Author Topic: "Demoralized" (proud2BlibKansan)  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Tess Anderson

"Demoralized" (proud2BlibKansan)
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »
A nominee's thread:

link

Petty, jealous, and competitive as usual - "demoralizing" to me is reading this and realizing she's still a teacher:

proud2BlibKansan  (1000+ posts)        Fri Dec-10-10 08:22 PM
Original message
Demoralized
 I think I pay attention and know what's up but every once in awhile I get a surprise. This week, I found out that in the state where I teach, you can take a test and become a teacher. All you need is a college degree. It could be in basket weaving (and as a child of the 60s I do believe there are colleges out there that offer degrees in basket weaving - if there are not, please don't destroy my illusion ).

Anyhow, we have a new employee in our school. She was hired as a para but is a recently certified new teacher. She applied for a teaching position but there is a hiring freeze for teachers so she was hired as a para. She has decided that my job looks easy and so she is taking a test in January and if she passes, she too can be a sped teacher.

So my masters degree means nothing other than a few dollars more in my paycheck. I'm thinking of burning my thesis this weekend. When I think that I spent an entire summer working on that masterpiece, which was mandated for the degree I was seeking, which was also mandated for me to be certified in sped . . . .

Next week I will be evaluated for the 4th time in 3 years. I get to put on a dog and pony show while my principal sits and watches and takes notes. One of the components of our new evaluation (another new form - woopee!) is use of technology. I have 3 computers that work sort of, one that doesn't work at all, an overhead that is not worth turning on, and a tape recorder. Oh and a few Leap Pads. I'm thinking of deliberately NOT using any technology and failing that portion of the evaluation just to make a statement. Because seriously, my score on this evaluation is meaningless to me. Regardless of the number on the paper, I will still show up every morning, feed breakfast to the kids who have to pay and don't have the money, teach for a few hours, feed lunch to the kids who can't afford to pay, read a chapter of a good book to the class, teach for a few more hours, stay after school to work on paperwork and then go home. Next day, repeat. I won't do any of these things with any more or less effort because someone comes in and watches me teach a lesson and then gives me a magic number rating.

The number on my evaluation is meaningless to me. Besides, now that I know that anyone with a degree can take a test and do my job, what's the point?

Not long ago, Diane Ravitch said you can't reform education by demoralizing the very people who will be doing the work necessary to enact the reforms.

Well guess what? I'm demoralized.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: "Demoralized" (proud2BlibKansan)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:29 PM »
There's some stretching here, as usual.

That's a problem with the Die alte Sau, the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher, as her female organs below the waist seem stretched too.

The laws of Nebraska and Missouri are of course different, but I don't imagine they're that different.

In Nebraska, anyone with a four-year college degree (B.A. or B.S.) in any subject can teach in an elementary or high school.....but only as a substitute teacher, or a short-term temporary.  One cannot become a professional permanent teacher without the prerequisite college credits in education.

And thus no fat pension either.

This is how the Bostonian Drunkard, with a B.A. in "literature," managed to work as a substitute teacher in Massachusetts.  Substitute.

I don't imagine it's much different down there in Missouri.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
Is she upset that Nadin is putting up a darn good fight for Top Primitive?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »
Is there ever a time this woman DOESN'T feel "demoralized?" Is there ever something feels "meaningful" to her?

Didn't think so...

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »
There's some stretching here, as usual.

That's a problem with the Die alte Sau, the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher, as her female organs below the waist seem stretched too.

The laws of Nebraska and Missouri are of course different, but I don't imagine they're that different.

In Nebraska, anyone with a four-year college degree (B.A. or B.S.) in any subject can teach in an elementary or high school.....but only as a substitute teacher, or a short-term temporary.  One cannot become a professional permanent teacher without the prerequisite college credits in education.

And thus no fat pension either.

This is how the Bostonian Drunkard, with a B.A. in "literature," managed to work as a substitute teacher in Massachusetts.  Substitute.

I don't imagine it's much different down there in Missouri.

Frank,

My brother and I looked into doing substitute teaching a couple of years back.  I believe all that is required in MO is 60 credit hours at an accredited school.  There may be a certificate, or some other slip of paper, but that is basically all there is to it.  

edited for clarity

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »
Is she upset that Nadin is putting up a darn good fight for Top Primitive?

During the Democrat National Convention of 2008, it was the Die alte Sau who alleged Cindy Sheehan's hotel room was being bugged by the FBI.

It read as if something out of a 1960s sit-com, "Get Smart" or whatever it was, the FBI using 1960s technology to wire a telephone in 2008.

It was hilarious.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:07:23 PM »
My brother and I looked into doing substitute teaching a couple of years back.  I believe all that is required in MO is 60 credit hours at an accredited school.  There may be a certificate, or some other slip of paper, but that is basically all there is to it.  

