Author Topic: I got the first COBRA bill today for my daughter.  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
I got the first COBRA bill today for my daughter.
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »
Bunny  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jan-22-11 08:20 PM
Original message
I got the first COBRA bill today for my daughter.

$600.13, due Feb. 1. She turned 19 and because she's not enrolled in college, she's being dropped from my insurance. My company's plan renews on July 1, and she can go back on my benefits then. But for the next five months, we've got to cough up that money to keep her covered. Those Dems in the Senate better not let HCR get repealed.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x252811

Don't worry none, Harry Reid has your back.  :-)
Any bets that in July we see a post that she can't afford to put the daughter back on her insurance?

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
Re: I got the first COBRA bill today for my daughter.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
That's about how much my bill was when my daughter was born after insurance paid their portion.  Payment plans are your friend, Bunny.  We paid $100 every month, interest free, for six months.  Paid the bill off without whining on a message board about it.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
That's about how much my bill was when my daughter was born after insurance paid their portion.  Payment plans are your friend, Bunny.  We paid $100 every month, interest free, for six months.  Paid the bill off without whining on a message board about it.

Then again you don't think everything should be free unless you are rich then you must pay out the nose for everything.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »
Ya know .. the DUmmies act like it is imperative to have insurance.  I went for years when I was young without insurance.  I just paid for what little medical I needed with cash. 

Unless they have some kind of preexisting condition I just don't see young healthy folks really needing it.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »

That would be the monthly premium, and they would never take a payment plan.   She isn't in college then she needs to get a job with benefits (and pay mom and dad rent).

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
That would be the monthly premium, and they would never take a payment plan.   She isn't in college then she needs to get a job with benefits (and pay mom and dad rent).

Indeed.   :cheersmate: 

And another point.  The current HCR that went into effect 1/1 covers children up to age 26 (which I think is bull shite), so.... :bouncy:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
Ya know .. the DUmmies act like it is imperative to have insurance.  I went for years when I was young without insurance.  I just paid for what little medical I needed with cash. 

Unless they have some kind of preexisting condition I just don't see young healthy folks really needing it.

KC
Exactly.  I didn't have insurance until after I had my fourth child.  And no one died...   ::) ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
That kind of Cobra payment and Obamacare was passed? and she wants to keep it intact? I thought payments like this were supposed to go down?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
Indeed.   :cheersmate: 

And another point.  The current HCR that went into effect 1/1 covers children up to age 26 (which I think is bull shite), so.... :bouncy:

It's needed to help drive the insurance companies out of business. OTOH, Obama knows that his mishandling of the economy means more young adults moving back home.

I'm surprised that Lord Zero didn't push for elder care to be covered on their children's insurance plans.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »

KC

It better to get it while you healthy then need it when your not. Just because a person is young and healthy does not mean they will be in a month. I know it's a long shot but it'd be worth it for that reason alone.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
It better to get it while you healthy then need it when your not. Just because a person is young and healthy does not mean they will be in a month. I know it's a long shot but it'd be worth it for that reason alone.

Those are the chances you take.  The government has no business forcing me to purchase it nor do they have any business forcing me to purchase it for my neighbor.

It is also a perfect example of what we, as responsible humans, must do when we can't afford something.  We don't buy it.  Unfortunately the government doesn't work the same way.  When they can't afford it they simply raise taxes instead of cutting spending.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
I did not get health insurance until I was in my late 30's. Paid out of pocket for the few trips to the Dr.

Since this girl is not going to school, she needs to get off her lazy ass and get a job flipping burgers if need be.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 10:53:38 PM »

I never saw the inside of doctors office after movin' out on my own until I was 45. Except for the few times I needed stitches and the time I got run over by a MoonBat on my scooter, I never needed no damn insurance! Even then, it was either an on the job injury or was paid for by the stooooopid bitch that ran me over! That was a long shot i was willin' to take! Saved me thousands of dollars that I used to raise my family!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 10:55:11 PM »

I win again, Primitivesssssss..... mwuhhuh Huh HUH HUHAHAHAHAHARRRRR!!!!

