Author Topic: Poll: Majority of Americans say they are worse off than they were two years ago  (Read 641 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x7487

Speck Tater (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-14-10 01:06 PM
Original message
Poll: Majority of Americans say they are worse off than they were two years ago

A majority of Americans feel that America has is “on the wrong track,” and that they are worse off than they were in 2008.

In a sweeping poll released by Bloomberg today, 66 percent of respondents said that they felt that “things in the nation…have… gotten off on the wrong track,” compared to just 27 percent who felt the country was heading in the right direction. 51 percent of respondents said they were worse off now than they were two years ago.

Though reducing the deficit has been a central part of political rhetoric in recent weeks, only 25 percent of respondents said that they considered “the federal deficit and government spending” to be “the most important issue facing the country.” In addition, 51 percent of Americans said they feel that in addressing the deficit, it is more important to “minimize sacrifices for the American people,” and only 40 percent said the answer is “bold and fast change” that would tackle the issue head on.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/pollmajorityofameri...

(A little antidote to the "Everyone is Optimistic" meme.)

InvisibleTouch (1000+ posts)       Tue Dec-14-10 01:15 PM
Response to Original message
1. Worse off than 2 years ago? Yes.
   At least in the financial sense (though in every other way I'm doing better - but all of that can't be sustained if you can't pay your utilities). My livelihood depends on sales, and people don't have money to spend. It was bad two years ago. It was worse last year. It's tremendously worse this year.

I do think that if I can hang on and ride it out, it will get better ... but it better happen fast!

New bonfire,could be fun. :fuelfire:

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
This means Obwana SUCKS, ya DUmbass DUmmies! Actually, I think they ought to back this up to 4 years! Ever since Bella Pelosi and Dinghy Harry Reid took control, we've been headed down the crapper!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline true_blood

InvisibleTouch (1000+ posts)       Tue Dec-14-10 01:15 PM
Response to Original message
1. Worse off than 2 years ago? Yes. At least in the financial sense (though in every other way I'm doing better - but all of that can't be sustained if you can't pay your utilities). My livelihood depends on sales, and people don't have money to spend. It was bad two years ago. It was worse last year. It's tremendously worse this year. I do think that if I can hang on and ride it out, it will get better ... but it better happen fast!
Good thing the imposter passed the "stimulus" and business tax cut bills, huh? OH! You mean,....(gasp!),they didn't work? Why is that DUmmie?
Get your head out of the sand.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
Whoever is saying they have been worse off since Obama took office is a RACIST!!!!!!111111

Our family has been worse off too, but I do not live in my car.... so I guess we're still doing fine.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline jukin

Are you better off than you were FOUR TRILLION DOLLARS ago?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
New bonfire,could be fun. :fuelfire:

I would fully expect this to be a BDS-laden thread.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Are you better off than you were FOUR TRILLION DOLLARS ago?

Actually, five trillion.

And no, I'm not.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

On balance I'm better off, not necessarily in short-term financial ways but more long-term ones...and of course two years closer to paying off the principal on the homestead, which crossed the 50% line in my favor during that time.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.