Author Topic: burdened primitive defends U.S. auto industry  (Read 1247 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
burdened primitive defends U.S. auto industry
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2851626

Oh my.

The burdened primitive.

Tyler Durden  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-12-08 11:38 AM
Original message

For those who think Foreign Car makers have a better product...guess again.   

Now don't get me wrong...I think ALL cars made today are shit. But as someone who has been watching the US Auto industry circle the bowl trying to catch up from the "Foreign Cars are made of GOLD" myth and the US Consumers being told by their own egos that bigger is always better (when was the last time you saw a Saturn Coupe in one a Country Music Television or VH1 music video?) I have to protest here.

The US auto industry makes a product comparable with ANYTHING the Japanese, Koreans, or Germans (in the lower price range) makes. And if you want to argue, argue with this:

TOP AUTO RECALLS OF 2007

http://news.thomasnet.com/IMT/archives/2007/10/top_13_a...

[after which a list of defects by foreign automobile manufacturers; too long to quote here]

The primitives immediately engage.

EnviroBat  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-12-08 11:43 AM
Response to Original message

1. Thanks, I will.

Tyler Durden  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-12-08 11:45 AM
Response to Reply #1

3. So give me a good reason... 

And no anecdotal shit either. I can tell you horror stories about a Datsun 210, a Datsun 310, and a Subaru Legacy all owned by me whose engineering caused their demise.

EnviroBat  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-12-08 11:56 AM
Response to Reply #3

10. I'll give you 1 ****ing good reason. A piece of shit Dodge Neon almost got me killed. As the power-steering pulley sheared off of the pump shaft causing the steering to almost lock on an icy road sending me into a parked truck. The car, by the way, was totaled, and in the front end collision, the AIR BAG FAILED TO DEPLOY.

There's your ****ing reason! Beyond that, every American car I've had the misfortune of owning has been nothing more than a disposable, over-priced, over-plastic piece of crap. Oh, another little tid-bit for you, the Neon was 18mos old. The official recall on that vehicle? Throttle can lock open in cold weather. All cars are shit, but I'll take my chances with the new Honda I'm buying at the end of the month. Here's some stats for ya.

[after which a long list of automotive recalls; too long to quote here]

Tyler Durden  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-12-08 12:04 PM
Original message

My Datsun 310 blew a non blowable CV joint on the FREEWAY.... 

SMASHED the crankcase draining ALL of the oil in less than 2 seconds, and was HEAVILY on FIRE before I could get it to the side of the road and run for my life. I think that tops your NEON.

EVERYONE has an anecdotal experience with a car. They ALL suck, and I have news for you: HONDA is creeping up in recalls. Every time you turn the key, remember an American Family who is going into foreclosure; no matter HOW you justify that, you helped it happen.

Beep beep.

EnviroBat  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-12-08 12:08 PM
Response to Original message

25. Bullshit...

Look at the "Stats" provided. I don't think I'll be flushing my money on a Ford or GM anytime soon. Maybe the American family boo hoo anecdotal experience you mention would be less frequent if they didn't have to blow all their extra cash on CAR REPAIRS.

It's a fascinating bonfire, the primitives squibble-squabbling and angrily flashing their arm-pits at each other in violent disagreement.  It's well worth getting out the boat and rowing over to Skins's island to see it.

Name removed (0 posts)      Tue Feb-12-08 12:10 PM
Response to Reply #25

30. Deleted message

Message removed by moderator. Click here to review the message board rules.

Name removed (0 posts)      Tue Feb-12-08 12:11 PM
Response to Reply #30

31. Deleted message

Name removed (0 posts)      Tue Feb-12-08 12:31 PM
Response to Reply #46

48. Deleted message

You know, for thinking themselves a higher, nobler sort of beings than the ordinary run of humanity, the primitives sure seem to get all excited about material things.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: burdened primitive defends U.S. auto industry
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »
That's what you get when union rules dictate that it must take four workers over two shifts to tighten one nut. 

Quality suffers.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: burdened primitive defends U.S. auto industry
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »
I've got a 2002 Saturn SL sedan.  It's got 80,845 or so miles on it.  I'm going to run it into the ground, but try to take care of it in the meantime.  My wife drives a used 2001 Toyota Corolla, and that's got almost 97,000 miles on it.  Next vehicle for me, I'll be looking for a used Toyota Tacoma, probably.

My brother is the comptroller for a car chain in this area.  He told me that of the seven franchises in the dealership chain, the American-made ones are hurting, and the Japanese ones are roaring.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.