Author Topic: Greenbriar needs 2nd Job  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Greenbriar needs 2nd Job
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:53:41 PM »
greenbriar  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Sat Jun-07-08 07:40 PM
Original message
I am going to take a 2nd job. I am a teacher and am going to work at McDonalds

part time 7 bucks an hour 30 hours a week

going to pay off some bills

1st

pay off our cruise...used the stimulus check 1500 for down payment June 2009

2nd pay off my one credit card

3rd pay off hubbys one credit card

4th pay off a consolidation loan

5th pay off 2nd mortgage

will leave first mortgage and student loans

2 years tops

Skittles  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 07:45 PM
Response to Original message
1. my dad worked part time at McDonalds

when he was a meteorologist sergeant in the Air Force supporting six kids

yellowdogintexas Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Sat Jun-07-08 07:47 PM
2. you won't be the first teacher to do this or the last

One of my teachers worked weekends and summers in a local dept store
I have known lots of teachers who sold Tupperware or Mary Kay or other such things as second jobs

if you don't teach in summer you can work 40 hours if you want to.

Skink (1000+ posts)
Sat Jun-07-08 07:49 PM
3. Free egg Mcmuffins

tammywammy Donating Member (1000+ posts)
Sat Jun-07-08 07:50 PM
4. Well, if I was you

I would have used my stimulus check to payoff some of that credit card debt first, before planning another expensive vacation.

:-) :-) :-)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Miss Mia

Re: Greenbriar needs 2nd Job
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:59:21 PM »
There's more!

greenbriar  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 07:53 PM
Response to Reply #4
5. naw

I live for cruising

the stimulus check paid for 1/2 of the trip

and it will be our daughters grad from HS trip...our last as a family probably

since she will be going to college and starting a new life

Tansy_Gold  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 07:54 PM
6. I was offered a first job at less than that

so you won't get any sympathy from me.

Maybe you should have used that "stimulus" check to pay down a few bills instead of making a "down payment" on a cruise.

Credit cards? 2nd mortgage? Consolidation loan? If you don't get your spending habits under control, your "2 years tops" will end up being. . . . a whole lot longer.

Tansy Gold, who got $0 in her stimulus check

greenbriar  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 07:55 PM
Response to Reply #6
8. no need to be nasty...we don't need the 2nd job I want the second job

my spending is fine

our finances are fine

I am doing this to speed up payoff

the combined credit card total for both is less than 5 grand

I am not asking for sympathy

No, sorry hon, your finances aren't fine.  You're having to take a 2nd job to pay off shit, you shouldn't have probably bought anyways.

And yes, you are indeed asking for sympathy.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:04:38 PM »
I was hoping to see if the misgynaecological Kansas school teacher, "Proud2BLib," had shown up at this bonfire, to castigate George Bush for "low" teaching salaries that compels her fellow Kansas school teacher (but remember, the former lives near Kansas City, while the latter lives near Wichita) to take such a second job.

Alas she's not there yet, but the warped primitive showed up.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »
I was hoping to see if the misgynaecological Kansas school teacher, "Proud2BLib," had shown up at this bonfire, to castigate George Bush for "low" teaching salaries that compels her fellow Kansas school teacher (but remember, the former lives near Kansas City, while the latter lives near Wichita) to take such a second job.

Alas she's not there yet, but the warped primitive showed up.

I caught it while it was still a fresh thread Frank.

ahh, she's edited her OP now to include

I am NOT looking for sympathy

I am not struggling in our monthly finances...I am just going to make it so that we can cruise every year and do more things we want.

Now I expect this to die.  She wanted to get sympathy for having to take a 2nd job, but then a few posters ( :-)) called her out on taking a cruise when she should be paying off her credit card debt.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:11:51 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:50:59 PM »
Let's see here ---

$1500 stimulus check paid for 1/2 the cruise.  We can assume they need/want to use a second job to pay off what we can presume to be the second $1500.  $7.00 an hour nets to around $6.00 an hour.  At 30 hours a week, that is 9-10 weeks to pay off that one trip.  The numbers get worse the more real-life assumptions you throw in.

And that means for 9 weeks you will be a back in the morning and a shape coming to bed at night.

I like my way better: save money, then spend it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:53:17 PM by freedumb2003 »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »
Thought she was getting divorced?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »
More MAth for DUmmies:

To pay off a $5,000, 17% credit card debt at $700 a month (apx. what you take home monthly at $7 an hour, 30 hours a week), it will take 17 MONTHS.  2 years tops barely addresses #1 and 2.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »

I think she prefers to bitch about her husband than actually leave him. 
Stink Eye

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »
More MAth for DUmmies:

To pay off a $5,000, 17% credit card debt at $700 a month (apx. what you take home monthly at $7 an hour, 30 hours a week), it will take 17 MONTHS.  2 years tops doesn't even address #1.

They could do it, but they'd have to cut way back and that means no more cruises. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:15:57 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:06:51 PM »
There is nothing about this persons life that is believable at this point.  :whatever:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »
I assume SoylentGreenbriar does not teach economics.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »
There is nothing about this persons life that is believable at this point.  :whatever:
I do believe we have another example of the DU "Stretchy" phenomenon.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
She makes this sound like some big sacrifice. She's a teacher and she's off all summer so it isn't like she's sacrificing much. I also suspect a bouncy here. Why didn't she volunteer to teach summer school? She would have made more than $7.00/hr teaching summer school.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »
She makes this sound like some big sacrifice. She's a teacher and she's off all summer so it isn't like she's sacrificing much. I also suspect a bouncy here. Why didn't she volunteer to teach summer school? She would have made more than $7.00/hr teaching summer school.

