Author Topic: They say that cops have a difficult job-  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
They say that cops have a difficult job-
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2854625

TheFriendlyAnarchist (1000+ posts)         Tue Feb-12-08 07:50 PM
Original message
They say that cops have a difficult job-
   Advertisements [?]

and that because of this, we need to grant them leniency when they make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, right? After all, we have jobs, and know that sometimes shit happens. Most of us aren't scrutinized or faced with the loss of a career whenever we do any little thing wrong. Why should it be different for them, especially when they are the ones who do quite a bit of work to try to make our communities safe?

But it is that very last sentence that provides the reason why they should be different. Police officers do indeed have very difficult jobs, and there is a great responsibility that comes with their work. Because of that responsibility, we give them incredible power over us in our daily lives. That power is what attracts many of the bad apples out there. It is a legal way to put yourself above others.

Giving them that power means that we must keep a balance, as well as a good eye on the use of that power. We as a people need to require the scrutiny of cops when something happens. Instead of saying, "It's tough, let's give him a break" we need to look at it like it is; a possible abuse of power. Just because it's 'hard work' doesn't mean that they should get a free pass to do what we are not allowed to. Cops are often necessary, but that does not mean that we shouldn't raise the standards of who can be one.

When we give someone that power, we have to be sure that they don't abuse it. That scrutiny comes with the job. Don't accept that power and the responsibility of being a police officer if you are unwilling to own up to the enhanced eye that will be on you. This is not a message that we should hang 'em high- simply a reminder that if we are willing to give up our rights to these gentlemen and women, we should remember that it is OUR responsibility to make sure that they don't take advantage of the situation.

They are on a roll tonight. ::)

mrcheerful  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-12-08 07:59 PM
Response to Original message
3. After seeing the way cops deal with people I have only one thought, there is very little
   difference between a cop and a criminal. Sure theres exceptions to the rule, but over all cops are for the most part out to solve a crime as fast and with as little effort as possible. This whole justice system today is not about innocent until proven guilty, times have changed to where one is guilty in the eyes of the law until proven innocent beyond a shadow of doubt in a court of law and even then in some cases even after proven innocent in a court of law cops can and have harrassed people. The cops "know" that person was guilty and only got off because he had a "good" trial lawyer.

thunder rising  (1000+ posts)         Tue Feb-12-08 08:00 PM
4. The police abuse came with the republicans. Something bout that "kill them all" policy. go figure
   Edited on Tue Feb-12-08 08:02 PM by thunder rising
For the most part it's not about law enforcement, it's about assimilation. They hate people that are not exactly cut to the mold of the right wing white christian.

Hard to imagine stupid this deep can exist but it does.

backscatter712 (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-12-08 08:27 PM
9. They ain't getting a break from me.
   Every time they screw up, someone does, or is maimed, or is falsely imprisoned, or has their life ruined.

Why should I cut them a ****ing break, when their ****ups are so destructive?

I damn well am going to demand perfection.

Wonder how much they would enjoy living in a real police state like say their beloved Cuba.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: They say that cops have a difficult job-
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:45:53 PM »
Next time they get assaulted or robbed, they should call a hippie.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »
No one ever said that cops who screw up, especially those who purposely screw up shouldn't be held accountable. The issue is that there are somewhere around 700,000 sworn officers in the U.S. performing literally millions upon millions of individual acts of law enforcement every year, yet you DUmbasses are always chomping at the bit to pull out some isolated action by a wayward cop and use it to paint all police as the Gestapo.

Even if you could dredge up stories of ten egregious acts by ten different cops every week for a full year, you'd still have only demonstrated questionable behavior in 0.07% of the total workforce. Yet you dig up a couple of videos off YouTube every now and then or an occasional Bouncy story from your own site (and let's face it, DU pretty much holds the concession on lying ****heads, doesn't it?) and use them to illustrate how "all cops are pigs". Is it any wonder you're the laughingstock of the political internet and an embarrassment even to other liberals?  :loser:
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
I agree in essence with what the guy is saying, but not with the intent.

All police forces should be held to a higher standard, and should be severely punished when causing an infraction that could lead to the loss of life.

It works no differantly in the military.  If you make a mistake, no matter how small, that has the potential to kill someone, expect to be hit with the book as hard as possible.

Police should be held to the same standards.  They have a lot more responsibility then most, but that doesn't mean they should be given more leeway.  If you trust someone with that much responsibility, then they should be able to handle it.  If not, then they need to be handled appropriately.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »
I dunno, dandi and djones.

As a professional civilian and someone who's never had anything but pleasant contacts with policeman in various places, I'm willing to allow both cops and soldiers to be human.

American cops and American soldiers have always been more decent and civilized than cops and soldiers from anywhere else in the world.

But we're all human, and sometimes "lose it."

It's demanding too much that cops and soldiers be 100% perfect.

Ninety-nine percent perfect, ninety-nine percent better than the ordinary run of humanity, is good enough.

And they're both 99%.

Excresence happens.  Tanker took me to task over at the other place several months ago, saying "excresence happens" isn't an acceptable excuse (he was referring to the military in this instance).

Well, it's great and all that, that for some people "excresence happens" isn't an "acceptable" excuse, but in my own humble personal individual opinion, it is.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:45:08 AM »
I dunno, dandi and djones.

As a professional civilian and someone who's never had anything but pleasant contacts with policeman in various places, I'm willing to allow both cops and soldiers to be human.

American cops and American soldiers have always been more decent and civilized than cops and soldiers from anywhere else in the world.

But we're all human, and sometimes "lose it."

It's demanding too much that cops and soldiers be 100% perfect.

Ninety-nine percent perfect, ninety-nine percent better than the ordinary run of humanity, is good enough.

And they're both 99%.

Excresence happens.  Tanker took me to task over at the other place several months ago, saying "excresence happens" isn't an acceptable excuse (he was referring to the military in this instance).

Well, it's great and all that, that for some people "excresence happens" isn't an "acceptable" excuse, but in my own humble personal individual opinion, it is.

Frank, I'll agree with you, but I would like to differentiate between "excresence happening" and willfully doing something wrong.  There are those times when an otherwise good cop or soldier is just in a bad situation and the results are not pretty.  Then there are those that willfully do something horrid.  Those are the ones that need their backsides kicked.

Unfortunately, DUmmies think cops and soldiers should always do their job with no risk to any civilian any where at any time (including no risk to the person they are trying to apprehend), and in the real world, that's just not possible.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:48:23 AM »
Frank, I'll agree with you, but I would like to differentiate between "excresence happening" and willfully doing something wrong.  There are those times when an otherwise good cop or soldier is just in a bad situation and the results are not pretty.  Then there are those that willfully do something horrid.  Those are the ones that need their backsides kicked.

That is my definition of "excresence happens."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:05:21 AM »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Of course there are crooked cops, but Thunder Rising takes this to a whole different level by blaming it on the RW  :bs:

And the OD (Original DUmmie) of this thread sets the stage for idiots like Thunder Rising.

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 09:11:18 AM »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Of course there are crooked cops, but Thunder Rising takes this to a whole different level by blaming it on the RW  :bs:

And the OD (Original DUmmie) of this thread sets the stage for idiots like Thunder Rising.

Sounds like a new term!  Original Dummy!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.