Author Topic: Coming train wreck- They want to cancel their healthcare until needed  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002870623

stopbush (10,514 posts)

View profile

ACA: What Happens If You Don't Get Insurance, Pay The Penalty Tax, And Then Get Sick?
Are all of your health expenses now out of pocket, or do you get some kind of coverage/offset because you paid a "health tax?"

Suppose you come down with cancer. Do you go out and buy insurance at the point you're diagnosed, or do you just go in for treatments and expect that your expenses are covered by the money paid by the large pool of those with insurance?

What if everyone did that? There wouldn't be enough money for treatment of a common cold.

B2G (904 posts)
10. If it's cheaper to pay the tax

View profile
and you can enroll immediately upon finding out you have a serious illness, what's the motiviation to enroll until then?

cbdo2007 (5,677 posts)
2. You can still go out and get insurance because you can't be excluded....

View profile
Why would you get a coverage offset for something you didn't have?? Taxes are paid at the end of the year so you would be paying it for not having coverage during the previous year. When you get sick, you can just go out and get health insurance and as soon as it becomes effective you can get treatments covered.

snooper2 (13,190 posts)
4. $695 a year or 2.5% of your income, whichever is higher...

View profile
Everybody should know this by now with all the "coverage" LOL

4th law of robotics (1,595 posts)
14. So that's about 60 bucks a month

View profile
seems it would be cheaper to pay the fine and just get insurance when you need it.

progressivebydesign (15,496 posts)
45. that's pretty slimy, actually. I'm sure that they have a way to stop people from being cheaters. n/t

Not with this regime in charge.

alcibiades_mystery (24,609 posts)
11. If you don't have insurance and you "come down with cancer," you go and get insurance, or pay out of

View profile
pocket. You can't be denied insurance for a preexisting condition.

Hoyt (7,239 posts)
47. Whatever, it's kind of disturbing seeing people already trying to game the system.

View profile

We don't have to be like the friggin greedy corporations.

In any event, this is a good step forward on what will be a long fight against all of those trying to screw society -- insurers (who will eventually be squeezed out except maybe to continue administering things like they do now with Medicare and even Medicaid); rethugs; providers; and even beneficiaries/patients who'll try to take advantage of system at expense of others.

The democrat party invented the word greed.

patricia92243 (6,983 posts)
30. What happens if you simply don't pay the tax? Would your paycheck be garnished? Would they put you

View profile
in jail?

B2G (904 posts)
31. My understanding is that the same consequences apply

View profile
as not paying your federal income taxes. You would be subject to garnishment, property seizure and any other nightmares the IRS chooses to inflict upon you.

They are also adding a buttload of IRS agents for enforcement.

Yep! obama just added 20,000 new agents.

Laelth (12,527 posts)
40. You buy insurance as soon as you suspect you are seriously ill.

View profile
Or, it appears to me, that would be the rational economic decision.

No insurance means you're on your own for the bill, but there's scant reason to buy insurance unless you are, in fact, ill. Paying the tax penalty will not count as having purchased insurance.

-Laelth

This is not going to end good.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
It's amazing... the Democrats and Obama passed a law and nobody has any idea what it actually does.

What a ******* mess.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tucker

It's amazing... the Democrats and Obama passed a law and nobody has any idea what it actually does.

What a ******* mess.

Bela Pelosi should know.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so

What a ******* mess.

Yeah but, you can see the little dim bulb lighting up over their heads. 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
Laelth

40. You buy insurance as soon as you suspect you are seriously ill.  Or, it appears to me, that would be the rational economic decision.

No insurance means you're on your own for the bill, but there's scant reason to buy insurance unless you are, in fact, ill. Paying the tax penalty will not count as having purchased insurance.

-Laelth

This is why I called this idiot an idiot when he was here.

The policy is subject to you being able to pay the premium.  What happens when you can't pay the initial premium?  That's right, it's a voided contract.  You know the insurance company still gets to ask if you have any preconditions, and they'll price the policy based upon that.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Umm, what would prevent an insurance company from charging a person with a pre-existing condition say $10,000 a month for an insurance plan?

Do they actually think Physicians are going to be falling all over each other to get on the Governments health exchange plan being offered for the po'folk?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/vb8vs/eli5_what_exactly_is_obamacare_and_what_did_it/c532iz2

Bob: Hi, insurance company. I'd like to buy some health insurance.

Insurance company: No. You had cancer when you were 3 years old, and the cancer could come back. We're not selling health insurance to you.

Bob: It's not my fault I got cancer when I was three! Besides, that was years ago!

Insurance company: If we sell insurance to you, we'll probably lose money, and we're not doing it.

Bob: But I need insurance more than anyone! My cancer might come back!

Insurance company: We don't care. We're not selling you insurance.

Obama: Hey, that's totally not fair. Bob is right, he does need insurance! Sell Bob some insurance.

Insurance company: If we have to, I guess.

Mary: This is cool. Obama said the insurance company has to sell insurance to anyone who needs it.

Sam: Hey, I have an idea. I'm going to stop paying for health insurance. If I get sick, I can always go buy some insurance then. The insurance company won't be able to say no, because Obama's told them they have to sell it to anyone who needs it!

Dave: that's a great idea! I'm not paying for health insurance either, at least not until I get sick.

Insurance company:
Hey! If everyone stops paying for insurance, we'll go bankrupt!

Obama: Oh come on Sam and Dave, that's not fair either.

Dave: I don't care. It saves me money.

Obama: Oh for god's sake. Sam, Dave, you have to keep paying for health insurance, and not wait until you're sick. You too, Mary and Bob.

Mary:
But I'm broke! I can't buy insurance! I just don't have any money.

Obama:
Mary, show me your piggy bank. Oh, wow, you really are broke. Ok, tell you what. You still have to buy insurance, but I'll help you pay 95% of the cost.

Mary: thank you.

Obama: I need an aspirin.

Insurance company:
We're not paying for that aspirin.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
B2G (904 posts)

I'm going to be arrogant for a moment, I think Beg and I have a fan, B2G looks like the name Beg but also the BG are my screen-name initials :lmao:
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
stopbush (10,514 posts)

View profile

ACA: What Happens If You Don't Get Insurance, Pay The Penalty Tax, And Then Get Sick?
Are all of your health expenses now out of pocket, or do you get some kind of coverage/offset because you paid a "health tax?"

Suppose you come down with cancer. Do you go out and buy insurance at the point you're diagnosed, or do you just go in for treatments and expect that your expenses are covered by the money paid by the large pool of those with insurance?

Why can't I just do that with my car insurance?

Offline Bad Dog

I'm going to be arrogant for a moment, I think Beg and I have a fan, B2G looks like the name Beg but also the BG are my screen-name initials :lmao:

You're so vain....etc.  (don't remember the rest of the song)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Coming train wreck- They want to cancel their healthcare until needed
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
You're so vain....etc.  (don't remember the rest of the song)

:lmao:

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
45. that's pretty slimy, actually. I'm sure that they have a way to stop people from being cheaters. n/t

Yeah, because with welfare the government has successful shown for years that they can stop people from being cheaters.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
Yeah, because with welfare the government has successful shown for years that they can stop people from being cheaters.

progressivebydesign's light bulb is burned out.

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »

What a ******* mess.

Isn't that the truth.  Just wandering amongst the threads on the island, there's so much contradictory information being spewed about, as well as errors of ommission and commission, on top of wishful thinking, which then leads to squabbles (of course).

It is a damned mess. 

Why do DUmbasses and other assorted communists always ignore human nature?  People are devising schemes right now about how to game the system.  Some are formulating ways to get rich. 

Offline jukin

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
Nothing says better and less expensive health care like 20,000 extra unionized IRS agents.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
Nothing says better and less expensive health care like 20,000 extra unionized IRS agents.
Do they get guns?  The EPA got them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
Be careful what they wish for.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Tucker

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »

And they answer to no one.

Offline Karin

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »
kelly1mm (1,868 posts)
54. I think the most gaming of the system will be from people like me. I will retire early

when I can get the medicaid for free at 133% of poverty level. I am now 41 so I will retire in two years at 43. My house/farm is paid for already and my non-tax deferred accounts generate about $17k per year in dividends/interest so my wife and I would just barely qualify. No debt at all, grow most of our own food, well, solar panels so our cost of living is about 12k per year. We had been talking about retiring early but the cost of health care was always the big stumbling block.

"Free."  In the writeups I've been looking at, it seems they're trying to shove a lot of people into Medicaid.  Too bad hardly any doctors accept it.   I've not seen this mentioned at the DUmp at all today.  

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
DUmbasses don't realize that 'can't be denied for preexisting conditions' doesn't mean 'can't be automatically billed at top tier rates for preexisting condition' or that one 'must carry insurance for X months before full coverage of preexisting condition kicks in'

It also doesn't mean 'must carry ins for X months unless a qualifying event occurs, else pay a penalty for early opt-out' doesn't apply either.

Nor does it mean you can grab insurance outside of open season " just because ".

BTW primitives. I live in Massachusetts, the land of "Romneycare". I know exactly what I'm talking about here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:58:31 PM by miskie »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 02:59:23 PM »

One person's 'Slimy' is another person's 'Own best economic interest' or 'Rational economic choice,' you damned morons, it's the very principle on which your blue-collar and minority GOTV drives are based.  Your blindness to the obvious consequences of your party's platform policies might be sad, or laughable, if you weren't pulling the rest of us into a commode-circling maelstrom of ruin right along with you.

:censored: :banghead: :censored:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
... or that one 'must carry insurance for X months before full coverage of preexisting condition kicks in'.

That's true, too.  Most healthcare plans have a 90 day elimination period.  This just keeps getting worse for the freeloaders.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
That's true, too.  Most healthcare plans have a 90 day elimination period.  This just keeps getting worse for the freeloaders.

I've seen some that were 12 months.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »

Indeed. All of the crap they are spewing has already been battletested here. None of it works. NONE OF IT.

The only change is that a person with a preexisting condition can't be denied. Nothing else involving all the other rules in signing up with a healthcare provider have been altered other than a cap on company profits and continuing coverage until age 26 for dependents.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:56 PM »
I've seen some that were 12 months.

Orthodontic work has a 24 month wait on most dental plans. Signing up at the last minute to get your kid braces isn't going to work, DUmmies.