See?  I said probably the laws of Missouri and Nebraska aren't that much different; somewhat different, but not that much.

Nebraska requires a B.A. or a B.S. for a substitute teacher, Missouri requires 60 credit hours (which is about half of a four-year college degree).

I'm damned sure Missouri doesn't allow anyone with 60 credit hours to become a permanent professional teacher, with fringe benefits and fat pensions.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I thought she taught Jr High...WTF is she feedin the kidlets for?
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13:08 PM »
During the Democrat National Convention of 2008, it was the Die alte Sau who alleged Cindy Sheehan's hotel room was being bugged by the FBI.

It read as if something out of a 1960s sit-com, "Get Smart" or whatever it was, the FBI using 1960s technology to wire a telephone in 2008.

It was hilarious.

And she's in charge of teaching the future generations?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »
And she's in charge of teaching the future generations?

The Die alte Sau's one of those code pink underwear women.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »
I thought she taught Jr High...WTF is she feedin the kidlets for?

I wish Tucker were here.

He's our house expert on the Die alte Sau.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »
My 25-year-old son graduated from college in 2009 with a degree in mass communications and after pursuing a job in broadcasting and there being no jobs realized he would rather teach and coach basketball in high school.

Because he had a degree, he was able to enroll in a program here in Texas called "I Teach Texas" and took several online courses to obtain a probationary teaching license.  He also had to take and pass in-person tests to be certified to teach English and History (he says they were difficult).  He was then able to apply for jobs teaching in any high school in Texas.  Fortunately he found a job in a crappy little town in East Texas where he's completing his one year of field experience.  Upon successful completion of that, he will be eligible to receive his full teaching license.  He's paid a full salary with full benefits.  The cost of this program is about $3500.00.  

He's having a blast.  He coaches the boys basketball team and teaches English to some rather challenging students (it's a very poor school district) but he is thriving and is really glad he decided to pursue teaching.  The State of Texas began this program to allow adults with a college degree with life and business experience to enter teaching.  

I couldn't be prouder of him.  

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »
My 25-year-old son graduated from college in 2009 with a degree in mass communications and after pursuing a job in broadcasting and there being no jobs realized he would rather teach and coach basketball in high school.

Because he had a degree, he was able to enroll in a program here in Texas called "I Teach Texas" and took several online courses to obtain a probationary teaching license.  He also had to take and pass in-person tests to be certified to teach English and History (he says they were difficult).  He was then able to apply for jobs teaching in any high school in Texas.  Fortunately he found a job in a crappy little town in East Texas where he's completing his one year of field experience.  Upon successful completion of that, he will be eligible to receive his full teaching license.  He's paid a full salary with full benefits.  The cost of this program is about $3500.00.  

He's having a blast.  He coaches the boys basketball team and teaches English to some rather challenging students (it's a very poor school district) but he is thriving and is really glad he decided to pursue teaching.  The State of Texas began this program to allow adults with a college degree with life and business experience to enter teaching.  

But it's rather, uh, deceitful of the Die alte Sau to suggest that this "teacher" in Missouri with fewer qualifications than what she has, is going to enjoy the same generous pay, magnanimous benefits, and job-protecting seniority that the Die alte Sau does.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
But it's rather, uh, deceitful of the Die alte Sau to suggest that this "teacher" in Missouri with fewer qualifications than what she has, is going to enjoy the same generous pay, magnanimous benefits, and job-protecting seniority that the Die alte Sau does.

She's a liberal democrat.  Deceit is her middle name. 

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 10:42:49 PM »
If it means those kids get a much better teacher and education then I guess someone should either get with a program and keep her job or go to the local McDonalds and work the fry station. I would personally bet that she ain't going to put up the effort and a new teacher will be in the works.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
I'd like to see a "teach-off", pitting DUmmy proud2Bdumb against DUmmy Pam Dawson. I'll bet big gobs of knowledge and learning would be flying in every direction, puddling all over the floor, and oozing out from under the door. That's a pair of dedicated educators. People like them make the public school system what it is.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »
big gobs of knowledge and learning would be flying in every direction, puddling all over the floor, and oozing out from under the door
:rotf: :lmao:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 03:04:47 AM »

Ahem ....

:argh:

You should clarify.  A 'Crappy little town in East Texas' is equivalent to a major metropolitan area in any other state. 

One of the 'Crappy Little Towns' around here is going to the State Play Offs for 3a in football.  We will be playing in Dallas Cowboy Stadium next Friday.  Just got home from the Semi-Final game.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:22 AM »
I'd like to see a "teach-off", pitting DUmmy proud2Bdumb against DUmmy Pam Dawson. I'll bet big gobs of knowledge and learning would be flying in every direction, puddling all over the floor, and oozing out from under the door. That's a pair of dedicated educators. People like them make the public school system what it is.