Remember her big rant about Vast Teddy's "No Child Left Behind" thing that the primitives blame on George Bush?

That was about a month, six weeks, ago.

Throughout that entire rant, one sensed that the greedy thorn primitive had "flunked" some sort of work evaluation, and being a primitive, she of course was trying to blame her failure on George Bush.

It's possible the greedy thorn primitive wanted to teach summer school--or maybe she's burned out, and didn't want to, who knows--but better teachers filled those slots.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »

Remember her big rant about Vast Teddy's "No Child Left Behind" thing that the primitives blame on George Bush?

Throughout that entire rant, one sensed that the greedy thorn primitive had "flunked" some sort of work evaluation, and being a primitive, she of course was trying to blame her failure on George Bush.

It's possible the greedy thorn primitive wanted to teach summer school--or maybe she's burned out, and didn't want to, who knows--but better teachers filled those slots.

Or the thermos filled with coffee and Brandy isn`t allowed. :-)

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't really expect, "Ok students, What would Pi divided by the square root of 12 and multiplied by 3 equal if Bush weren't elected?" to be following the educational standards.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't really expect, "Ok students, What would Pi divided by the square root of 12 and multiplied by 3 equal if Bush weren't elected?" to be following the educational standards.

DU Answer: I can't answer because the book was written in Florida.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 09:34:51 PM »

How did she manage to get two jobs in the horrible * economy?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »

DU Answer: I can't answer because the book was written in Florida.

Yeah, and what's with all these holes and Braille shit?  :lmao:

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »

It gets better yet.

Journalgrrl  Donating Member  (434 posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 10:39 PM
18. Though this actualy does piss me off ...

Edited on Sat Jun-07-08 10:40 PM by Journalgrrl
First - You are taking a job that should be for someone who needs it to feed their family, pay rent, etc...

Second - You have credit cards and mortgages, fine. But think about those who need the job because they will never have credit or be able to even keep enough money in a banking institution long enough to save anything...

Third, a Cruise, Are you kidding me? If you wanted to, you could have used at least part of that money to help someone out or donate to a local shelter. Instead you take a job you don't "need" to subsidize your own selfishness?

That chaps my hide, is all I am saying...

I worked three jobs last month, thought it could help with the cost of living that has gone from bad to worse in the past 6 mos. I was wrong - Got nothing better to show for it, because LIFE has sucked it from my hand before I could even see a difference. I am still looking for a more permanent third gig to juggle as I raise my 3 kids in a rental with housing asistance and struggle to just put food in the table, much less utilties.
Extras? gee, I bought a $8 camera to take pics of my kid's year end show at Kindergarten... but probably can't afford to develop them.

So you should keep your "I'm bored, I think I will steal a poor person's job" to yourself.
Have fun on your Cruise.

edit typos

LeftyMom  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 10:42 PM
Response to Reply #19
20. Have you seen the unemployment rate lately?

Yeah, it's kinda bullshit to take a second job for extras when a lot of people need a first for food and rent.

AND then it turns into a stretchy.

greenbriar  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 10:43 PM
Response to Reply #18
22. as for helping others out...we are letting someone live in our finished basement RENT FREE

and I cook for him

Two years ago, we had a family of 5 living with us because they got evicted and had NO WHERE else to go and a baby that was 1 month old

so don't preach to me about helping others

so sorry your life sucks

bicentennial_baby  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 11:15 PM
32. Upon reading this thread, I am disturbed that, in the current economic climate,

you would take a job that you don't need, to finance your consumption, when in all likelihood there are others that need that job much more than you do.

Ymmv.

kevinbgoode  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 11:41 PM
37. I'm still trying to get the first full-time job as I near completion of my degree

and the most awful thing that is surfacing is getting the very polite emails from colleges and universities that aren't rejecting my materials (after they solicited them) but that they have been told to freeze any new faculty positions that have not been hired due to budget woes.

Another DUmmie that got an advanced degree in some bullshit that can only be used in academia bicthing about not being able to get a job. :loser:

Fox Mulder  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jun-07-08 11:46 PM
38. I'm working a first job at a ****ing Wal-Mart...

Edited on Sat Jun-07-08 11:47 PM by Fox Mulder
just so I can pay my bills. :(

I can't find decent work within fifty miles of here.

:loser:
25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline stickyboot

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 09:39:20 AM »

I think she prefers to bitch about her husband than actually leave him. 

Isn't her husband legally blind also? Or was that a previous husband?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 09:53:07 AM »
LOL I wonder how many moles are in this thread???

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »
Hey DUmmies!  Move to Shreveport, LA.  They have "Help Wanted" and "Employment Opportunities" signs everywhere.  Restaurants are especially understaffed and offering good money. 

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
Wait a minute how can she be doing fine financially in this horrible * economy?

I also love the DUmmies claiming she stole the job at Mikey D's from someone else.

I am glad to see the plagiarizing primitive is doing something productive this summer assuming she really got the second job. Chances are she will get canned anyway after she rants to the first customer about how bad * is.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline stickyboot

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »
Let's see here ---

$1500 stimulus check paid for 1/2 the cruise.  We can assume they need/want to use a second job to pay off what we can presume to be the second $1500.  $7.00 an hour nets to around $6.00 an hour.  At 30 hours a week, that is 9-10 weeks to pay off that one trip.  The numbers get worse the more real-life assumptions you throw in.

And that means for 9 weeks you will be a back in the morning and a shape coming to bed at night.

I like my way better: save money, then spend it.

I hope she isn't teaching financial management.