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »
Legally blind is 20/200, which is the second row of big letters on the eye chart.  I can get my 20/200 left eye corrected to 20/60.  Might be able to get 20/40 if I have a cataract replacement done. 

I think gb is just being a petty bitch.