That's definitely H5-worthy. :bow:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »
She is the most vile, disgusting human being I have ever come across.   

proud2BlibKansan, a message to you, if you will allow.   If you worked in my district in MA, I would take incredible delight having your tenured ass fired -- the process of which being absolutely delightful to me, because I would make your job almost impossible for you to come to work everyday.   You are repulsive.  You should not be anywhere near children, never mind children with special needs.   In your entitlement saturated feeble brain, you believe you are a good teacher when you are nothing of the sort.    You sicken me, and have just secured my vote for biggest waste of breath at the DU hands down.   

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »

It was hilarious.

Considering that if the government has your cell phone number, and provided you haven't changed out your SIM chip, your ESN/MEID/IMEI (Either a 32-bit or 56-bit identifier) is still there, and bugging your phone is about as simple as flicking a switch.

DUmmies, for all their claims of intelligence, really aren't all that savvy.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 07:01:50 AM »
Annie, maybe there's a reason you are evaluated "4 times in 3 years"- you suck at teaching.

Kansas ranks low in policies on teacher quality

by Bob Weeks on December 10, 2010

States are the primary drivers of teacher policy, said Sandi Jacobs, and the states, particularly Kansas, are not doing a good job promoting teacher quality.
Kansas did not make it past the first round of Race to the Top evaluations.

The NCTQ gives an average grade of “D” to the states for their policies regarding teachers. Kansas is below average, earning a grade of “D-.”
Kansas requires multiple evaluations for new teachers, which Jacobs said is a wise policy, even though the evaluation process may not be meaningful. For teacher who have gained tenure, they are evaluated once a year in their first two years after gaining tenure. After that, evaluations are required once every three years.The policy area in which Kansas scored lowest was in exiting, or firing, ineffective teachers. Kansas labor law has special language just for teachers, and this language makes it very difficult to dismiss ineffective teachers.

Kansas is also weak in alternate certification, a process where people may become teachers without going through the traditional route through the education colleges. Kansas schools may hire such teachers only if they certify that no traditionally-prepared teacher is available. Jacobs said that research shows that alternatively-certified teachers perform well. There is strong consensus of evidence that advanced degrees do not make teachers any more effective in the classroom.
http://wichitaliberty.org/wichita-kansas-schools/kansas-ranks-low-in-policies-on-teacher-quality/

Annie, maybe there's a reason you are evaluated "4 times in 3 years"- you suck!
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 07:04:13 AM »
Annie, maybe there's a reason you are evaluated "4 times in 3 years"- you suck at teaching.
http://wichitaliberty.org/wichita-kansas-schools/kansas-ranks-low-in-policies-on-teacher-quality/

H5 for making the point stick with her, by repeating it.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »
Kansas ranks low in policies on teacher quality

by Bob Weeks on December 10, 2010

States are the primary drivers of teacher policy, said Sandi Jacobs, and the states, particularly Kansas, are not doing a good job promoting teacher quality.
Kansas did not make it past the first round of Race to the Top evaluations.

The NCTQ gives an average grade of “D” to the states for their policies regarding teachers. Kansas is below average, earning a grade of “D-.”
Kansas requires multiple evaluations for new teachers, which Jacobs said is a wise policy, even though the evaluation process may not be meaningful. For teacher who have gained tenure, they are evaluated once a year in their first two years after gaining tenure. After that, evaluations are required once every three years.The policy area in which Kansas scored lowest was in exiting, or firing, ineffective teachers. Kansas labor law has special language just for teachers, and this language makes it very difficult to dismiss ineffective teachers.

Kansas is also weak in alternate certification, a process where people may become teachers without going through the traditional route through the education colleges. Kansas schools may hire such teachers only if they certify that no traditionally-prepared teacher is available. Jacobs said that research shows that alternatively-certified teachers perform well. There is strong consensus of evidence that advanced degrees do not make teachers any more effective in the classroom.[/quote

I have to say, I found this kind of surprising. Even in Baltimore City (which is arguably one of the worst school systems in our country) teachers are evaluated yearly. It may have just been at my particular school, but even the tenured teachers had to put on the dog-and-pony show yearly.

I think our DUmmie friend is leaving out some key elements in her story-most places have a transition to teaching program, similar to what Trav was talking about his son doing. If the 'villain' in this story is already a para-educator, she most likely is only a few credits shy of having a certificate in special ed, and no doubt that the school system is helping her to get those credits. She will have to take the Praxis tests to get fully certified, but it's not so simple as taking a test and magically being certified.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »

But how does Missouri rank?

Remember, the Die alte Sau lives in Kansas, but teaches in Missouri (Kansas City, Missouri).
apres moi, le deluge