Author Topic: Petition to label Westboro Baptist Church a ‘hate group’ is most popular on Whi  (Read 397 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Liberal_in_LA (27,208 posts)

Petition to label Westboro Baptist Church a ‘hate group’ is most popular on White House website

Petition to label Westboro Baptist Church a ‘hate group’ is most popular on White House website
The Westboro petition, one of many on the Obama administration’s ‘We the People’ website, has garnered twice as many signatures as any other petition on the site.

A petition calling on the U.S. government to officially label the Westboro Baptist Church a hate group has become the most popular on the White House website, with more than 265,000 people signing on.
That tally is more than double any other petition on the White House “We the People” website, which was created to let Americans make direct requests of the Obama administration.

Separate petitions calling on the government to investigate or revoke the group’s tax-exempt status have also received well over the 25,000 signatures required to trigger an official response from the White House.

The Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church is infamous for picketing the funerals of soldiers and victims of hate crimes.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/265k-sign-petition-label-westboro-hate-group-article-1.1228100#ixzz2GKwX3O5T

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022084125

As despicable as the WBC is I don't like the idea of the "hate group" idea. If all it takes is enough folks to petition to make any group a hate group then this country is over.

graham4anything (3,357 posts)
1. Yes to this and also to calling the NRA a hate group!

MannyGoldstein (19,641 posts)
4. Will never happen.

They're right wing, and thus are a protected class.
:whatever:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU

Look at all those right-wingers.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
MannyGoldstein (19,641 posts)
4. Will never happen.

They're right wing, and thus are a protected class.

Celebrating the death of US soldiers is a leftist trait.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
Another small example of "needing" government to reinforce the obvious.

These assclowns at WBC do spiteful things which go against Christianity.

They are full of ignorant, hateful people who dislike and reject anyone who doesn't think like them. (Official church of DU, perhaps?)

Ergo, they are a hate group.

I don't need government petition to tell me that.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline DumbAss Tanker

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022084125

As despicable as the WBC is I don't like the idea of the "hate group" idea. If all it takes is enough folks to petition to make any group a hate group then this country is over.
 :whatever:

Yeah that.  Hateful as they are, to have the government labeling groups as 'Hate groups' raises the question of consequences, and inevitably leads to government sanctions of some kind for membership in the group.  The end of this road is a place where anyone who disagrees with announced government policy automatically becomes a member of a 'hate group.'
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline ColonelCarrots

I hate them. I'm a hate person, and you don't need a petition to tell me that. They make real baptists look bad.