Author Topic: Why do we need an army?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Why do we need an army?
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2855313

penguin7  (806 posts)        Tue Feb-12-08 10:00 PM
Original message
Why do we need an army?
   I do not get it. We have Mexico to the south, Canada to the north. Do we have an army to defend ourselves from these countries?

Is some country actually going to create an armada, cross the Atlantic or Pacific ocean and then invade the USA?

Do we need an army to defend ourselves from a 911 type event. Didn't the USA have an army on 9/11/01? How did the military defend us on this date?

Shouldn`t take long...

fenriswolf  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-12-08 10:01 PM
Response to Original message
1. they didn't
   cheney ordered our air force to stand down. We need a standing army because other people have a standing army. Believe it or not their are countries that would invade america if we did not have an army.

And if a civilian jet had been shot down you imbeciles would be screaming to high heaven over it.

thunder rising  (1000+ posts)         Tue Feb-12-08 10:02 PM
2. I like that. There is no defense against a surprise attack. There is only revenge.

Yeah,so?

pocoloco  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-12-08 10:03 PM
4. How would we get all of our oil back without an army?

Insert talking point here. ::)

wuushew (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-12-08 10:08 PM
6. The U.S. is really no prize either
   any one that stepped foot here would find it over run with gun wielding rednecks.

Awwwwww,how`s the hatred feeling? :lmao:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Why do we need an army?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:28:14 PM »
wuushew (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-12-08 10:08 PM
6. The U.S. is really no prize either
   any one that stepped foot here would find it over run with gun wielding rednecks.

Then why do they stay? Honestly...I'd really like to know. There are plenty of other countries in this world more in line with their values. Of course many of those won't tolerate the kind of hatred they spew but that seems a small price to pay for living somewhere that mirrors your values. Besides what would there be to complain about if you were living some place else.

I know they love being miserable, for some reason they equate misery with wisdom. But I also think they know they've got it easy here in spite of how hard they're trying to pretend they have it. I don't think they have the courage to move anywhere else.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:38:58 PM »
Well, dammit, SOMEONE has to go rescue the Marines when they bite off more than they can chew, and the Navy and Air Force sure as Hell ain't gonna do it.

:-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »
Well, dammit, SOMEONE has to go rescue the Marines when they bite off more than they can chew, and the Navy and Air Force sure as Hell ain't gonna do it.

Your right.  The Air Force comes and rescues you.

"Aww shit, some guys firing at us."

"Well, just call an F-16 in to bomb him out."

You guys have whole convoy's of troops all armed and stuff.  We just gotta send one F-16 to launch a flair to chase them away.  :tongue:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
Rather than being a Cold War relic, I think "Red Dawn" is more compelling than ever.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »

You guys have whole convoy's of troops all armed and stuff.  We just gotta send one F-16 to launch a flair to chase them away.  :tongue:

The problem with calling the Air Force for help is that they tend to be eager to unload the ordnance and get back in time for Oprah, without always being maybe as concerned as the people on the ground about where it actually lands.

:-) :cheersmate:

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »

The problem with calling the Air Force for help is that they tend to be eager to unload the ordnance and get back in time for Oprah, without always being maybe as concerned as the people on the ground about where it actually lands.

Well really, what's the point in having an Air Force when we have Naval Aviation? The Navy can do everything the AF does, better, and bring the air base to you. :tongue:
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline djones520

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

Well really, what's the point in having an Air Force when we have Naval Aviation? The Navy can do everything the AF does, better, and bring the air base to you. :tongue:

Good luck with landing that C-5 on your aircraft carrier.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:26:50 PM »
Because it keeps your sorry ass safe, DUmbasses.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:08 PM »

Good luck with landing that C-5 on your aircraft carrier.

No problem, we'll just line up two carriers side-by-side.

Of course, the arresting cable would have to be roughly the diameter of a medium-size Sequoia....    :-)
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »

Hey now..... :censored: :tongue:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:41:19 AM »
All in good sport, God bless all those who go in harm's way for the greater good, and not omitting the Puddle Pirates, cops, and smoke-eaters.

:bravo:

Offline Vegasguy

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Husker Football
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 11:04:07 AM »
This has got to be one of the stupidest threads I've ever come across!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »
That's because DUmmies are some of the stupidest people you'll ever come across.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
That's because DUmmies are some of the stupidest people you'll ever come across.
Two words too many . . .  :thatsright:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 11:56:01 AM »
If we didn't, Sarge wouldn't have anything to do!
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »
What that libtard calls "revenge" is actually meant to make sure the same people dare not strike us again.

So far, it seems to be working.

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama