Author Topic: Wine Bar Owner Who Defied Lockdowns Receives 90-Day Jail Sentence—But Her Legal  (Read 699 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Wine Bar Owner Who Defied Lockdowns Receives 90-Day Jail Sentence—But Her Legal Battle May Just Be Beginning
https://fee.org/articles/wine-bar-owner-who-defied-lockdowns-receives-90-day-jail-sentence-but-her-legal-battle-may-just-be-beginning/

In April, police officers located Lisa Hanson in Clear Lake, Iowa about 40 miles south of the restaurant she owns.

Officers placed her under arrest and transported her for booking. Hanson, who had not appeared for a March 10 court date, was released a few hours later. She admitted to one local news station that the experience was “unpleasant and scary.”

Hanson’s crime? She kept her restaurant—The Interchange Wine & Coffee Bistro—open in December against the order of Governor Tim Walz, who in mid November had issued a new lockdown on bars and restaurants, gyms, sports, and social gatherings. Walz’s order did not prohibit liquor stores, barber shops, salons, and retail businesses from operating.

Hanson publicly said she believed the order was unfair and a violation of her constitutional rights.

In leftist Minnesota.

Unlike Hanson, Judge Bueltel was allowed to work during the pandemic. He received a regular paycheck. It’s quite possible he saw his home appreciate in value and his portfolio swell, like so many other “essential” workers did during the pandemic.

Hanson, on the other hand, was on the wrong side of the pandemic.

In July, I interviewed Carol Roth, author of The War on Small Business, who chronicled the devastating impact lockdowns had on a particular demographic in America: small business owners. Citing figures from the Biden Administration, Roth says no fewer than 400,000 small businesses went under during the pandemic—and likely far more.

Hanson’s “crime” was attempting to avoid the same fate as these 400,000 small businesses. Many Minnesota restaurants saw revenues fall 70-90 percent during lockdowns, and she determined her restaurant couldn’t survive another one.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DLR Pyro

Meanwhile, thousands of untested and umvaccinated illegal aliens transplanted all around the country under the cover of darkness roam freely and unmolested by Law Enforcement.

Let's Go Brandon!
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
These stories really piss me off. It terrifies me to see fellow Americans so ready to roll over to big government. This is exactly why I’ve been so anti mask. If they mandated N95 masks and proof of fit test for the mask you were wearing then I’d be more inclined to think it was for actual protection of general health. The way this has been done has been to simply exert power and compliance. And they’re mostly getting it.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

These stories really piss me off. It terrifies me to see fellow Americans so ready to roll over to big government. This is exactly why I’ve been so anti mask. If they mandated N95 masks and proof of fit test for the mask you were wearing then I’d be more inclined to think it was for actual protection of general health. The way this has been done has been to simply exert power and compliance. And they’re mostly getting it.

KC

The only mask I've worn when it is required is a loose fitting bandanna but it does cover my mouth and nose which is more than I can say for most people wearing masks.

OTOH, I hope this guy can sue and win his case.

Florida man banned from United Airlines after wearing thong as mask in protest
https://nypost.com/2021/12/16/man-banned-from-united-airlines-after-wearing-thong-as-mask/

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
The only mask I've worn when it is required is a loose fitting bandanna but it does cover my mouth and nose which is more than I can say for most people wearing masks.

OTOH, I hope this guy can sue and win his case.
 https://nypost.com/2021/12/16/man-banned-from-united-airlines-after-wearing-thong-as-mask/

I understand we’re in different locales, but I really wish I’d seen more push back from the public. WE have the power to do whatever we want.

I saw 3 distinct classes of people.

Those who were absolute believers in the mask bullshit

Those who were the “go along to get along” bunch

Those who weren’t going to wear a mask no matter what

Out of that group the ones that upset me the most were the second group. It’s a large group and its people who don’t want to make waves.  The top and bottom group don’t care about the waves.

I’m going to guess that most of that middle group would have rather been in the third group, but who knows, because they’re too afraid to step out to one side or the other, for whatever reason.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

I understand we’re in different locales, but I really wish I’d seen more push back from the public. WE have the power to do whatever we want.

Out of that group the ones that upset me the most were the second group. It’s a large group and its people who don’t want to make waves.  The top and bottom group don’t care about the waves.

I’m going to guess that most of that middle group would have rather been in the third group, but who knows, because they’re too afraid to step out to one side or the other, for whatever reason.

KC

The city passed ordinances requiring masks with fines for both businesses and individuals. They did that to support the Democrat governors mandates.

