Author Topic: primitives get stimulated  (Read 1525 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives get stimulated
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2856666

Oh my.

MaineDem  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 08:38 AM
Original message

Stimulous checks only an advance??

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I tried a search but couldn't come up with anything.

I heard a discussion on tv this morning that this check will only be an advance on our 2008 tax returns, much like it was the last time. I thought sure I had read somewhere that it was not going to be.

I know DUers are more informed that the average tv talking head. Is this check deal another sham?

Thanks!

One has no idea what the dumb Mainer is talking about, in the bold above.

Anyway.

NYC  (1000+ posts)     Wed Feb-13-08 08:55 AM
Response to Original message

1. I don't think it is engraved in stone yet.

Like you, I heard it would not be an advance.

However, I think that wasn't entirely settled.

MaineDem  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 09:06 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. Thanks

I know the idiot-in-chief is about to sign the bill (tomorrow, I think.)

reformedrethug (12 posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 09:12 AM
Response to Reply #1

3. From what I heard yesterday on the radio it is NOT an advance, it is a rebate, gift, handout, whatever you want to call it but not an advance on next years tax refund.

Iris (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-13-08 09:43 AM
Response to Reply #3

7. that's nice to hear, since mine is not even going to come to me, but go directly towards paying down the tax bill I owe from 3 years ago. At least their not robbing my Peter to pay my Paul.

semillama (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 09:12 AM

4. It's an advance on a future tax cut, like the first time they bribed us.

fight4my3sons  (894 posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 09:36 AM

5. My husband is saying...that the state is going to tax us on the income.

Probably one of those money-grubbing blue states, right?

George65 (52 posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 09:39 AM

6. rebate

The 2008 tax forms should have a line for the new credit. When calculating taxes next year, taxpayers will have to subtract what they got as a rebate check the previous summer This doesn't mean you'll have to pay back the rebate amount you get in 2007. It just means that since you got it early (i.e., the summer of 2007), you can't claim it again on your 2008 return.

"Some people might think that's unfair," says Luscombe, "but they got the money, and they got it early."

One thing taxpayers won't have to worry about is giving back any excess if their 2008 taxes show that the advance this year was actually more than they should have received.

"If it turns out that credit on your 2008 return is greater, you get to take that additional amount," says Luscombe. "If it's lesser than what you got in 2007, you don't have to refund that back to government." The law says the IRS can't recover the extra payment by reducing your 2008 refund or adding to your 2008 tax bill.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/news/taxguide/20080212...

MaineDem  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 09:53 AM
Response to Reply #6

8. Thank you but I'm still confused

What did we get in 2007?

fed-up  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-13-08 11:11 AM

9. great explanation in this article-"How tax rebates work in stimulus package"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/0...

How tax rebates work in stimulus package
Kathleen Pender, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 12, 2008

..snip

"The rebates represent a 2008 tax cut. But instead of getting the tax cut next year, when you file your 2008 return, you'll get it this year."

..snip

You know, again I'm greatly confused.

I thought the primitives liked taxes, and so would be happy to pay more, instead of getting rebates and refunds.

I dunno.  One can't make sense of the primitive logic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: primitives get stimulated
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
I thought the primitives liked taxes, and so would be happy to pay more, instead of getting rebates and refunds. I dunno. One can't make sense of the primitive logic.

Right. I guess the DUmmies can send the checks back with a note:
"Please keep this check and apply it to the national debt", or something like that. But of course they won't and you just know some DUmmie somewhere is doing the mental math:

"I wonder how many palettes of Cheetos can I get with my tax rebate?"  :-)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: primitives get stimulated
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
I thought the primitives liked taxes, and so would be happy to pay more, instead of getting rebates and refunds. I dunno. One can't make sense of the primitive logic.

Right. I guess the DUmmies can send the checks back with a note:
"Please keep this check and apply it to the national debt", or something like that. But of course they won't and you just know some DUmmie somewhere is doing the mental math:

"I wonder how many palettes of Cheetos can I get with my tax rebate?"  :-)

And dime bags . . .  :mental:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.