Author Topic: Californians with mental health issues are so very screwed.  (Read 4331 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Ladyhawk   (1000+ posts)             Sat Jul-11-09 12:54 PM
Original message
Californians with mental health issues are so very screwed.

Edited on Sat Jul-11-09 12:56 PM by Ladyhawk
Recently our county laid off most of its mental health care workers due to budget cuts. I lost my psychologist. A psychologist friend of mine who was working to get me seen at Stanford was laid off with no notice.

My depression is intractable. I need care that cannot be provided by my county: Vagus nerve stimulation, transcranial magnetic stimulation, deep-brain implants: SOMETHING that can help me deal with this ongoing nightmare. I've had ECT (shock treatments) once and I'd really rather not repeat the experience. Still, I doubt even that option is available to me.

Also, Medi-Cal rules dictate I cannot seek help outside the county, yet the county doesn't offer much to someone as sick as I am. Soon, there will be no mental health care available as budget cuts gut every single resource.

After the county lay-offs, I got a letter from Medi-Cal stating that it would no longer cover (among other things) psychological care, but that I was free to seek county help.

Um, excuse me? The county help just got fired. What the **** am I supposed to do?

This is a time bomb. I don't know how long I can hold on without help of some kind. And my depression picked an inconvenient time to get much, much worse.

For now, I'm trying to ignore it. I don't want to think about it. I'm afraid to call my primary care physician because I'm terrified that he, too, has lost his job due to budget cuts.

My psychiatrist really doesn't want to be here (he's a liberal and this county is a wasteland of right-wing nutjobs). If he leaves, I will be at the mercy of a fundamentalist psychiatrist who pushes her beliefs on patients. I won't seek help from her. I've been there before and there's no ****ing way.

One blessing: Budget cuts have also closed the county's nightmarish in-patient mental health care facility, where patients had to see Dr. Fundy. Great. A crazy person in charge of the loony bin. I have no idea what happens to patients needing in-patient care. Are they shipped off to a better facility? a worse one? Or are they simply turned away?

Those of us at the receiving end of this cut do not have the energy to fight it. Perhaps it was designed that way. And I rather doubt anyone is fighting for us.

I predict a large increase in suicides in California. No one cares about us.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6040002

But this has nothing to do with people like Ladyhawk voting for ever higher taxes.  :whatever:

Offline jukin

Re: Californians with mental health issues are so very screwed.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:50:13 AM »
This is just too easy.  From the leftist Obama's play book on everything else.

1. Tax mental illness.

2. ??????????

3. Mental illness is gone.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:18 AM »
So, in other words, the voting majority in Kalifornistan is screwed, eh?  Well, she's right, I don't care.  They did it to themselves.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »
Well, ladyhawk should rest easy knowing that Nancy Pelosi's marshmallow mouse habitat is receiving $16 million to thrive.  Wonder how their mental health is? 

This is what happens when people grow up believing the government is here to take care of their every need.  Yet, a "Dr. Fundy" is not even good enough for her. 

Stupid, stupid liberals.  They are the problem in this country. 

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »
transcranial magnetic stimulation

They pay for THAT??
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »
Another self-professed Little Goon with mental illness.  It knows it is mentally ill.  It shares with the world the fact it is mentally ill.  Yet its choice of politics is not to be questioned.  Somehow choosing to be a liberal is sane.

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
As soon as I saw the title I knew what DUmmie it was that posted the original screed.  :-) Unfortunately for me this DUmmie live right here in my County, but as to her words here.
Um, excuse me? The county help just got fired. What the **** am I supposed to do?
I do have a solution for her.  :evillaugh:

A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
As soon as I saw the title I knew what DUmmie it was that posted the original screed.  :-) Unfortunately for me this DUmmie live right here in my County, but as to her words here.I do have a solution for her.  :evillaugh:

Aren't you glad to know your tax $$ are going for valid, proven treatments like "transcranial magnetic stimulation"?

Why don't you ask her for her address and send her a bunch of refrigerator magnets?
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »
Aren't you glad to know your tax $$ are going for valid, proven treatments like "transcranial magnetic stimulation"?

Why don't you ask her for her address and send her a bunch of refrigerator magnets?
To hell with the refrigerator magnets, I've got Military grade electro-magnets.  :bwah:
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »
Bullets are cheap she should try using a hot lead injection right to the brain :lmao:

So sorry you are depressed but why do I have to pay for it?
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline claret1995

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:35:04 AM »

Mental illness??? Kalifornia ???

I didn't know all dummies lived in the golden state

Offline claret1995

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »
Bullets are cheap she should try using a hot lead injection right to the brain :lmao:

So sorry you are depressed but why do I have to pay for it?

Now that is funny

made me spit up my  diet snapple

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:48 AM »
As soon as I saw the title I knew what DUmmie it was that posted the original screed.  :-) Unfortunately for me this DUmmie live right here in my County, but as to her words here.I do have a solution for her.  :evillaugh:

this really isn't funny, but it should not be discounted how many people are using 'mental health' as an excuse to hit the disability 'jackpot'. The abuse, I'm sure is keeping really sick people from seeking and getting treatment and bloating the system to where it is not sustainable. Most of these idiots have situational depression issues that likely a good day of hard work and a good slap on the backside when they were kids would have cured. mental illness does exist, but I do think it is probably getting abused to epic proportions in the day and age of give me, give me, give me.

Offline CC27

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »
this really isn't funny, but it should not be discounted how many people are using 'mental health' as an excuse to hit the disability 'jackpot'. The abuse, I'm sure is keeping really sick people from seeking and getting treatment and bloating the system to where it is not sustainable. Most of these idiots have situational depression issues that likely a good day of hard work and a good slap on the backside when they were kids would have cured. mental illness does exist, but I do think it is probably getting abused to epic proportions in the day and age of give me, give me, give me.

Wanna hear something sick? My 38 year old cousin is on disability and has only 17% heart function. He has a defibrillator.

Dr. said he could do a side job to make extra cash. What does he do? He sits around all day and watches tv and a few times a month does cocaine. His brother died from damaging his heart from drugs in 1995. He was only 27.

Cousin is going down the same path. Sickening.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:58 AM »
What if Dr. Fundy led her to Christ and her depression went away?  I can understand why that kind of experimental therapy would scare her...... oh wait...... ::)
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
It's interesting that DUmmy Ladyhawk, a certified long-term crazy, although made miserable by her affliction, will accept help only from professionals and organizations that 1) are free, and 2) pass her political and religious tests. Of course, she doesn't recognize that her politics and her hatred of religion are side effects of mental illness, an exceedingly common problem among DUmmies.

It would be good to repeat a warning from over thirty years ago. It came from Archie Bunker. He warned that God is waiting patiently for the last crazy to move to California, and He will then dump the whole mess into the ocean. The few decent and civilized people who live in that state, and certainly the tiny handful who live west of the fault lines, should take heed and make plans for an immediate move eastward.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »
Bullshit. Medi-Cal does help pay for mental health, you just have to deal with what the state gives you.  I have Medi-Cal, I know what they provide and what they don't.  I am intersted in what "right wing fundy county"  she lives in, if it in fact exists.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »
A few million suicides and Californicators might stand a chance at getting a conservative government

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 03:07:02 AM »
My suggestion is that they stay out of Nevada.

Offline jukin

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 05:30:25 PM »
Follow the leftwing extremist viewpoint on healthcare.

Old people should learn to live without healthcare in the later years because they don't produce to society.

Now just what do the DUmbasses think that their liberal uberlords think about keeping permanent drains on society like...welll. DUmmys?

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 05:41:25 PM »
I need care that cannot be provided by my county: Vagus nerve stimulation, transcranial magnetic stimulation, deep-brain implants...

Doesn't one actually have to possess a brain before it can be stimulated or implanted?

Just a thought....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »
Ladyhawk   (1000+ posts)             Sat Jul-11-09 12:54 PM
Original message
Californians with mental health issues are so very screwed.

Edited on Sat Jul-11-09 12:56 PM by Ladyhawk

...My depression is intractable. I need care that cannot be provided by my county: Vagus nerve stimulation, transcranial magnetic stimulation, deep-brain implants: SOMETHING that can help me deal with this ongoing nightmare. I've had ECT (shock treatments) once and I'd really rather not repeat the experience. Still, I doubt even that option is available to me...

I've got a treatment for you that can be provided for ya; you can either self administer it, have one of your moonbat friends administer it for you, or if you're persistent enough, a city or county worker can even administer for you, if you prefer.

Take 2 of these and call your doctor in the morning if that annoying depression persists.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:44 PM »
My depression is intractable. I need care that cannot be provided by my county: Vagus nerve stimulation, transcranial magnetic stimulation, deep-brain implants: SOMETHING that can help me deal with this ongoing nightmare. I've had ECT (shock treatments) once and I'd really rather not repeat the experience. Still, I doubt even that option is available to me.

Call the waaaaaaaaaaaambulance, a DUmmie can't milk us for free health care! There's always the option of lead poisoning DUmmie!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 04:29:36 AM »
I've got a treatment for you that can be provided for ya; you can either self administer it, have one of your moonbat friends administer it for you, or if you're persistent enough, a city or county worker can even administer for you, if you prefer.

Take 2 of these and call your doctor in the morning if that annoying depression persists.

Properly administered, one will do.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 06:32:26 AM »
Properly administered, one will do.

If administered by a city or county employee, it may come in doses of 17