Offline DLR Pyro

The city passed ordinances requiring masks with fines for both businesses and individuals. They did that to support the Democrat governors mandates.

At the risk of repeating myself...

Meanwhile, thousands of untested and unvaccinated illegal aliens transplanted all around the country under the cover of darkness roam freely and unmolested by Law Enforcement.

Let's Go Brandon!
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

At the risk of repeating myself...

Meanwhile, thousands of untested and unvaccinated illegal aliens transplanted all around the country under the cover of darkness roam freely and unmolested by Law Enforcement.

Let's Go Brandon!

It's ironic or maybe Karma, that Biden sent the invaders to red states, but it's the blue states that are seeing huge increases in covid cases. It's almost like people that are vaccinated are spreading the disease.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

KC

Put me in the 3rd group.

The ONLY exception to that occurs when I HAVE to go into a medical facility (99% of the time to pick up meds at an Air Force facility). These dumbasses don't even read the shit that's written in their name.

Everyone else? **** you. If you mandate a mask in which I have to wear to spend money in your facility, pound sand up your ass. You're not worth it.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

There were mandates in Houston when I was being asked to leave. So what?  That was the statement I was willing to make. I was putting myself out there and due to that I was asked to leave 7 places. Out of the hundred I went into. Those who asked me to leave no longer get my business.

I wish more had followed suit. I wish the go along to get along had joined in the protest. They didn’t. It bothered me and still does.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Put me in the 3rd group.

The ONLY exception to that occurs when I HAVE to go into a medical facility (99% of the time to pick up meds at an Air Force facility). These dumbasses don't even read the shit that's written in their name.

Everyone else? **** you. If you mandate a mask in which I have to wear to spend money in your facility, pound sand up your ass. You're not worth it.

I put a neck gaiter around my neck for work. I never pulled it up and no one asked. I put it on for a doctor visit I had to have for prescription drugs and threw an absolute fit. My doctor now prescribes  through telemedicine.

My company is aware they will lose several of us if a vaccine mandate is enforced and they’re fighting it. We’re not irreplaceable, but it would be tough.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

I put a neck gaiter around my neck for work. I never pulled it up and no one asked. I put it on for a doctor visit I had to have for prescription drugs and threw an absolute fit. My doctor now prescribes  through telemedicine.

My company is aware they will lose several of us if a vaccine mandate is enforced and they’re fighting it. We’re not irreplaceable, but it would be tough.

KC

Vaccination mandate -- that's another show-stopper. My employer made getting the FLU vaccine mandatory when the Covid crap started gaining steam (2 years ago, I think). I flat-out told my boss, no way. I will NOT have an employer tell me what to put in my body. He said, no sweat -- you're working remotely anyway. I said, fine.

The employer offered the Pfizer Covid jabs, and since I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I got the shots. BUT THAT WAS MY CHOICE. It wasn't a requirement.

Now my employer is trying to make getting the Covid jabs a requirement. I pitched a bitch about that, too. But as I had gotten the jabs VOLUNTARILY, there's no issue right now.

But if they make getting the booster jab mandatory, that's when I pack my bags permanently. **** that.

It's just a question of time before they do.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Vaccination mandate -- that's another show-stopper. My employer made getting the FLU vaccine mandatory when the Covid crap started gaining steam (2 years ago, I think). I flat-out told my boss, no way. I will NOT have an employer tell me what to put in my body. He said, no sweat -- you're working remotely anyway. I said, fine.

The employer offered the Pfizer Covid jabs, and since I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I got the shots. BUT THAT WAS MY CHOICE. It wasn't a requirement.

Now my employer is trying to make getting the Covid jabs a requirement. I pitched a bitch about that, too. But as I had gotten the jabs VOLUNTARILY, there's no issue right now.

But if they make getting the booster jab mandatory, that's when I pack my bags permanently. **** that.

It's just a question of time before they do.

When I was talking about wearing a gaiter for work that was strictly when I had to go into a plant like Dow or Exxon, our company doesn’t require anything. We worked from home for about 2 months until everyone figured out what was going on then went right back to the office.

Our company is relatively small, maybe $150MM per year, so I know and interact with everyone from the CEO down. Our risk management officer is fighting the mandates and trying to figure out how to keep us out of them if they come to be.

It still doesn’t bother me if someone wants to wear a mask or get the vaccine, it’s a personal decision, but no one is going to force me to do either.

KC

*Stolen