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »

Says the person who thinks they are getting "free" health care in Canada.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 11:09:57 PM »

I don't think it's "free", I just don't pay in the hospital. I have no issues paying through my tax for the health care I get.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »

After hearin' about the gal that lost both her legs due to the excellent treatment they get up there, I'm not so sure ya can call it "healthcare"!

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
I don't think it's "free", I just don't pay in the hospital. I have no issues paying through my tax for the health care I get.

Congrats on the understatement of the year!!! Ya need to go watch the YouTubes I've posted!

CC Healthcare thread in Politics Forum

Take special note of the one on the Kanuck system then come back and defend it.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »
I'm 52, and don't have insurance NOW, haven't for the last 8 years.  I go to the free clinic if I need to see a doctor, generic meds are $4/month.

I've paid more on insurance premiums in my life than I have spent on doctor/hospital care.

Don't think I haven't needed to go to a hospital now and then.  I've got the scars to prove otherwise.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 05:23:07 AM »
I'm 52, and don't have insurance NOW, haven't for the last 8 years.  I go to the free clinic if I need to see a doctor, generic meds are $4/month.

I've paid more on insurance premiums in my life than I have spent on doctor/hospital care.

Don't think I haven't needed to go to a hospital now and then.  I've got the scars to prove otherwise.

It may be free to you, but it's not free.

http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/25/1/22.full

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »
Umm..you can't make payment plans to pay your premium payment. They expect that amount on that date or they cancel you. Just an fyi--it's not a final bill from a hospital it is a premium that is already broken down on a monthly basis ie 600 is likely the MONTHLY premium for their COBRA.

That aside, why is it sooo imperative that a 19 year old in good health have insurance anyway? There are plenty of minute clinics that charge about 60 bucks for common ailments likely to befall a 19 year old and most prescriptions need to treat such are on the free or 4 buck list at the pharmacies. Would seem far cheaper to take one's chances and not insure her for a few months. Other than that, why is her 19 year old hiney living at home if she's not in college(which would have eliminated this discussion altogether) or working with benefits somewhere to cover--*gasp* herself or at least to provide income to cover that cobra payment if its so necessary? This isn't anybody's fault buy you and your prescious little girl. Get her butt to work and if she wants insurance so bad, she, as an adult, can help pay for it! Geez, this isn't that hard to figure out.  :thatsright:

BTW, I went from the age of 18 to about 23 without health insurance coverage...I had one 'big' incident...my wisdom teeth, which I made a payment arrangement for the anesthesia(at the time my dental woudln't cover and I didn't have medical(couldn't afford it). Paid the 500 dollar bill off in a few months.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »

Should have read this first. I totally agree! :cheersmate:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 06:27:12 AM »

We all negotiate risks in life, comp. As a 19 year old, the risk is more likely we will lose that 600 bucks a month down the drain then it actually benefiting us. Now, you may have some point considering she sounds like she's both unemployed and not in school, so perhaps leads a more risky lifestyle. We can't all hedge our bets on how things *might* be. Everything is about negotiating and calculating risks or we'd never move forward in life. Most 19 year olds will do just fine without some healthcare coverage and there is a an easy solution to this if not, this young woman needs to get to work and help her mother pay that premium or maybe even get her own benefits if this is so imperative and important. I'd be more angry at my 'little girl' if I was this woman then the cobra premium. Her parents shouldn't be the only ones coughing that money up.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
I never saw the inside of doctors office after movin' out on my own until I was 45. Except for the few times I needed stitches and the time I got run over by a MoonBat on my scooter, I never needed no damn insurance! Even then, it was either an on the job injury or was paid for by the stooooopid bitch that ran me over! That was a long shot i was willin' to take! Saved me thousands of dollars that I used to raise my family!

There a story in there :-)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 06:28:42 AM »

If you have no problem paying via your taxes, what would be so hard about paying your own individual bills after the fact?  :???: