Author Topic: More than half of COVID hospitalizations in New York City now are "incidental"  (Read 434 times)

Offline SVPete

More than half of COVID hospitalizations in New York City now are "incidental"

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/01/07/more-than-half-of-covid-hospitalizations-in-new-york-city-now-are-incidental-n440066

“How many people in the hospital with COVID are actually there for COVID?” That’s a key question at this stage of the pandemic. The stratospheric number of cases from Omicron means we’re destined to see a steep rise in hospitalizations too, but scientists in South Africa and the UK have reported that many patients hospitalized for COVID lately don’t have symptoms. They’re being admitted for unrelated reasons and then testing positive incidentally upon intake. Scott Gottlieb estimated recently that 20 percent or so of all COVID hospitalizations during the pandemic have been incidental, but with Omicron that number has gone way up. The variant is so contagious, and in some people so mild, that they don’t realize they have it until hospital staff forces them to check.

When is a "Covid Case" not really a Covid case? :rimshot:

Author "Allahpundit" is not my favorite Hot Air writer. (S)He tends to be a little sloppy, and the last sentence in my quote above illustrates it. If you need surgery or to be admitted for something non-Covid, you will be required to do a test, at home or during the admission process. "Forced" implies more than is the case, where as "Required" is more accurate.

Chances are that the hospital bed utilization numbers reflect the exaggeration noted by the article. Many of the 10%-12% (the %s I've seen in the past week or so) of beds that are "Covid Cases" are actually asymptomatic people who probably would not have been tested but for a surgery or some unrelated illness. In terms of hospital processes, these "Covid Cases" are, properly, put on Covid floors/areas, yada, yada, yada. But they didn't enter the hospital for Covid treatment and probably won't develop Covid symptoms.

Real life is always messier than bureaucrats' categories.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

Last I heard the deaths from this variant is around 30.  Does this mean 30 deaths actually caused by omicron or 30 deaths where the deceased happened to be covid positive, but covid was not the cause of death.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Allahpundit wears his "Never Trump" banner tattooed on his forehead. Just like with the Dems, I'm sure DJT laughs like hell with all of these yahoos, including Allahpundit, allowing DJT to live in their heads rent-free.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

Allahpundit wears his "Never Trump" banner tattooed on his forehead. Just like with the Dems, I'm sure DJT laughs like hell with all of these yahoos, including Allahpundit, allowing DJT to live in their heads rent-free.

That's my other problem with "Allahpundit". Ap is full-on Trump-can-do-nothing-right Never-Trumper. Ap cannot acknowledge something Trump did right, except for in a very snark-laden post.

As I mentioned above, Ap also tends to be sloppy - sometimes not fully informed and sometimes careless in expressing ideas and factoids. Unfortunately (IOM) Ap seems to be Hot Air's main writer on matters Covid, which I've been following since late January 2020 (1. I knew that with Shampeachment 1.0 falling apart, the Dems would be seeking a new Hate-Trump faux-issue; 2. In January 2020 my daughter was home for a visit from her university in China, so she was affected directly, not allowed to return ... and still hasn't been allowed to return). So I recognize (and sometime cringe at) many of Ap's sloppinesses even though reporting is not my "day job".

Hot Air's other writers are more even-handed and seem to be better informed and more careful in expressing ideas and factoids, so Hot Air is one of my go-to news & commentary sites. "Allahpundit" I take with a block of salt or just ignore.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
That's my other problem with "Allahpundit". Ap is full-on Trump-can-do-nothing-right Never-Trumper. Ap cannot acknowledge something Trump did right, except for in a very snark-laden post.

As I mentioned above, Ap also tends to be sloppy - sometimes not fully informed and sometimes careless in expressing ideas and factoids. Unfortunately (IOM) Ap seems to be Hot Air's main writer on matters Covid, which I've been following since late January 2020 (1. I knew that with Shampeachment 1.0 falling apart, the Dems would be seeking a new Hate-Trump faux-issue; 2. In January 2020 my daughter was home for a visit from her university in China, so she was affected directly, not allowed to return ... and still hasn't been allowed to return). So I recognize (and sometime cringe at) many of Ap's sloppinesses even though reporting is not my "day job".

Hot Air's other writers are more even-handed and seem to be better informed and more careful in expressing ideas and factoids, so Hot Air is one of my go-to news & commentary sites. "Allahpundit" I take with a block of salt or just ignore.

I began reading Hot Air probably 15 years ago or so, then sort of dropped out for the past 10, returning maybe a year ago. AP's been around for a while and should know better -- but as he and Ed Morrissey are probably the founding writers/editors, I suppose AP can afford to be sloppy.

I never had an opinion about him until the length and breadth of his TDS became glaringly obvious. Agree, though, about the other writers. Ed Morrissey, in particular, is well worth reading.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.